1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aggressive All Season Tire for winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rockin Prius, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is interesting how most of the early Gen2 Prius cars don't have a problem, but some like mine were helpless running "all season" tires on snow/ice.

2. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be temperature thing... rubber gets hard when it gets cold and hard rubber makes for lousy traction. Lots of folks drive in lots of snow, and yet are in much warmer weather than Winterpeg gets. Winter tires don't get so hard.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That could explain a lot. At -40 an "all season" tire is worthless on ice, might as well put on racing slicks

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Nokian WRG2 are always a favorite. I'd like to see how the Michelin X-Ice Xi2. The X-Ice is also rated as LRR. Just be sure to order the Michelins when they have the $70 rebate in effect.

Oops, I just saw the "all season" description. In that case, the Primacy Alpine PA3 may be a good choice. Also LRR.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The exception is a true LRR tire that has a rubber compound incorporating Organo-Silicates. The Nokian WRg2 (and the earlier WRs) stay soft in cold weather.

JeffD

6. AKMARK

AKMARK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I am VERY happy with the performance and MPGs I am getting with the Nokian Entyres. The ride is significantly better and road noise also is a lot less. Now that they are broken in I took no hit in MPG which means I actually gained, as I went up one size. This winter will be the big test as Alaska winters throw everything at us, I have used studs in winter previously due to handling concerns with my wife driving it to school at night. Wet roads are no problem and no hydroplaning at normal highway speeds, even through the big puddles. I hope I can report the same good news this winter.

7. tonyrico

tonyrico New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems like the Nokian WRG2 might be the most recommended. My concerns are with the anti lock issues that are written about so I need a tire that just won't place me in that situation should I encounter snow(here in Michigan). I'm really leaning to the WRG2

It comes down to one question before I open my wallet. How are the wrg2's when it comes to MPG in spring/summer/non snow weather? I really don't want two sets of tires. One tire place told me I would take a significant hit in gas mileage.

Also, anyone have any feedback on the Bridgestone Ecopia422. They are relatively new so may not have a whole lot of winter/snow history. They are an all-season, but I hear ok things about them

thanks

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would chose the WRG2 over the Ecopia EP422 if you really need wet/snow traction. The 422 should be better for overall MPG but the WRG2 should be better for overall performance. I really wish TireRack sold the Nokians because we could compare tires a little better.

Here is a test with the EP422s. TireRack stated they would like to see better wet and dry traction with these tires.

Eco-Focused All-Season Tires: Do They Deliver on the Promise?

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    WRGII seems to give -better- mileage than the original tyres right from the start. Didn't have to wait for "breakin" to see that. Got them on in September, replacing the WRs Pearl got four years ago. I was worried they wouldn't be as good in deeper snow as they don't have as aggressive tread. Kal Tire were great re the treadwear warranty (the WRs wore out early). New ones cost the same as the WRs four years ago after the "adjustment".
    My report - so far they are quieter and seem to have just as good traction in snow (there's that four letter word again ;) ). I -think- they are slightly better on ice but it's really too early to tell for sure. Only had a week of that so far. Snowing nicely today again, so I'll be getting more experience with them.
    They are legal where "snow tyres" are required (they have the snowflake symbol on the sidewall).

10. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am incredibly impressed with the Hankook H727 in winter (and summer). They have turned the Pri into an incredible snow car. The traction control hardly ever engages any more and I haven't noticed a drop in mpg from the Integrities.

My parents also put H727's on their nearly-identical 2007. They use it as their X-country skiing car. I went with them last year and could not believe we were climbing mountain roads in drifted snow and hardly having any trouble. They carry cable chains with them but they haven't needed to use them yet. Their 4runner stays in the garage now.

The year-round performance is also very nice with the Hankooks. They're incredibly quiet, grippy, and seem to wear like iron. I haven't noticed any drawbacks to the 195 section width.

11. gak27

gak27 Prius, Take Two

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My first set of replacement tires were WRG2s -- I didn't notice an appreciable hit in mileage at all with them. I drive 70/30 highway/city. I will echo the sentiment that they did wear out somewhat early (just replaced, approx. 42K, and they were quite worn) but served well for two winters here in NE Ohio.

Would have had no problem w/ putting them on again but got a great deal on TripleTreds (double rebate w/ Goodyear CC plus employee coupon discount) for both our Prius and Civic...

Hope this helps...