1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android Bluetooth Unstable Entune / Pandora Connection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BluetoothEdsel, Mar 13, 2014.

1. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got a 2014 Prius Three with Display Audio / Entune, and an HTC Sensation (Android 4.0.3). Had the car just about a month, and the Bluetooth has never been stable with Pandora. It usually connects with no problem, but very often I'll lose the connection within about 20 minutes on my drive to work. The display screen says something about the Internet connection being lost. But I doubt that's happening because in my old car I could run Pandora on the phone and stream over the aux jack throughout this same commute without a problem. What definitely is happening in the process is the Bluetooth on the phone gets foobared. When I get to work and end up several blocks from where the car is parked, the phone still shows a connected Bluetooth icon. Experience has by now told me I have to reboot the whole phone, as even non-Bluetooth functions will now get screwy on the phone, and just cycling Bluetooth won't fix it. So, somehow the phone BT and car BT (or Entune?) just aren't getting along.

Have others experienced similar? I'm suspecting the problem is on the phone's end - it's old, and its Bluetooth hasn't been the most reliable overall. (Though the phone and OS are on Entune's supported list.) But since I don't have another phone to test with, this is only a hunch. Not sure if I have to just live with it until I'm ready for a new phone, or is there anything I can do to either a) verify that the problems are with the phone, not the car, and b) get usable Pandora in the meantime?

2. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you using SW 3.2.0?

Below is URL to get SW
    Entune 3.1 Update Link *DIY No Dealer* | PriusChat

internet connection lost, maybe phone not getting data from network.
    when U go to BT setup page is internet connected? Is your Entune App on phone showing internet connected?

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had an HTC Sensation. I always had problems with Bluetooth with my phone and my 2010 JBL. I eventually got a Nexus and I've had no problems.

With the Sensation I had random disconnects and often the Bluetooth would freeze in the ON state if I tried to disable it and enable it. This was a problem with the phone itself and not the car.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been using a Samsung Galaxy 3 and 4 in my Prius for years, streaming Bluetooth for long durations without any trouble. It seems reasonable to blame the phone.

Try offline & direct content to confirm the problem. Just play songs already on your phone for the commute... no internet or Entune. If the it cuts out then, the Bluetooth would definitely be suspect.

5. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yep, this sounds very similar to my phone's behavior. Bluetooth likes to freeze one way or another, and it just seems to be getting the most frequent and hardest freezes from Entune. I'm going to give a shot at some basic phone maintenance - i.e. remove all unnecessary other bluetooth devices, remove battery to do cold restart, etc. But I have a feeling I may just be stuck till I replace the phone.

6. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

It's Entune 3.1. I didn't fid where the Entune App on the phone shows a connection, but normally everything starts out connected OK, and then it freezes. Will try to take a look after next freeze to see whether the car actually still thinks BT is connected. When it freezes, the phone itself shows BT is still connected even after the car is turned off. The phone must be restarted at that point to get things working again.

7. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Good point; I'll give it a try. I've never had it cut out so far when streaming music from the phone, but I don't normally do that for long stretches of time.

8. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've done all that. Even tried a few different ROMs. The problem still persisted. :( hope you have better luck than I.

BluetoothEdsel likes this.