1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding Radar Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mkarolian, Aug 4, 2015.

1. mkarolian

mkarolian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read a few threads on the inability (or the unfeasibility) of retrofitting the radar cruise control system to non-advanced technology package priuses.

Does anyone have a list of the parts that would be needed, above and beyond what is currently sitting in the cars as they are now?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need the part called the "Prius V/Five"

Boston Jim, Burna J and AzWxGuy like this.
  3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised it's not available aftermarket.

All you really need is a CC with a radar sensor that will adjust speed if you're closing in on someone and speed up once the blockage resolves.

Question, for those who have it, how does this radar avoidance tech play in states that make radar detectors illegal to have/use. Does the tech in any way cross over? I'd think not since (from what I've been told) radar detectors send out a signal the cops can detect to know if you're using one.

sandy_1234 likes this.
  4. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think you understand the function very well, the function is build into the ABS modulator, which the market called it "ACC", adaptive cruise control, the module needs to communicate with the radar, (to detect distance), brake ( in order to do auto brake), and also throttle, ( in order to accelerate).

That's why there is not much aftermarket parts available because it's more complicated than you think, besides, the deceleration and acceleration needs to be calibrate in order to suit the car.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I like charging people $5 to get a ride in my Prius V with Radar Cruise. You set the cruise at 80mph and just let go. The car will accelerate the fastest it can to get you to 80mph and with traffic ahead of you, it does this emergency braking thing and scares the crap out of you and your passengers. Once the traffic clears in front, it does it all over again. This technology should have been sold to Disneyland

#5 JC91006, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  6. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, the function needs to be calibrated well, it's most likely be the supplier's fault. in this case, Advics. But however, Toyota engineers must do the final evaluation to give it a "go ahead" in production. The emergency braking is more a safety function than comfort function, besides it needs to pass through regulations. But i admit, some of the calibrations are just crappy. They just calibrated in the computer and never consider human feeling.

7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We have the AT package with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and we love it! It does take a little getting used to, but once you understand how it works, it works great; not like described above - driving 80 mph is not the best way to optimize Prius performance - driving 80 mph in slower traffic is a Disneyland ride. I don't know how we got along without it!

Filipe PT likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The DRCC promotes lazy driving and helps you get drowzy faster than normally would. If you are tired, this will help you sleep behind the wheel.....but the good thing is, it'll also brake for you.....unless you go off a cliff

xpcman likes this.
  9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Really? We have found that not to be the case. Do you have some research that will support your opinion? Do you have DRCC on your Prius?

10. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I have DRCC on my 2010 Prius V. I like demonstrating the features to my friends in the passenger's seat, all the while driving in rush hour traffic in SoCal. The features scares the crap out of anyone in that passenger seat.........especially when it speeds onto slow traffic that's far ahead and brakes at the very last second.....it's a hell of a rush for me and a really bad experience for the people in the passenger seat as they brace for impact. They literally beg me to slow down and brake

At certain times when I drive 300 miles to Las Vegas, I would use DRCC and LANE KEEP ASSIST when I'm drowsy. I know using this feature I won't run into the car in front of me and the lane keep assist will keep me in my lane. I literally can nap behind the wheel.....just have to make sure I don't drive off a cliff as there is no precaution for that.

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get that, but I respectfully disagree. At least with the Prius, a good part of braking is done by the electric motor. I know with CC it will use the regenerative braking to keep from going too fast on a downhill grade, and it has some serious effect on a level surface if you use COAST to lower the speed setting by several MPH.

So, while it would not do an "emergency" brake like DRCC, it could slow you down enough to keep you from plowing into someone ahead of you because they are going slower than you are. I'm sure it would have to be more predictive of things farther ahead to allow for the reduced braking power available as compared to DRCC.

Of course, it still would not work for ordinary cars, so you are correct in that a more universal aftermarket kit would have to find a way to tap into the braking system or it might not be cost-effective to produce.

Then it kicks in right before you hit bottom. :)

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Operator error either not understanding how to use or purposely misusing the system. You aren't demonstrating ACC, your demonstrating emergency braking. Proper ACC use would have the operator drop the set speed down when approaching traffic that is going much slower.
    If you leave the acc set to 70mph while exiting the freeway and approaching a red light intersection, ugly things are going to happen. If you gradually reduce the speed from 70 to 30mph in increments, ACC will come to a reasonably smooth stop at the intersection behind the last car.

Back to the OP's question, get another vehicle with this (and other subsystems) built in and warrantied. They are WORTH the money. You have a 2008, so there's no way the different generation ECU's would talk to each other correctly.

14. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thats why i said it needs to be calibrated well. And regen braking only able to do a 0.1-0.2g(the max) deceleration, anything exceeds these deceleration rate will still use conventional braking.

15. huclee

huclee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A