1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying buzzing sound heard while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mediahound, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My '13 Prius Four has started to make a really annoying buzzing sound from the rear while driving. It can be heard inside the car but seems to be louder for passengers in the rear.

It's constant any time the car is moving. Could it be the rear emblem? I ask because I tried wiggling that from the outside while parked and it makes a loud buzzing/squeak noise when doing so.

I've also read that the rear hatch catch may need to be adjusted. How do I do this?

I've ruled out the rear license plate since I already put a rubber pad between it and the car.

Anyone have any tips on what I should try? This is driving me bonkers!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd suggest you make a list of all the things that seem to not be functioning properly and address them all at the dealer. Your car is under warranty and best to have them address it and fix the problem before your warranty runs out.

3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The dealer doesn't really help. I'd like to know what I can do myself to help solve this.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If your current dealer can't solve your issues, you would need to try another dealer. That is their job to fix problems you have with your car. If this car is out of warranty I would suggest you try and find a solution yourself, however your car is still under warranty and you should most definitely have them fix the issues. Talk to a service manager if you have to. They will 100% address your concerns if the car is under warranty. Isn't that the reason you have a warranty in the first place? So you don't have to fix the problems you encounter.

We can only speculate what your problems can be without proper diagnostics. Your dealer can do a complete diagnostic of the problems you are facing, with the car in their possession. I would suggest that's the route you take.

5. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm beginning to realize the Prius is quite finicky with regards to buzzes and rattles, there's a lot of plastic parts, especially in the back. Plus the hatchback itself could rattle or the tonneau cover etc. much more so than any other car I ever had.

I'm removing the tonneau cover for now to see if that will improve anything.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I often get an annoying buzzing noise in my car. Usually from the passenger seat and usually when the other half is sat in it :whistle:

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your other half is a bee? :D

SCH-I535

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I should have said it was more a drone than a buzz. But I switch off as soon as it starts :)

jdk2 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    best thing to do is have someone hang back there while you're driving and see if you can determine the cause. could be a number of things.