1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After the first three days...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by c-man, Aug 27, 2016.

1. c-man

c-man ordered my c

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    We freakin' love this car!! :X3:

(someone suggested I start a new thread, I hope that's ok)

Averaging a hundred kms a day so far, as expected. 3.9L/100km is what the dash says. That's 60.3mpg (US gallon). Ours is a Canadian 'Base' model with the upgrade package, which our salesperson said is how most of them come in. Have to figure out which box to check on my profile. It was a demonstrator with 9k on it. The mileage number keeps improving as we drive. It now projects 970km for this tankful. If this keeps up it'll better than double the mileage we saw with our 2011 Kia Soul 2.0-liter. Amazing.

Highlights:
    - the car is very comfortable, and the back seat is amazing. I guess Toyota wanted to make sure taxi passengers would be happy(?). They will be.
    - the audio system is really good, even on the base model. Soundproofing must be a big part of the reason. Haven't tried CD or USB yet, but even the Bluetooth SQ is excellent, much better than I expected
    - the mileage is better than I was even expecting (though I'd seen the youtube 70mpg commute review)
    - the headlights are excellent
    - car drives very well, nothing funky or weird to get used to (for me), even being our first hybrid - and first CVT. It's smooth and handles fine. My wife commented that she's still adjusting to how to maintain a constant speed. Which isn't the hybrid goal, of course. So maybe we're still getting acclimated. :cool: (but catching on quickly)
    - overall quality seems to be right up there, as you'd expect from Toyota. There is a lot of hard plastic though. And the reverse beeping is annoying.

More later, nice to be able to participate here. :wave

edit to add: this is my 29th vehicle. (19 cars and 10 bikes)

#1 c-man, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    pakitt, pjm877, KrPtNk and 3 others like this.
  2. c-man

c-man ordered my c

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Just to clarify- 4 yrs ago when the c came out, I put a deposit on one..but changed my mind. Thus, my username and the status that I can't seem to get rid of. (as fyi, I bought a Cruze ECO 6-spd manual at the time, and averaged 6.4L/100km over 50k of mainly highway miles. Maybe it was 6.2, I can't say 100% for sure)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

Don't worry too much about the "model" since Canada only has base, Touring and Technology. The "upgrade package" and "advanced package" will obviously fall under "Package" but it's not displaying under the username in the forum (e.g. mine is a 2010 w/ Technology Package so I don't have anything listed since mine is a package and not a model).

Anyway, that mileage is fantastic! Keep it up! We're a bit worse at 4.3L/100km but hills and short trips are what keeps us from keeping a tank average lower than that.

The Base/ Upgrade Package is sold across Canada while the Touring and Technology models are only sold in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver (but I think you can have a dealer bring one in if you're outside those areas). The Upgrade Package is only $590 more but includes the all important heated seats and TSS-P, a bargain IMO.

Unfortunately, the car that most Canadians will see (the base model) will have hard plastics and a smaller screen. The Touring and Technology models will come with soft-touch upper door trim and a larger 7" screen.

You can have the dealer adjust the reverse beep from "continuous beep" to "single beep" at your personalization service (6 months/8,000km). Take a look at the manual to see what other things you would like customized at the dealer (this personalization service is done complimentary once. Depending on your relationship with the dealer, they can technically charge you for labour if you request anything afterwards).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great write up! congrats and all the best.(y)

5. c-man

c-man ordered my c

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Thanks. Funny, the dealer never mentioned the 8k personalization. Maybe because we got the car with close to 9k on it.

4 days, around 400kms now, 3.8l avg. Overall the car is seeing 3.6 at 9400km, so we might actually be dragging the nbr down. I didn't start using the Eco mode until yesterday...

Helped a friend move a bed too - mattress and box spring fit, the hatch wouldn't close but I was able to tie it down fine with hd bungees. Loving the Prius!

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh? Well the service interval is 6 months/8,000km like all Toyotas since 2000. However, the oil change is done every 12 months/16,000km. (new for 2016).

Maybe ask them about it? (i.e. can this apply on the first service you do?).

That is some really good numbers, right off the bat too.

7. c-man

c-man ordered my c

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I definitely will ask.

I guess this belongs in the mileage forum, but what the heck. I was playing around with EV mode tonight on the short trip to get my son back to his mom's. 75.8mpg! :)

20160828_225925_HDR~2.jpg

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Service interval on my old 2010 (and also my 2016) is 15000km or 12 months, whichever comes first. And climatic conditions here are quite harsh - high summer temperatures and a very dusty environment.

9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I need to post my fuel recordings - I did manage, with planets aligning to allow for super smooth traffic and me not rushing the least, 2.8L/100km // 84mpg on a 20km // 13 mi trip.

Tideland Prius and booke02 like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah Toyota Canada requires 6m/6,000km pre-2000 and after that, it's 6m/8,000km. Even though the Us went to 16,000km intervals, we stuck with 8,000km.

11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yesterday, planets aligned, a couple of traffic lights were green, and there you go:
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2,6L/100km // 90mpg...

This is my monthly consumption average record since I got the car end of June:
    IMG_0071.JPG
    It goes up from 4.1L/100km // 57mpg to 4.8L/100km // 49mpg because I had a lot of highway driving :) (at EU highway driving speeds --> 80mph or so... :) )

Tideland Prius and booke02 like this.