1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

all season tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pete bogumill, Oct 23, 2006.

1. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

prius chaters. this is not a new questoin by any means! but what tires would be the best possible all season tire you could put on the prius if you had to run them all year round in snow in ice in summer and would not hurt your rolling resistance as far as mileage goes? you here a lot about michelon's etc. has anyone got personal mileage to back anything up ? and i dont mean getting different rims etc. just using stock rims that come with the car. thanks folks! ;) pete

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus XSE.

Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. Had them on the Camry. They're quiet, fairly LRR, good dry and wet traction, adequate snow traction.

4. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Consumer Reports 11/05 issue rated Michelin X-Radials second only to Goodyear TripleTreds, and CR says they have excellent rolling resistance (and an 80,000-mile warranty). The Xs are available only at club stores, and Costco runs a $60 coupon every now and then (there's one currently that goes until November 2nd). I just put them on my car and took a 4,500-mile road trip, and I thought they were very good. I'll have to run them around town for a couple of tanks to see if I notice a difference in mileage from my Integritys.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pete bogumill @ Oct 23 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]337112[/snapback]</div>
    Pete,

I have 25,000 miles on my MVX4+ tires (185/65R15) and they have actually improved my MPG slightly (especially in cold weather) and this is not taking into account the change in revs/mile which understates the MPG in the new tires (about 0.7% for the different circumference and about 2% for no tread wear - now about 1/3 worn). See the attached file for details. Another good choice that's worth considering is the Norian WR (if you can find them).

JeffD[attachmentid=5459]

Attached Files:

6. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

:rolleyes: just want to say once again to the prius folks thank you to all! when some one has a question what ever it may be in cluding myself you guys always come through with help on things and that is what makes our group of prius owners so neat. see what that car does to us? if every one had a prius the whole world would be better for it! just thanks thats all.. ;) pete

7. theorist

theorist Member

I'm extremely happy with our ContiProContact tires.

Continental's ContiProContact is very similar to Michelin's Energy MXV4 Plus except ...
    • The TireRack tested the tires back to back and found that the ContiProContact was superior to the Michelin MXV4+. Here's the summary of the test. Here's the result charts.
    • Consumer Reports (11/06) tested these against each other and others and found the ContiProContact superior overall.
    • TireRack user surveys were more positive for the ContiProContact than the MXV4+.
    • The ContiProContact has a higher maximum inflation pressure (51 psi vs 44 psi) and a smoother ride, allowing Prius owners to run higher tire pressures more safely with less of a ride penalty.
    • The ContiProContact may have a shorter tread life according to Consumer Reports. (They have the same 400 UTQG treadlife rating. The ContiProContact offers a 50,000 treadlife warranty wile the MXV4+ offers no treadlife warranty.)
    • Rolling resistance is probably comparable. Data from EOS Consulting, done for Green Seal and reaffirmed by the Transportation Research Board study, found the Continental CH95 had lower rolling resistance than the MXV4+. Continental says the ContiProContact (which replaces the CH95) has even lower rolling resistance. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, says the MXV4+ has lower rolling resistance. Both studies agree that both tires offer low rolling resistance.
    • The MXV4$ may offer better winter traction. (Consumer Reports' test indicates the MXV4+ does better in winter conditions. TireRack user surveys says the ContiProContact does better on light snow, deep snow, and ice. I trust a test over user surveys.)
    • Michelin spends much more on advertising and has more brand recognition in the US.
    • The ContiProContact is priced much more competitively than the MXV4+. ($64 for the ContiProContact vs. $106 for the MXV4$ at tirerack.com. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...mp;x=66&y=9)
    Both these tires are marketed as grand touring tires.

Regarding general passenger all-season tires, Consumer Reports found that the TripleTred was better than all the others (including the HydroEdge, ComforTred, and X-Radial) in their November 2005 test. Then in their November 2006 test, they found that the TripleTred was mediocre compared to H-rated perfomance all-season tires. They scored the ContiProContact much higher than the TripleTred.

8. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i've got the goodyear comfortred's. I like'em cause they've very quiet and all-season. they also smooth out road vibration which i like.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Oct 24 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]337746[/snapback]</div>
    The TripleTred is really out of its league being compared to performance all-season tires. A more appropriate Goodyear tire to compare would have been the Goodyear RS-A. You can see by the significantly worse dry braking and handling rating why the TripleTred simply couldn't match up against higher performance tires. It's almost universal that the tradeoff for increased treadlife is reduced dry grip.

10. harper42

harper42 Member

Our Toyota dealer recently hosted at dinner for all new Toyota owners. When he asked for questions, I asked about snow tires (We have our share of decent snows, here in Indiana). He replied that the tires that come on the car are All Season tires, and they should do just fine during the winter. What do you think about that????

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :lol: I'm lookin' forward to my 'on the way' 2007 Touring Prius and about the tires: Bridgestone P195/55R16 86V Turanza - LRR - 149 MPH (Like, how could you get a Prius to 149 MPH?) - 70,000 mile treadwear warranty - 3 year Platinum warranty. Sounds substantially better than the Integritys on my 2004. Being wider, these tires also provide a larger 'footprint.' Drove a Touring Prius couple of days ago and I can note a difference in the suspension and handling characteristics - for the better. For the 'Touring' upcharge I believe the better tires and 16" wheels are alone worth the difference. Toyota shifted the packages a bit, but after adding all the Package and Option changes, the difference boils down to a mere $270.

**HURRY** - can't wait. B)

12. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 25 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]338034[/snapback]</div>
    If dealers were bombarded by consumers questioning the use of the Integrity tires on an otherwise outstanding automobile how do you think they would respond? I have had issues with the Integrity's response in heavy rain, do you think I should trust that tire in the winter?

Perhaps the Integrity does "just fine" in the winter in Florida or California, but I'm switching before winter in Kansas.

13. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 25 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]338061[/snapback]</div>
    I wish I lived where you do. Here the MSRP for the Touring edition is $895 more, otherwise equally equipped.

oops -- that's comparing a touring edition with HID headlights with a non-touring without. I now see how a Touring is only $270 more than a non-touring with HID. Now if I could just get the tuned suspension, 16" wheels, and decent tires for $270 without spending $625 on HID headlights.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 25 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]338034[/snapback]</div>
    I think:
    1. He is toeing the company line - don't dump on any part of the package
    and/or
    2. He has never driven a Prius (or probably any other car) fitted with Integrity tires in any sort of snow.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Oct 25 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]338133[/snapback]</div>
    ditto.

I was ok when the Integrity was new and we had a rare dump of snow but 2 years later and 36,000kms. I'm beginning to worry about this winter.

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi theorist

In trading my 2004 up to the 2007, I'm buying the Package #6, Options A0 and P4. While the 'base price' for the Touring Prius *IS* $895 more than the regular base price, due to the packages configuration differences the regular Prius with the same equipment is $30,604 and the Touring Prius is $30,874. That figures to be $270 more by my math. If you compare different "Packages and Options," the differences will vary quite a bit. One reason the base price is higher is that the HID headlights w/ fog lights are included in the Touring base price. I believe that available "Packages" are different for different U.S. regions.

You can experiment with the differences in all configurations by going to www.toyota.com and use the "Build your Toyota" function.

17. dsoohoo

dsoohoo Junior Member

Thanks for the recommendation. In fact, I am considering the ContiProContact Run Flats in 205/55-16 for my 2007 Touring which has OEM of 195/55-16. However, they weight 27 lbs. versus the 19 lbs for my OEM tire. What effect would the additional 8 lbs. have on my gas mileage? I really want runflats for the peace of mind and safety.

DKSH

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Oct 24 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]337746[/snapback]</div>

18. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. geminirat

geminirat Junior Member

Was quoted $298.00 to replace OEM Integrities with Continental ContiProContacts, 185/65R15 86H. Are you still "extremely happy" with yours theorist? Anyone else have experience with these tires/

20. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Oct 24 2006, 12:20 AM) [snapback]337189[/snapback]</div>

These were my final 2 choices but went with the Triple Treads based on their superior snow rating given on Tirerack.com. I'm happy with them but would have been happier with the deal and service from Costco opposed to Sears. There was a significant drop in mileage for a couple thousand miles. Hard to say how much of that was the tires and how much was the temp drop when I purchased them (last fall).