1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adjust DC-DC output voltage && Two

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by overlap, Jun 5, 2010.

1. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to add to what's already been thrown out here, the Prius does an SOC "recalibration" (as it's been termed here) when it's internally estimated SOC varies drastically from the calculated SOC (that is to say, if the battery conditions change considerably during the drive it will "drift" to a newly calculated SOC to compensate for the additional / missing energy in order to prevent damage to the batteries). It's not necessarily tied to a specific voltage but generally happens at higher voltages because its easier to estimate SOC as the NiMH batteries start running up the "knee" of the voltage curve.

Introduction of an outside source of energy into the batteries (through a DC/DC converter in this case) will frequently trigger this drift procedure since there are small inaccuracies that slip in (noise, voltage differences, etc). It's not really a problem so long as the recalibration drift occurs before the batteries get damaged (an unlikely prospect given the other safeties in place I'll admit but meh, I've learned not to discount possibilities).

Andrew

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: SOC Measurement

My understanding of the Enginer system is the opposite. The DC-DC converter is connected to the HV bus in-FRONT of the HV ECU sensor so that current flow INTO the OEM battery IS measured. Some other PHEV systems (contactor type) connect on the other side of the sensor and have to spoof the SOC to work correctly. Of course, current flow into the OEM battery is never measured 100% correctly...even for a non-PHEV Prius...thus the need for an occasional recalibrate.

3. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MJFrog is correct that the Enginer Kit's high-voltage (connected to the pair of contactor terminals that are most distant from the factory Prius battery) IS counted by the factory Prius Coulomb counter.

BTW, I have been unable to increase the Amperage of the 5000 Watt Converter to anything close to 5000 Watts, or really much over it's factory default settings.

If we can believe a ScanGaugeII, the Battery AMPs has *NEVER* gone above 10.9 on my Prius. Accounting for a maximum of 2 amps to run the car (and often I see much less than this when I turn the Enginer Kit off), lets say this is 13 AMPS. 13 * 242 = 3146 Watts. (And I think this is much higher than an average or when one really needs the power when the voltage is 200 or 210 volts.)

I have 6 KW of batteries and want to feed in more AMPS. Has ANYONE been able to increase the output power more than this?

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    with 6kwh of batteries you could probably run two converters in parallel.

5. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone been able to get 4000 Watts out of the 5000W converter?

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I run mine at right around 3600W peak for a Gen II, given the constraints of the 14-15 amp current limit to prevent throwing a code.

7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the max current output is selectable on the unit then?

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    What are you using to measure the 3600? Math formula or "instrument".

9. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many counter-clockwise turns did you need to make compared to "stock" to get to 3600W? I have done 1.5 and will do more.

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Current and voltage can be set, but you really have to know what you are doing. I wear high voltage gloves and use insulated tools to make adjustments.

Power = Current * Voltage. 15 amps out at 240V. BMS16C shows current and voltage (updates slowly, though), and I also use a Fluke 88V to measure voltage and AutoEnginuity to measure current at the HV ECU as a consistency checks.

It's not possible to say that you need a certain number of turns. You need to have the converter cover off and everything hooked up and running, so that you can adjust to the desired set points while the system is under load. Adjustments are not to be done without proper knowledge and equipment, this is why the procedure should only be undertaken by installers.

11. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you - yes, I was only after a ball-park number. I'm assuming that you tracked and recorded what you did. Was it 5 or 10?

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be very careful about adjusting this.

Each converter is a bit different and the pots may have variable number of "turns" available to them. Sometimes you simply will run out of available turns. It is set at a specific setting from the factory for a reason.

If anyone accidentally lets the magic smoke out of their system by messing around with it, I hope that they are honest enough to admit their error when they go to order a new part.

If someone toasts their Enginer system because they pushed things a little to far, that should really be their expense to replace and not Jack's. Hopefully people agree with this logic. Jack's been pretty lenient about replacing defective parts, and I hate to see this generous policy abused just to satisfy someones curiosity of how far they can push things.

Seriously. Be careful. If you go to far, you'll know it, but by then it may be too late. And for goodness sake, 'fess up if it was your doing that blew up your system or wore other components out prematurely.

13. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I completely agree with your sentiment and am always amazed at what others are willing to sacrifice for money or scramble their brain for - birthers come to mind. Jack has been very helpful, especially for how busy I am sure he is.

With what I know now, I'm currently viewing the Prius error code as a "good thing" and/or to the point I am satisfied with the AMP output and battery capacity balance. If 15 AMPs approaches that limit, then 3600W is darn close (=15*240=3600) and this should be well within a safety margin for a 5000W converter, even if that is the input power.