1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Additional Front/Rear Strut Replacement Parts Needed Too?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exstudent, Apr 30, 2014.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was wondering if these parts are also necessary when replacing the front and rear struts.

Front Suspension PDF part image breakdown (top to bottom):
    REQUIRED-Front Suspension Support Sub-Assembly (LH/RH)
    optional??-Front Suspension Support (LH/RH) Dust Seal
    optional??-Front Coil Spring Seat Upper (LH/RH)
    REQUIRED-Front Coil Spring Insulator Upper (LH/RH)
    optional??-Front Spring Bumper (LH/RH)
    REQUIRED-Front Coil Spring Insulator Lower (LH/RH)
    REQUIRED-Front Strut (LH/RH)

Rear Suspension PDF part image breakdown (top to bottom):
    optional??-Rear Shock Absorber No.1 Cushion
    optional??-Rear Suspension Support Assembly (LH/RH)
    REQUIRED-Rear Coils Spring Insulator Upper (LH/RH)
    optional??-Rear No1 Spring Bumper (LH/RH)
    REQUIRED-Rear Strut (LH/RH)

Attached Files:

blaisep likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had my rear's done, I just changed you marked down as required. Although I could have changed out the support assembly as well, my car had 123k miles on it.

I plan on doing the front ones later. But they are not leaking right now and the tires don't show any problems with the struts. Keeping them on until I decide I need to tackle them.

Do you plan on DIY? If you not, I can recommend a person that can do the front and rear's for about $200 total charge.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was planning to DIY, masochistic like that. But if its truly $200 total labor for Front AND Rear, I will seriously consider it; not looking forward to disassembling the front cowl to get to the front struts.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it's seriously only $200 for both front and rears. I paid $80 for the rears and he told me the fronts would be more. So $200 should cover all. He did my rears in less than 1 hour....I was shocked at the knowledge of the car. He's obviously done these with his eyes closed before.

Even if you were to do the rears DIY, you would still have to pay someone to compress the springs for you, that's easily $20. So basically it's a $60 labor charge.

5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would you be willing to share your mechanic's name with us? I could go for the $200.00 shock replacement on my 110 thousand mile 2008.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    His name is Tommy 626-823-2853, his shop is in So. El Monte. The prices I quoted are for labor only. You provide your own parts

Jonathan L, stonerider and krmcg like this.
  7. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a really good price. I'm going to drive 100+ miles to El Monte and get this done by Tommy.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  8. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @JC91006,

You said "You provide your own parts"
    What were the parts you provided? Would you be able to list them? Thank you, much appreciated!

9. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @JC91006
    What specific parts did you provide? I will be needing to get this done on my Prius. Thank you!

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EXSTUDENT in post #1 above has the parts listed as "required". When I replaced my rear shocks, I replaced what he listed as "required".

stonerider likes this.
  11. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, got it! Thank you, JC91006!

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's also great if you are traveling up from San Diego to make an appointment with Tommy. He doesn't have a "mechanic" shop but has a shop with a lift and you would be his only customer during that appointment time. No real waiting and he won't have another car to attend to while he's working on yours.

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The one part that I listed as "optional???," should be changed to REQUIRED:
    front upper dust seal - will need two (right & left)​

Here are the parts and cost my front strut and rear shock replacement (8/2014): ~$319 (KYB stuff came from Amazon. Toyota parts Camelback online).
    KYB front strut, $41 left, $53 right
    KYB front strut mount, $48 each
    KYB rear shocks, $58 each
    KYB rear bellow (didn't need; discovered after the rear shock off the car), $6used, $10new
    KYB rear mount kit, $6used, $9new (rubber stuff; could reuse old stuff, but easier and so cheap to replace now).
    Toy font upper dust seal, $4.56/ea (the old one will be soaked in oil/grease)
    Toy front upper insulator (big rubber boot; must get as the old one will be trash), $16.15/ea
    Toy front lower insulator (just get, even though yours will probably appear in great shape; maybe old part will fall apart in 20k miles?), $10.57/ea
    Toy rear upper insulator (just get, even though yours will probably appear in great shape; maybe old part will fall apart in 20k miles?), $9.62/ea

EDIT.
    When the rear shocks get replaced, I recommend cleaning the HV Battery fan. Why? B/C you will have access to it due to the right rear strut getting replaced. You will be amazed at how much lint build-up is on the fan blades! And I don't have a dog, nor was one every carried in the car, nor has anyone really sat in the back seat for any length of time.

Compressed air will get rid of most of the lint. However, there is a strong layer that sticks. Taking q-tips to remove this strong lint layer would take forever, and you'd use a million q-tips. I ultimately used a hand operated spray bottle with water, to knock off all the lint. If you remove the HV fan, you can see that you just have to angle the fan a certain way so the water drips to the ground and not onto any electrical components.

#13 exstudent, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Yosarian, Jonathan L and blaisep like this.