1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag Warning Light Code B1826

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JonF., Oct 23, 2012.

1. JonF.

JonF. JonF.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Several weeks ago my 2010 Prius (actually bough 8/09) started displaying an intermittent airbag warning light. This is the red one on the right side of the display. Brought it in to the dealer, as the warranty on the SRS system is 5 years. They charged me a diagnostic charge of $96.00 because they claimed that although the SRS is covered under warranty, the diagnostic system was not. They did the work, and should get paid, but I am still after Toyota to pay them, and refund me. In any case the diagnosed code was B1826, which is an open in the side squib left hand circuit. In other words, a poor connection, or one with more resistance than the computer expects to see. They recalibrated the system and claimed it was fixed. However, two weeks later, it's back again.

There was a TSB for 2004-2009 PriusII with precisely this problem. The fix calls for replacing an entire wiring harness, and it's a major job. My car is a very early Prius III purchased in August of 2009.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yours is the first I have heard of this particular problem. I am like you and would have a hard time agreeing to pay a Toyota dealer for diagnostic troubleshooting of a system covered under warranty.

I can see them notifying you of the diagnostic charge in the case that they identify something not covered by warranty. Then after determining that the issue was covered under warranty the diagnostic charge should be covered by Toyota warranty.

Let us know if Toyota makes good on this diagnostic charge.

3. JonF.

JonF. JonF.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

sinan likes this.
  4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I vacumed under my drivers seat. This must have bumped one of the conectors and gave me a warning light. I tried pushing the clips together/checked the conections. The light went off.

sinan likes this.
  5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is good information for me. If I pull my dash out (again) to solve some rattles I've had, I can drive around without the connector on for the airbag on knowing that when I reconnect it after some test drives, the system will automatically reset the error message.

6. sinan

sinan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you very much for your solution i face same problem in my car also after i search in google and finally your solution was done......thank you...

7. edz

edz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    JonF and all, Thanks for this thread and info. I have an early-Gen3 2010 Prius, purchased Jun'09, now 57K-mi..

Airbag light (SRS light) went on for the 1st time , just 2 weeks ago.
    Took it to local Toy. dealer; Diagnostic work= $99. Out of warranty. Diagnostic result = DTC B1826 "open in squib circuit". Recommend replace "Airbag Sensor ECU"; Cost $699. I declined the work.

So, I found info here on "jiggling yellow wires under both front seats". I did that in my car, and the SRS light is now OFF !!

So far, so good. Thanks again for this forum.

AzusaPrius, Dino33ca and bisco like this.
  8. PriusOilBurnerOwner

PriusOilBurnerOwner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Today I found my wife’s prius had the airbag light on all the time. Pulled the code as B1826. First pulled out passenger front seat (4 bolts, 3connectors). Then, for each under- seat connector I disconnected, sprayed in contact cleaner, and reconnected. Reassembled and light was still on.
    Did same thing on driver seat. Light went out.

All is good now. Vehicle is at 147 k miles, July 2020.

ydpplqbd and AzusaPrius like this.