1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag light problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JoanneR, Oct 27, 2014.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A few weeks ago, a relative was riding in the front passenger seat and asked me why the light said "passenger airbag off." I had seen that on before and didn't think anything more about it as I rarely have a passenger. Called Toyota to log in the problem as I was traveling that week and thought I would be out of warranty before I could get it to the dealer. That particular light was on for some days afterwards and then I forgot about it. Tonight I noticed that "passenger airbag off" is not lit, but there is a light saying "airbag off." Is that my airbag?? Are there any lights that are supposed to be constantly on at all for the airbags if they are working? I turned the car on and sat in the passenger seat, and the light that came on for my aunt didn't come on. Just "airbag off."

I am taking it to the dealership on Wednesday for the recall on the software and the light issue. When I called Toyota, they told me that any repairs would be covered. Made sure I did that so that the dealership wouldn't try to get me to pay.

#1 JoanneR, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. Christian_cool

Christian_cool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That sounds like there is a malfunction in your Airbag system as i understand, it could be from Software to wiring issue or Airbag seat sensor in the passenger seat, thats hard to say..
    On my Prius the Yellow light (Always) stays on, even if i deactivate the airbag on the passenger site with the key or there is a (Child seat) it should stay on with Red "Airbag off" Illuminated.

hope they solve the problem at your dealer, best regards!

3. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for responding. Much appreciated.

When you say the yellow light always stays on, what does it say: Airbag on?

4. Christian_cool

Christian_cool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You welcome i am glad to hear.

Yes it says "airbag on" means that the airbag is activated / operates functionally until you deactivate it via your key, or you put a childs seat in front, then it switches to red light :)

5. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks again.

"Red "Airbag off" Illuminated." My "airbag off" light is yellow.

6. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got back from taking my car to the dealership (Autoway Toyota Pinellas Park, FL). From what they told me, the passenger airbag light is supposed to come on if there is something heavy in the seat. If it is something over 70lbs, the light will come on "airbag on" and stay on. If there is something in the seat that is lightweight, the light will say "airbag off." If there is nothing in the seat, the light will remain off.

They could not explain why my 140-pound aunt got the message "airbag off." They put the computer on the car and it didn't show anything wrong. They said the codes are only kept in the computer a short time and, unfortunately, this happened early in October. They can't find anything to fix.

So, I do not know whether the passenger air bag is working or not.

7. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed in other vehicles if passenger sits off to one side it affects the weight the sensor sees. Was she sitting in the middle of the seat?. Car on and ready what does it do if you sit there?

8. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    She was sitting central in the seat. I took her to the doctor's and the light "passenger airbag off" was lit up. Went in, came back out, and the trip home was the same "passenger airbag off."

I just went out, turned the car on, put the brake on, got in the passenger seat and "airbag on" came on. So working at the moment.

Still bothers me about my aunt. I didn't notice the light message; she was the one who pointed it out.

9. RrcRamirez

RrcRamirez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Air bag Light says off even when I have someone sitting in the passenger seat :(. Just bought my prius 2 yesterday I hope is nothing serious

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "Occupant Classification System" is what they call the group of strain gauges in the seat mounts that the computer uses to decide who or what (and if who, what size and age) is in the passenger seat, to enable/disable the passenger airbag and set its deployment force appropriately.

There's a calibration procedure for the OCS in the repair manual. It can need to be redone if the seat has been taken out and replaced, or in certain other circumstances.

If the car is new and the calibration is off, they should certainly take care of that for you.

You can also find a section in the owner's manual where it describes the system in lay terms and warns against doing certain things that can fool it (like back seat cargo leaning against the seat back, a back seat passenger's feet on it, etc.).

-Chap