1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Remote Start w/OEM fob - Video inside.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Critic, May 2, 2013.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys,

I decided to install a remote starter on my 2011 as an academic exercise.

For this exercise, I only used a DB-ALL bypass module, but flashed it with a firmware that allows the DB-ALL module to act as a remote starter by itself. This way, I did not have to purchase a separate remote starter "brain," such as a Viper 4704. Although many eBay sellers will install the firmware for you before shipping the module, but I chose to purchase a xkloader 2 ($25) to install the firmware myself - as I wanted to configure the DB-ALL to keep the car running for up to 60 min (instead of the default 15).

Directed (DEI) recently introduced a T-Harness for many Toyota/Lexus equipped with push-to-start. The part # for my 2011 was TLTH2. For $30, this T-harness plugs into your OBD-II port and handles the connections for the 12v, ground, can-hi and can-low connections. As a result, this greatly simplifies the installation process and reduces the number of wires that need to be tapped into.

After the T-Harness is installed, there are only 5 wires left to hook-up: rx (violet, pin 4), tx (green, pin 16), parking lights (yellow, pin 30), push-to-start and EIPS to horn. (Note: the last two wires are not needed if you do not care for the pitstop feature, which does not work with the OEM remote anyway, so you actually only need to hook-up 3 wires.)

If you find that the OEM fob does not provide enough range, you can either purchase DEI's SmartStart module (allows you to start your car from your phone for $3-5/mo), or you can purchase a range extender kit which is supposed to offer up to a 1 mi range thru an aftermarket remote. I chose the latter, and ordered a Viper 9752VL kit for $165- which includes a chunky Viper 7752v remote, XK202 receiver, and a 6711T antenna. However, this is completely optional.

Overall, the installation is quite manageable for the moderately-skilled DIYer as long as you take several days to study the wiring diagrams and gain a basic understanding of how the systems work and interface. Soldering the 3 connections mentioned earlier is highly recommended, but I elected to use T-Taps (yes, shame on me) since I am not skilled in soldering. I feel a little bit better about using T-Taps for the three wires since they are not the power wires, but I plan to go back and solder them at some point.

Below is a video of the system in action. Feel free to ask any questions - I'll try to answer them the best that I can.

Video:

Links to the Xpresskit page with modules and installation guides (click on RSR install guide):
    XpressKit.com - Compatibility Search Results

Skip to 7:02 for an explanation of RSR (remote-start ready) and how the firmware loading process works:

Edit: see post #12 for where to mount the DB-ALL unit.

Attached Files:

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very nice (y)

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Awesome! I wonder if you could install the smart start yourself instead of needing a installer.

4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You definitely can. The modules are about $185 on provantage and there are guides online on how to activate the module without needing the assistance of an authorized dealer.

However, as you are probably already aware, there is no warranty on any of these products if you do your own installation.

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would someone need a remote starter on a Prius?

Mike ;)

ou812 likes this.
  6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cool dwn or warm up the inside

7. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A three wire hookup and $75 for a remote start? How did this thread get buried? Any help for locations of the three wires?

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The xpresskit guide in the original post will give you the location info. I need to go back and solder the connections so I can take some pictures in the near future.

iPhone ?

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the purpose of a remote start on a Prius? The car heats & cool instantly when you hit the ready button. Just wonderin ;)

Mike

10. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First of all, I owe you a huge, big debt for researching and posting this! If I could continually press "like" for a half an hour it wouldn't be enough.(y)
    Looks like 2010-13 are good as well as V (slightly different for V)
    Want to do the 3 simple start wire hook-up.

The DEI installation manual shows the parking lights tapping into 23 not 30?

[​IMG]

Latest install manual:

dball-tl2-rsr_en_ig_me20121226 remote.pdf

Attached Files:

mypriuscious likes this.
  11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It may deliver near-instant heat, but the cabin takes a while to warm up on a cold morning (if parked outside).

Priusguy78213 and WE0H like this.
  12. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the kind words. The schematic shown by DEI may not be applicable to every model that installation type 3 was intended to cover...hence the need to check additional wiring diagrams and test each wire. Both bulldog and Audiovox's diagrams call for the yellow wire at pin 30:

Bulldog Security Diagrams

Also, I should add that I found a better place to hide the bypass module. If you remove the black plastic panel that the TPMS reset switch is mounted, you will find a gap between the right-side of the white body-ecu and the dash frame (not sure of the correct term). There is just enough room in that spot to hide the bypass module and the XL202 units. I have not had success with double-sided tape (still experimenting with other options), but the space is tight enough that the unit and the wiring will stay secure in that location.

Gregg Symington likes this.
  13. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got better pictures here. In the second picture the thumbnails to the left show the plain box, but with colored female connections inside the DB_ALL. Looks the same basically:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need the db-all and the t-harness, unless you want to tap into a ton more wires than you have to.

http://bit.ly/18oPRTb

iPhone ?

FranklinS likes this.
  16. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is only one DB-ALL unit. You will need the xkloader2 to load the firmware - the unit does not come with firmware loaded. I have the xkloader2; if you want to mail the db-all to me I can load the firmware for you.

Some sellers will also load the firmware, but be sure to specify the settings you want. For instance, I set the maximum runtime for the remote start to 60 min (instead of default 15) and I also set it to do priority unlock.

iPhone ?

FranklinS likes this.
  17. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much for your offer! I think it may be easiest to have them program. I did notice one of the sellers requested to know if the original Smartkey or aftermarket remote was going to be used so I assume that is needed to be programmed in as well as Yr, make, model, and runtime?

What is the "priority unlock"?

I am just going to do the 3 wire install. I can see that I can quickly remove the OBD harness TLTH2/DB-ALL with quick connects when I bring my Prius in for warranty! Nothing to blatantly show for a Toyota tech to raise alarms.

18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    During the programming process, the software will ask you if you want to enable the RF output for a long-range remote kit, hence the question. You will need to have the seller configure the DB-ALL for a "RSR" setup, using the OEM remote (in your situation) and to increase the remote start run-time to 60 min. I think priority unlock is the term, but what it is - is to allow all the doors to be unlocked on the first click. It may/may not be relevant to you since you are only using the OEM remote.

Although you will use the T-Harness, you will still need to make the connections for the RX, TX and Parking Lights. You should add the hoodpin for safety reasons, but I did not. Push-to-start connection isn't relevant since you can't do pitstop mode with the OEM remote anyway. I never got the EIPS feature to work despite making the connection to the horn. So really, RX,TX and parking lights is all that you need in addition to the T-Harness.

FranklinS likes this.
  19. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to mention that I've been researching a remote starter install for my friend's 2012 Civic, and unanimously, the pros over on the12volt are overwhelmingly recommending the idatalink ads-al ca bypass modules over the DB-ALL modules for reliability reasons.

However, the DB-ALL's installation is significantly easier for this application since Directed makes a T-Harness available. I have had no problems with my DB-ALL to date, other than the EIPS not working (which is not a feature I wanted anyway).

This is idatalink's install guide should anyone be interested:

http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RS-TL2/COM-AL(RS)-TL2-EN_20130211.pdf

20. FranklinS

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two