1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Interesting Carfax

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by El Dobro, Mar 23, 2014.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in my '09 Jetta TDI w/DSG back in Sept. of 2011. When I found my registration for it, I had a friend run a Carfax to see what ever happened to it. What I found was very interesting.

The car had problems from day one. It was pretty much back to the dealer at least once a month for everything from the DSG banging away to the rearview mirror falling apart in my hands. There were airbag sensor problems, dead radio, etc. that would send it back to the dealer. Each time, an RO had been written.

I finally had a chance to sit down and read the Carfax. Ok, there's where I bought the car in Oct. of 2008 and next was when I brought the car back a couple of weeks later, because the trans was banging. The tech decided it needed another MU for the trans. The Carfax had that visit listed as vehicle serviced. Now next was, was, was, July of 2011?!?! What happened to 2009 and 2010 where all the other warranty returns happened? Where's the rest of 2008 and 2011? Where's the time a VW QTM took a drive with me? Where was the time a VW drivetrain engineer took a ride with me and kept the car for a day?

All the records of the problems with the car were not listed. Even when the records started again, with again another MU being installed almost two years later, it's listed as "computer reprogrammed". The records also show that from 10/22/2008 to 7/15/2011, I went 11,298 miles and from 7/15/2011 to 9/3/2011 when I traded the car in, I went 33,387 miles.

The moral of this story is, when you get a Carfax on a vehicle you're interested in, take it with a grain of salt. It's only as good as what a dealer tells them.

2. ou812

ou812 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, I bought used yaris for my kid. Carfax was clean and showed some maintenance and some warranty repairs at the dealer. I was a bit suspicious about the car and checked as much as I could during the sale. I even brought a magnet with me. I couldn't find anything. One week later, I got a coupon for free Autocheck. I ran it again. Damn, accident with frame damage? I look at the car again and sure enough the lower door and sill was repainted indeed.

Carfax sucks big time.