1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amateur Radio in 2013 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by axle2152, May 14, 2013.

1. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've just traded in my 09' Pontiac G3 for a 13' Prius C and I previously had a 2 meter mobile radio (Yeasu FT-2900D / 75 Watt). I read that the radio can apparently cause problems. The manual doesn't go into great detail as to why or how to go about putting a mobile radio in the car, they simply say it can affect the airbag systems, and all sorts of stuff (p.17). I know other ham radio guys have installed radios without any known problems, but I wanted to ask here and see if there are any potential problems doing so and whether or not doing so would have an effect on the car's warranty. Also any special considerations, preparations, I need to do for installing it. Thanks.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of what you are reading is Toyota Lawyer speak to cover their asses!
    I have had a Yaesu FT-8800 in my Gen II since I bought the car!
    NO PROBLEMS!!!

[​IMG]

3. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Very good to know. I assume to run the power cords to the battery, I do read that jumping the Prius requires connecting the jumper cable to the positive terminal on the post in the fuse box under the hood (I'm thinking that was done for convenience purposes).

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    only on the new 2013 Cs have the jumper terminal under the hood. but mine is a 2013 built in 1/13 and it does not have the jumper spot. so its only most recent builds of the C. but if you are running the radio in the car, then you can easily access the battery which is under the rear seats.

5. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I run a 50 watt 2 meter rig for aprs tracking in our C. Have not had an airbag blow yet.
    Good to have another radio operator here.
    Dan

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The 2012 still has the hot wire, so the only difference is the terminal connector.

7. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I went ahead and installed the radio; didn't do anything fancy and seems to operate fine with the car on. Just wished the yeasu had a detachable head unit lol.

8. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just curious, what do you guys mostly use those radios for?

9. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well depends on the operator, or ham, mostly. The neat thing about it is that you can talk (depending on many conditions) to people around the world. Some operators get involved in clubs and organizations such as ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) or MARS, others enjoy doing contests or just getting on the air to simply talk to other operators. The hobby is very versatile you can know just the basics and still do a lot, while many hams literally build their own radios, antennas, power supplies; I know several electrical engineers, even a couple that worked for NASA, Honeywell, etc. These radios, the one's referenced here, are 2 meter radios (2 meter being the length of the radio wave) which are a bit up from the "FM" broadcast band, 144-148 MHz, and under normal conditions is for local communications...although around the summer solstice it is common to get a sporadic e or atmospheric enhancement which can allow 2-way communication a very long distances (1000+ miles) for short periods of time (some can last for days in rare occasions). However, on lower bands, referred to HF, it is regular to talk to people in Europe or South America on a daily basis (at different times of the day). There's also other modes besides talking, you can do anything from CW (Morse code), facsimile (image, or SSTV), ATV (amateur radio television), and many digital modes, even connect to the internet over the air. Hope I didn't go too far lol

de KK4EKN

10. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    sounds like it would be perfect for end of the world type stuff. zombie apocalypse or something.

11. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been running 2M in my lift back for over a year now. No issues whatsoever. I have heard guys say the Prius generates a lot of noise at 40M, but I've never tried it.

12. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would not say that but it is perfect when the cell towers go down like in hurricane Katrina. Only communication in and out of New Orleans. All of the police radio equipment wasgone and they also used ham radio operators. Great hobby. I do way more listening than I do talking.
    Dan

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my case it's talking to friends, I can talk faster than I can type. It also is a wideband receiver, I have Burbank Airport within 10 miles of me, I can listen to air traffic, plus news helicopters!
    And other stuff! ;)

14. johnhlong

johnhlong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    OK, one more KW7A

Lets see if we can get a bit technical.
    Do we do that here or somewhere else?

I'll be moving my Yeasu FT-857d from my old car to the new 2013 Prius C2.
    Also a Little Tarhill II screwdriver antenna.
    And a dual band Comet VHF/UHF antenna.
    And to top that off a "Turbo tuner", "for one button push" automatic HF antenna tuning.

Now the basics.:
    Any thoughts on mounting the remote head and where to hide the radio body and turbo tuner?
    They used to be in the rear of my Saturn VUE down under with the spare tire,

DXCC / PriusC here we go.

John
    KW7A
    Central Utah, USA

15. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think KK6PD might be able to answer your questions. I run my hf gear in the motorhome. Only run an aprs tracking radio in the Prius. It is under pass seat.
    Dan

16. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I keep my Icom in the side compartment in the back and have the control head left of the steering wheel. I don't know how applicable that would be for you since I have a lift ack
    N3zy

17. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

John, Hi there! Yeah, I have plenty of thoughts on mobile radio installs!
    Measuring just 6.1” x 2” x 9.2” (155 x 52 x 233 mm), the FT-857 is the world’s smallest full-power HF/VHF/UHF multitmode transceiver!
    Good choice!
    However before you go through all the effort of the install, I would jury rig power from the 12 v battery to the 857, get the antenna on the car, without making any holes yet. Last step is turn on the ACC PWR and fire up the rig. Get an idea on your locations noise floor, find somebody weak, and then turn the car full on! What happens? Some reports state the nose floor will jump to S9 or more. That kind of renders the HF thing moot.
    On the other hand there have been several great write ups, one by a ham, who shielded the bejezus out of the car and had significant success on dropping the noise floor down to usable HF op levels! If you find after the test, you can live with what you hear, or you plan to shield the bejezus out of your car go for it! The display for the 857, due to its size 6.1" x 2" you could mound above or below your mirror like I did using a "Blend Mount" I run a FT-8700!
    [​IMG]

As for the rig body, hide it in the back of the car, I buried mine in the Gen II's left rear pocket in the back. Fits perfect. I actually ran my coax through the hatch's wiring channel, going through the water proof boot. I use a Diamond K-400 mount, what you have will work. The setup is neat!
    Good luck, let us know how you make out!

LnG likes this.
  18. johnhlong

johnhlong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I do have a cigarette lighter 12V plug for the radio. I also use the diamond mounts one for the HF screwdriver antenna and one for the VHF/UHF antenna.

4 setscrews and a plug into the cigarette lighter and I should be able to test it.
    No holes to drill.

Now I know what I can do with my spare time tomorrow (I'm retired so have time to burn).

Great suggestion!

John
    KW7A
    See my profile on www.QRZ.com

19. johnhlong

johnhlong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    OBTW:

Some of my DX work while mobile I've done from parking lots,
    I pull over, switch out my mobile whip on the Little Tarhell II screwdriver to my 9'6" telescoping whip. (A 30 second change over). I add another 18" extention and can then do 160M if I want to.
    Turn to car off and call CQ. I've managed to have QSO's with Bulgaria, Japan, South America, and K5B on three bands when they were on a DExposition, just to name a few. All from the Salt Lake City area.

All DX doesn't needs to be done while mobile. And I have logged some while mobile.

Of course there is the ISS to play with.
    Did you know you can do PSK31 using an Android app and the speakers from your car?

John
    KW7A

20. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another Ham here as well. No rig in the Prius though.

73 de VA3HST