1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice...oil plug and jumper cables...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Jan 8, 2014.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just did my 5,000 mile service (rotate tires and change oil).

I bought a magnetic oil plug off of Amazon.

LINK

However, when I went to install it, a key thing stuck out at me. The OEM plug has its threads going all the way to the head of the bolt. This one had a gap between the threads and the head although there was a washer referred to as a Dowty oil seal.

Otherwise, it matched the OEM specs. I didn't feel right about it, so I decided NOT to install it and reused the OEM bolt and gasket (they did fine). Since I have to do another oil change at 10,000, it's no big deal. I can still return it to Amazon, but did I make the right call? I know I saw a magnetic oil plug at the local auto parts store in the size I needed. So, buying from Amazon wasn't my only option after all. For me, the aftermarket bolt would have needed the "seal" more to ensure the gap in the threading didn't breach the thickness of the oil pan. Why they didn't run the threading all the way to the head, I don't know.

Also, for a set of jumper cables...what's inexpensive but designed to be foolproof with the Prius?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose you'd have to try it to know. how far out does the original stick? are they the same length?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I custom made "steel" drain plugs with neodymium magnets with the standard M12x1.25 threads, copper gaskets, and 14mm hex flats.

I thing DadofHedgehog got one and is very happy with it.

It's nice to have a machine shop and the ability to make your own stuff.

The new youngsters always thing "factory made" is better. They don't understand OLD World and Old School custom made hand workmanship.

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Perhaps, but when in doubt....don't.

It's not a length issue. It was the gap between the threads and the head of the bolt. The washer serving as a way to ensure the bolt didn't go too deep. Seemed like a silly way to do things.

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two