1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternatives to Dealer Maintenance in Orange County, California?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JOL, Aug 16, 2012.

1. JOL

JOL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all, I've got a 2010 Prius IV that just reached 30,000 miles. Thus, I no longer am on the complimentary service program and now have to pay for my own regular maintenance.

This past weekend, I brought my car into the local dealership (Power Toyota Irvine) for the 30,000 mile service and was charged a bit over $200 for that service. I am not familiar with what people have paid for the service, so I wanted to get people's input on whether this was excessive for this service (i.e., did I just get ripped off?). Also, I wanted to know if I can bring the car into an independent mechanic for regular service and still have the manufacturer's warranty (i.e., will the independent mechanic log the maintenance so that Toyota will honor the, I believe, 3-year manufacturer's warranty).

If I am better off bringing it to an independent mechanic, does anyone have any recommendations in Orange County? I live in the Irvine area, so it would be my preference to take it to a reputable mechanic close by. I know that someone has previously recommended Dr. Import in Fountain Valley, but I'd love to hear of any other recommendations.

Edit: I just spoke to the folks at Dr. Import, and I was quoted over $300 for the 30,000 mile service. Holy smokes!

2. mintymike

mintymike New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got 70k on my 2010 Prius III and I usually take mine to South Coast Auto Clinic by the airport. Very reasonable prices.

3. JOL

JOL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm an idiot. I don't know why I didn't think to call South Coast Auto Clinic first! I brought my old vehicle there based on Yelp reviews, but did not think of calling them for my Prius. I just spoke to one of the guys over there, and he thinks that the 30,000 service should only cost under $100. Dang it!

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is amazing that scumbag dealers do this to people all the time. $200 for this?
    [​IMG]
    Really the only key items are

- Replace the cabin filter $12 (Autozone will do it for free)
    - Oil change and oil filter $50 at Lube stop.
    - Rotate the tires a local tire place will do it for $19.95 to $29.95. Some have plans that will rotate your tires for the life of your tires for around $60.

5. JOL

JOL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately, it is people like me who allow dealerships to continue these types of practices! First of all, I forgot that I was no longer under the maintenance plan. Secondly, and most importantly, I failed to do my research prior to bringing my car in. Lesson learned.

6. pholife

pholife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dr. Import is rip. Never go there for anything. Idiot monkeys !

7. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Little late to the party, but in case anyone is still looking...I highly recommend this one-man shop that I used last year (suggest you call ahead to see how busy he is...since he appears to be a one person shop).
    Tanaka Auto - Irvine, CA | Yelp
    Mr Tanaka swapped out my Prius transAxial fluid change (a lot cheaper than everywhere else I called; especially the dealership).