1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sheba, May 21, 2015.

1. Sheba

Sheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased my 2011 prius II last Saturday night. (5 days). I realize I drive a lot. (100 miles a day most days). However, I just filled up with my third tank of gas. I'm seeing everyone on here mentioning close to 500 miles per fill up, but so far I'm only averaging about 250 miles per tank. Is there a secret??

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How low do you go before you fill up?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm....

If you are only averaging 250 miles per tank?
    Then I suspect something is wrong.

There is a long laundry list of things to check and be aware.
    Tire Pressure.
    Oil Level.

The two easiest and most direct.

That mileage is so bad, that I would unfortunately also suspect the answer is NOT that easy.
    Personally, if I had a Prius that was only averaging around 25 mpg (roughly) I might check these things, but I probably wouldn't pass go, and just take it in to a dealership for analysis.

That poor a gas mileage, isn't reflective of needing to simply learn a few "tricks" about hypermiling or Prius driving. That poor of a level of efficiency would be indicative of a problem with the machine.

The secret is, The Prius should automatically return better efficiency than that, even if it is being driven by somebody who has never seen an automobile before in their life.

Best of Luck.

(Yes, I was assuming when you say you're on your 3rd tank, that you are filling up somewhere near empty. and not filling up 1/2 or 3/4ths tanks). If you are filling up with 2 pips or 1 pip left and only getting that mileage? Something is wrong.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you driving until you are down to the last pip on the fuel gauge and only getting 250 miles?

Are you operating in PWR mode?

5. Sheba

Sheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually when I fill up there is only one or two bars left on the fuel gauge and I'm getting close to 9 gallons each fill up

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would check the following

1. 12v battery condition
    2. clean throttle body and MAF sensor
    3. check your air filter
    4. Make sure you tires are not under inflated.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My first thought went to the distance per day. 100 miles per day could be two commutes of 50 miles interstate, several small start-n-stop trips over the course of the day, etc.

What type of driving do you do on a regular basis? How do you use your car?
    It's nearly impossible to offer beneficial suggestions until we can get a feel for how the car is being used.

8. Sheba

Sheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's two 50 mile commutes, but it's about half and half interstate driving and in town driving.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If those numbers are accurate, I really suspect the problem isn't stemming from operator driving behavior. I'd be hard pressed to MAKE my Prius do that badly if for some reason I wanted to.

You can check all the things suggested, it's a good idea period.

Have you noticed anything else in regards to how your Prius is running or behaving?

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would keep an eye on the individual segments of the commutes via the consumption screen.
    When on the interstate, what is your average speed and what is the average MPG?
    When in town, how far can you go before the next stoplight or traffic back-up? What is the average MPG in town?

My opinion is that we can all offer a truck-load of ideas and suggestions but that would be as helpful as asking WebMD why your tummy hurts; somewhere between indigestion and cancer might be the right answer so should you take a Gas-X or Chemo?

So we should try to get a feel for what exactly is going on. As though we were riding along with you but since we can't you're our eyes.

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this.
    But that's also why I'm saying if those numbers are accurate? Maybe it might be best to skip the truck-loads of suggestions and just take it in for direct analysis.

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If they're getting 250 miles to a tank their car has SERIOUS issues or the OP drives crazier than me - and that's saying something.

Will the car still be in warranty as something isn't right with it. Assuming of course that the OP isn't mistaken?

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bwilson4web likes this.
  14. Sheba

Sheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's super helpful, thanks! I'll work on getting that filled out, but I did also contact my dealer to schedule a time to get it checked out.

15. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am curious, why the 12VDC battery?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the battery has a shorted cell, then the car is constantly charging the 12v, thinking it needs to be charged......using up energy.

17. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That makes sense. I would not have thought of that. Thank you.

:)

18. Sheba

Sheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you read This Thead Yet?
    Yes, I have now!! Thanks

What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)
    My trip monitor says that I'm averaging 45.1mpg for the last 119 miles (since I filled up this morning). Manually calculated I filled up with 8.8 gallons and only traveled 284 miles since my previous fill up, so 32mpg. On my first fill up, my manual calculation was 27mpg, so at least I seem to be getting better.

What fuel economy are you expecting and why?
    The dealer said 50mpg, so I was expecting at least 40.

What are the approximate outside air temps?
    90(F) in the afternoons, 60-70 during my morning commute some days

How long are your trips?
    About an hour commute back and forth to work. 30 minutes just to go to the store.

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)
    Just purchased the car so unsure on age of battery, will check when I get home.

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
    I have not, but tires are in good shape with no uneven wearing.

How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
    50 miles, 1 way. Approx half of that is rural city driving, 20-45mph with traffic lights. The other half is interstate, 75-80mph

What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)
    Flat. All of Florida is flat.

What are your tire pressures?
    Will check, unsure.

Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)
    No.

Make, model, year, engine and transmission of <u>previous</u> car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)
    '05 Pontiac Sunfire. 2.2L 4 cyl automatic. 19-21 mpg average

What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)
    Central Florida

How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?
    Now that I'm getting used to the vehicle, trying to stay within the “eco" line, and t trying to avoid hard braking.

What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco?
    I drove my first tank entirely on normal. The second and third I have been experimenting with eco mode to attempt to improve my gas mileage.

Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?
    Not really. A minute or two maybe.

Are you driving using D or B mode?
    D only

HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
    Auto mode, 75(F)

Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).
    Factory

If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?
    No drop, just purchased vehicle 5 days ago, already used three tanks of gas.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you continue to see 45 MPG on the display then I doubt anything is wrong except the arithmetic.

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    or there's a leak in the gas tank...............or the gas pump is cheating them