1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another anti-Prius 'study'

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hyo silver, Apr 24, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like said before, I contributed to the statistic last year of ... had a Prius, didn't buy another. But changed that to .. traded a brand new Accord Coupe, bought 3rd gen Prius.

Even thought the 2nd gen was a disaster, I would totally buy this 3rd gen over. I love it. Can't promise I'll still love it in 10 years, but it's looking awfully good so far.

3rd gen is such a nice car. Comfortable. I love the PWR MODE. Sometimes I just want more response and bam, it's there for me.

Not a car expert, but I did just come off a spankin' new accord Couple. I'll take this Prius over that coupe any day of any year.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well in the writer's defense this article is the first I've seen that actually quotes overall loyalty. It actually says that make loyalty is 49% and adds that it's make loyalty, not model loyalty, so the hybrid figure is actually pretty good. And if you look at Toyota hybrid owners the make loyalty is 61%. The only negative suggestion is that if there were a real 35% trend the future could be weaker.

As for the headline, I think that's somebody else's fault: as the writer says the 25% hybrid-to-hybrid loyalty is drivers who didn't get a Prius.

But, anyway, as previously noted by me and others, the study only covers trade-ins and the percentage given is for 2011 which had hybrid supply constraints in Q2 and Q3 and significantly lower "loyalty" in those quarter compared to a general trend of 39% to 40%.

3. theprius

theprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bet it had nothing to do with actually ditching the prius entirely. They probably asked everyone what other car they would buy if gas/money wasn't a factor. and guess what? I think about 75% of us have an imagination and would have answered with our dream machine. Whether it be a delorian, or in my case, a hybrid volvo or vee dubb

4. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are nicer looking/riding/handling hybrids coming out on the horizon that near the prius in fuel economy without as many compromises for the sake of efficiency. When the time comes to trade in my 2011 , I will examine what is on the market then. If I go with another prius cool, if not oh well.

SCH-I500 ? 2

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If someone has some extra Prii out there, I like them to
    know that the Washington DC Metro area used car market
    will gladly take them since there is a demand for more
    affordable used Prii here because of the high price of gasoline.
    Even with the less than optimal hilly terrain- the Prius
    still is the local reigning fuel efficiency king :D.. Here in DC,
    the Chevy Volts and Nissan Leafs still sitting in the
    dealer's parking lot. :(

6. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny how that works. I think the preference among Prii is a very individual thing.

I drive a 2nd gen, and bought it in 2009 in direct preference to the the 3 gen (first 2010s were coming out that summer). I didn't like the space in the 3 gen was distributed and also didn't like the "flying bridge". I have more fun in the 2 gen than I've ever had in a car. It is a different pleasure than the one I got from my parent's Corvette as a kid, but it is far more compulsive (i'm nearly at 60 MPG lifetime, with a requirement that I drive at the limit or above in commuting traffic).

I have since rented the 3 gen and was struck by how resistant it seemed to be to hypermiling at secondary road speeds. It did better on interstates, though.

I suspect that when I get another car, it will be some kind of Prius, but I have no idea which one it will be........

7. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    And in the writer's defence I would like to point out that they were able to deduce that percentages add up to 100, so getting the 75% when knowing 25% represent the opposite is actually quite good for a 3rd. grader.

That the 25% is what the average fell to without the Prius is calculating with averages, which is first something you learn in the higher grades, which is out of the scope for Yahoo news journalism.

So please, PC. Be nice.

8. 6lark5

6lark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Yahoo Autos and "fuzzy math" sponsored by Chevy Volt.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which car is that? And how small is it?

10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: