1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ALL BlueTooth Cell phones that work in the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by m6scott, Oct 8, 2005.

1. oban

oban New Member

Siemens SX66 works nicely but I have NOT been successful in transferring the phone book (moves only the first 8-9 chars which is usually part of the name). I'd love to find out out to correct that or directly enter numbers in the phone book.. seems like I'm missing something!!

2. tag

tag Senior Member

You're not missing anything, sorry to say. The first 9 characters is all you get with the Denso system and there's really no way to enter numbers directly into the Prius phonebook.

3. dsuprina

dsuprina New Member

While I have not been able to send my entire phonebook from my Verizon Treo 650 to the Prius, sending single entries DOES work. So, for the half-dozen or so numbers I wanted to show up as speed-dials on the nav console, I created entries on my phone and sent them over one by one, and assigned them to speed-dial slots. BTW, the phone numbers must be digits only, no dashes or parens. They just show up as vertical bars and won't work.

-Darren-

4. dsuprina

dsuprina New Member

Just a few steps should enable service between your Treo 650 and the Prius.

1) Update the firmware of the phone. Palm's instructions mandate that the battery of the phone be fully charged before starting. This is because the process can not be interrupted once started or the phone's firmware will be scrambled and have to be factory re-flashed. But they forgot to mention that the phone and the system updating it must BOTH be protected from power failure. So when flash updating the phone, use a laptop with a full battery or a desktop with 30 minutes of UPS behind it.

2) Attempt to sync the phone to the car. After entering the Bluetooth passcode for the Prius (the default value is 1212), the Treo will report completion, but the nav console will still indicate that the Prius Bluetooth system is waiting to complete. This is OK. Just keep reading...

3) Make a call from the phone. It doesn't matter to whom. Sometime after the call is established (after 10 to 15 seconds) the Prius will recognize the phone and announce that it has completed its Bluetooth synchronization with the car.

4) Accept a call inbound to the cell phone. This will trigger the Prius' Bluetooth system to work.

From that point on, the Verizon Treo 650 will work as expected, with the following caviets:

a) Antenna strength will not show up on the integrated display.

B) Sending entire phone books from the phone to the car will not work. Send individual contacts one at a time instead.

c) The car's Bluetooth system will not chime in any way to alert you to an inbound call, but the audio entertainment system will go silent and, if switched on, the Treo will ring.

So, 90% of it works as expected.

The only real pain is that there appears to be no way to edit the text associated with a phone number once registered as a speed-dial number. The solution is to create a dummy entry on your phone, transfer that single entry to the car, and then set that number/text as the desired speed-dial. Such a simple thing to get wrong...

hope this helps -

-Darren-

5. superprius

superprius Junior Member

6. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

Well I got the Samsung a920 and I am able to recv and make calls but only by dialing it thru cell ph ,I mean I would get # hit talk on cell then hit call button on wheel of Prius then it will work. I dont see any method from cell to send the address book to Prius? I do see the transfer button on prius but it just looks like its recving but I dont see how I can send it from the cell phone? Hope this made sense? Any Ideas anyone? I know this phone is new and not even the sales people know much about this phone yet. Wouldnt be great if it just worked?

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I have a Verizon Treo 650, and it works rather well in my Prius. After pairing it the first time (which was easy), it pairs automatically every time I get in. It surprised me the first time it happend, as I thought I had to pair it each time I wanted to use it. But suddenly the car rang, and I pushed the steering wheel button to answer it.

No phone book though, but my laptop has BT built in, so I'll do it that way.

8. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Sprint PCS Samsung MM-A940 works and allows you to push your contacts one at a time.

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Since I couldn't send my contacts using BT, I just entered them all amnually on my 2006. Nice new feature. Now ALL my contacts are there. Tedious but simple.

10. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

OK found out how to get the addresses from my 920 samsung cell phone . When you go to the contact and open it in the cell on bottom right it will say send. I can only do one at a time but if I try to do more at once I loose BT connection and have to reboot (restart) the Prius. Very annoying. I dont know for anyone esle but for me to make a call using BT I have to hit the call button on steering wheel first then hit talk on the 920 ,or is it the other way around? Am I doing something wrong?

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Verizon Treo 650.

Good news. I was on my way to the Bucs game yesterday (which they won!) and I was on the phone. A second call came in, and I was able to answer the call waiting, and afterwards, switch back to the first one without loosing either. I did use the phone screen to answer the call waiting and aswitch back to the first call. I don't know if this made the difference, but I keep the phone in the cupholder so it's easily accessible. I don't think the MFD offered a button to switch calls.

Anyway, the important thing is that I was able to answer call waiting and not loose either call.

12. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

Ok so far trying to get addresses from my samsung 920 cell phone is time consuming and annoying. It will only let me transfer one or 2 before I need to turn off my car (the Prius). If I have multiable numbers for one contact it will pick one number and will not let me choose the other numbers ,very weird how it picks the number it does not follow a pattern. So If you want a name with the numbers well you are SOL, if it has more than one number. I did manage to get my important numbers in the "1 touch dial". So my advice is not to get to carried away with fulling your address book in the Prius its not worth it. Anyone else have any pointers?

13. Buuhwheat@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

I own a Nokia 9500 communicator and it works great with the Prius with the exception of the Phone book transfer. I can only transfer one contact at a time and only the name transfers. The phone number gets corrupted, thus making the transfer function useless. I have searched for a solution but no luck. Someone in one of the other posts mentioned that the transfer can be done by PC bluetooth connection. Do you know anything about that procedure?

14. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Sprint ppc 6700, aka Verizon xv6700, aka Audiovox pp6700 aka HTC Apache. The phone works great with the Prius, including the single number transfers. I wish Toyota would just enable bulk address book transfers.

Dave

15. Vegas Prius!

Vegas Prius! New Member

I have same Treo 650/SPrint... I could not get the phone book to upload- how do I send from the phone (I got the car to "receive", but couln;t get thephone to send)
    What step am I missing?
    Otherwise works perfectly...
    Help? :blink:
    (If easier, you can email to me)

16. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My Sony Ericsson S710a bluetooth works great and transfered all the phone data to my 06 easily.

18. habel

habel New Member

19. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I have the opposite result. I cannot get my Verizon Treo 650 to keep the connection. It reliably disconnects after about 30 seconds unless I'm on a call....then it will just disconnect when I hang up. Frustrating....BUT I have successfully uploaded my whole phonebook from the Treo 650 to my 2006 Prius. The tricky part was having the phone stay connected...but when I moved fast enough...and was able to select Transfer Phonebook before the bluetooth connection was gone...it worked! I use TealPhone for my contacts but this procedure works for either. I have some folks in my Contacts who don't have phone numbers or I don't need their number while in my car. I created a category in my contacts called CAR and put all the people I want access to in my car in that category. I needed to take out all punctuation and spaces from the phone numbers. What's nice is through the edit screen there are no space...but when I'm viewing the contacts in regular screen the number is displayed with the dashes! Anyway, go to your Car category or choose ALL if you want them all...hit the preferences button and in the Record drop down menu choose Send Category. When you select this you will be asked how (bluetooth or MMS is my choices) and you select bluetooth but right before you select this get to the Transfer phonebook screen in your Prius and chose it....then select to send with your Treo and bingo....it is sent. Have you all tried this and still didn't get it to work? Sorry if it's detailing info you know but I did this once and my phone book is in!

20. joelparks

joelparks New Member

said it before in a different thread, but Nokia 6280 works fine and also Nokia 6230i worked fine. Connects reliably (unless I left the phone inside on the charger, then it's nice enough to beep before I get too far away).

Phone number transfer is not so nice- there is no option on either phone to send the entire phone book by BT, so it has to be done one-by-one, and for each one the connection has to be dropped and re-established, and it is a pain. I now have 5 numbers in the Prius phone book and that's enough.

Actually I don't want all 423 contacts in my phone to show up in the Prius phone book, and since the PIM in the phone is _still_ not as organized as what was available in my humble PalmPilot 8 years ago, I don't seem to have the option to send just a "CAR" subset as Drips points out...