1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amateur (ham) radio in PIP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ronlprius2, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ronlprius2

ronlprius2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The PIP has a heck of a lot less storage space than my 2006 or 2010. In the 2006 the main electronics unit for my Yaesu 8800 is in the center storage bin, in the 2010 it's in the left storage bin. Has anyone figured out where to put a remotable amateur radio in the PIP yet?

Ron LaPedis - N6QGK

2. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wow didn't know Hams still existed.

- KC6GKB

3. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have my ICOM in the back left storage compartment in my 2011. Zero problems on 2M and 70cm. Why not put it under the seat if there is no room in the back?

N3ZY

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe if you looked in retirement homes.:D

Amateur radio still has a valuable role to play in disaster recovery, since it provides a communication mechanism that is not dependent on any infrastructure. With battery or generator power source, they are totally standalone. Amateur groups coordinate with public authorities to make their services available in disasters.

5. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Haven't been on the air in quite a while, but still have my license. And can still send and copy Morse Code, though not much call for it lately.

N6QH

6. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]

Red Cross Disaster Services Emergency Communication Response Vehicle. And pip

PM for info on ECRV and disaster recovery

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wnnhzo

7. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm a 99% CW op and would love to run some counties. The center console would sure make a great place to use a bug or paddle. I wonder if a PiP could handle a 100 watts of hf. And what kind of an antenna mounting would work?

Attached Files:

8. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm K6DEV, tech no-code license. I haven't been on the air in forever as well...

9. tangative

tangative New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    CQ CQ CQ de WA2I

Amateur radio: Gateway to electronics, for me.

Now: Arduino's are my thing...

10. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My Dad was a huge Ham back in the day and he got me into it back then (I'm 30 now). Was great for me when i was a Boy Scout and back in the Navy.

He used to do a lot of licencing here in Orange County. Him and Gordon West were really good friends growing up, he may have licenced some of you guys!

11. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it legal to tap morse code while driving, but not use your cell phone while driving?

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hams have been strapping "Bugs" to their legs for ages! I have a friend that can copy +30 WPM, he does a lot of CW contesting. He had a HF rig in his car for years. He made a small tablet with Velcro straps he would put around his right leg, and hammer away! A good CWer, does not have to take his eyes off the road, he hears letters and numbers instead of dashes and dots! Sending only requires slight jiggle of the wrist to tap out code. He does however drive with only one hand.
    The mounting of the keyer in the center console is a Gen III is a natural spot. the risk of being pulled over here in CA, or anywhere is pretty much --.. . .-. ---, or ----- ! :D

1 person likes this.
  13. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm glad you guys (and gals!) are still around. I was always interested but never pursued my license.

14. donny612

donny612 "Captain Jack Sparrow"

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, there are still hams about. I'm a Technician licensed ham, (about the last 3 years now) N4APX. Still trying to figure mounting and wire/coax routing solutions in my new Prius C2. Any ideas, pictures etc. would be appreciated. Planning to start this weekend. I do have the antennas mounted on the back hatch with Diamond mounts. (Thanks to another member's post) Couldn't bring myself to drill that 3/4" hole in the roof yet. :) Time for the wire hiding and radio, remote head, and speaker mounting.

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Luscious Garage just installed a ham radio into a Plug-in Prius. They have photos of the install on their Facebook page. Check it out.

16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I swear by all my Diamond equipment. If you are running a dual bander like a Yeasu FT-8800 you can place the remote head above the rear view mirror. There is a Blend mount that I used in my Gen II. I bet it will work on a "c"

[​IMG]

I stuffed the rest of the body in the rear pocket. In thinking about a c, that area seems to be missing, but there should be some space under something you can stuff the rig body. Of course, run both power leads directly to the +12 v battery. When your finished, please post a pic!

17. donny612

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

That is exactly how I mounted the control head for my ft-7800 in my last truck and how I intend to do it in the PC. Where did you run the wiring? Over the headliner and down the C pillar or down the A pillar and back to the rear via the floor? Any suggestions on mic location? Any issues with removing the pillars or the floor covers?
    Thanks!!

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Don, Yes I ran the wiring through the headliner, then back to the rear of the car. It ends in the driver side pocket in the rear on my Gen II. The mic I first put in the sun glasses holder above me, but it got in the way, and there is a nice hidden pull out drawer on the Gen II that the mic now resides in. The Diamond mount that has a PL-159 that a majority of the connector can be removed, making it easier to penetrate the Hatch. I followed the factory harness up into the headliner, and then down to the body of the rig! It is a simple run, it just requires you disassemble a portion of your car!
    Any further help or info I can offer, drop a line! :D

19. donny612

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks my friend,
    You've been most helpful! I needed some confirmation of what I had in mind to do. Always helps to follow where someone else has gone before...
    73's

1 person likes this.
  20. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, if you are into Arduino's, why not build your own EVSE, there is an "OpenEVSE" Arduino shield availble for $45 kit/$55 assembled:

open-evse - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

Ordering - open-evse - Information on Ordering OpenEVSE parts - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

Combine your hobbies :)