1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adventure to try and get Nav working on an Import

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by philipnewton1, May 28, 2007.

1. philipnewton1

philipnewton1 New Member

We own a Generation 3 (2004) Prius that has been imported from Japan (driven on road in Japan then imported into New Zealand).

The car has a Japanese based Toyota Navigation system installed in the car (DVD unit under the seat, controls on the steering wheel, etc).

Toyota has just released the 1st version of a Navigation DVD for New Zealand which will work on 2007 model year cars.

I have tried this DVD in our unit and it does not work (no surprise).

I’d like to know if anyone on the forum has any thoughts on if the following ‘might’ work:

Purchase a 2004 Nav unit through a salvage yard and plug it into our vehicle (I have verified that the electrical connection on the imported car are the same).

Burn a new DVD that contains the Navigation Application from the USA based DVD that will work in the USA 2004 player AND merge this with the data from the New Zealand DVD.

As a side note I have also swapped out the MFD that came with the car for one that came out a 2004 USA car (as all the words and buttons where in Kanji) - The new MFD works perfectly and interfaces with the Japanese Nav System.

Questions:

Should I just stop now…

Is the format of the DVD readable in a PC of some flavour?

Has the format of the data changed over the years?

Other thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

-Philip

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philipnewton1 @ May 28 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]451284[/snapback]</div>
    You could try to rip the map files from the 2007 disc and merge them with the software that's on a disc designed for a 2004/2005 prius.

You're not going to be able to take a US disc and 'add' new zealand. There won't be to switch to it since it won't be listed in the config file.

3. sterman42

sterman42 New Member

I need your help. Your circumstance may help me.

While trying to reset my Nav system I inadvertantly went to the wrong area of the world.

My Nav system now wants a differant DVD. I think it is looking for a Japan DVD. It will not let me go back or forward. Just keeps asking for this new DVD. If I could get a copy of your DVD from Japan I would be eternally greatful. I would also send you a copy of mine from NA.

Also if anyone else know hows to get the Nav system to reset and load the DVD that is in it, I would realy appreciate the help.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. 04blackprius

04blackprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nee Help Resetting Prius Nav System

I own an 04 Prius with Nav System (US Map). It had been working fine until one weekend I left the door not completely closed. The interior lights drained my battery. I had to have a jump to start the car again. That seemed easy. The Nav System looked ok at first. It showed where I was but then when I tried to enter an address (city specifically), the auto-complete feature started listing the cities in the east coast after few characters entered, I live in the west coast BTW. This stopped me from entering the local cities since a lot of the characters already got greyed out.

I was thinking going into the override menu to reset it (the menu that allows me to enable entering an address while vehical is in motion, I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about). That was a bad idea!! I went in and selected the option to reload the map. That didn't seem to solve my problem, so I tried the next option, which is loading another region's map, it then prompted me "Please insert the correct disc" on the first line and another line in Japanese (I assume the mean the same thing). Since then, I haven't been able to see anthing but this screen. It's expecting me to insert a Japan region disc or something before I can get the menu back. I tried unplugged the battery for a week while on vacation. This didn't do anything either. I'm now stucked with this screen. Please help. Thanks...

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Nee Help Resetting Prius Nav System

You are not the first one with this issue. You need to disconnect the internal back up memory battery inside the DVD unit. I don't have the time to perform a search right now. I think that the solution and the instructions for a fix were first posted by htmlspinnr.