1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice 2012 Prius 5 or 2013 Prius C 3

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by AzraelA, Apr 25, 2014.

1. AzraelA

AzraelA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I wasn't really sure where to put this.

TL;DR - I have a choice of two cars both for $22k, 2012 Prius 5 (w/ 35k Mi.) or a new 2013 Prius c 3.

So here is my dilemma, I really want to get in to a Prius. I have approval from my bank for the money already. I've ran the numbers and I know what I can afford.

So the dealership has two options for the same price:

2012 Prius 5 - All the bells and whistles. - 35k miles
    or
    2013 Prius c 3 - Brand New

I like the 5 because as a computer geek it has all the fancy toys, like nav and stuff. I also like the 5 because it feels like your sitting in a space ship with the huge center console. On the other hand though this one is used and is about to go past its 36k mi warranty. So thats a bummer.

I like the Prius c 3 because it's new, and it supposedly gets better MPG if you baby it. It's small and the cabin feels a bit more plastic like. I can dig the shift on the floor but it makes it feel like a glorified Toyota Yaris. The big selling point is it's new so I get all the warranties to myself.

So what I really need to know is should I follow my gut and go for the 5 and hope that the person before me took care of it, or buy my first new car? Thoughts and opinions would be awesome.

2. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2011 G3 Prius 2 and a 2013 Prius C2, both purchased new. I prefer to use the G3 for highway driving and the C for local driving and commuting. So you might consider which type of driving you do the most and whether you need the increased interior room of the G3. Prior to buying the Prius C last year, I had been shopping for a used 2009 G2 Prius. I saw a nice one for sale at $12k with 80k miles. But the G2 had 4 fewer years of remaining HV battery warranty and 80k more miles than a new Prius C2 for about $20k. So I decided to buy the new car despite the cost differential. For the same money, I have always preferred to buy a more modest new car than a more capable older one. In your case, you will get to put those first 35k miles on a brand new Prius C2 with it's full battery and general warranties. The real question is whether you will be satisfied with the smaller Prius C which, in my opinion, handles better and is more fun to drive than the G3, but does not accelerate as well. I think you should also ask yourself whether you really need the "fancy toys, like nav and stuff." If you are willing to step down to a G3 Prius 2, you could probably get a later model with fewer miles for the same $22k. That's what I would do. I think both cars are great, but I enjoy driving the Prius C more than the G3.

Tyler Payton likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    both good cars, biggest difference is size. i'd make the choice based on the interior comfort and roominess of each.

4. AzraelA

AzraelA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the feedback from AEROENGR and my personal love of hatchbacks (2000 Geo Metro, 2008 Chevy Aveo5), I decided to keep the pattern going and picked up a cherry red 2013 c 3. First day put 300 miles on it driving to see the folks. While the highway MPG is better than the Aveo5 (43 vs 27) I'm hoping the highway MPG will get closer to EPA in time. Thank you both for your insight on this matter.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My C3 has NAV. It's pretty basic but it works.
    And you don't really have to "baby" the C to get good mileage.

If you don't need the extra space for passengers or cargo AND you don't do a lot of long distance Interstate driving, I think the C would be a better choice.

6. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tyler - Enjoy the new car. I expect that you will at least match the EPA mileage over the life of the car. My Prius C now has 4563 miles and the actual fuel mileage is 54.7 MPG - about 50/50 highway/suburban driving and much of it during the very cold past Winter. I often make a trip of about 35 miles on the Merritt Parkway and get about 55 MPG at up to 55 MPH.