1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anticipated price for 2012 PHV prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Michaelvickdog123, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im extremely confident that the PHEV prius will be cheaper than the Leaf and the Volt. I'm guessing a $27-$28k MSRP before tax breaks for the car. Why? Both the Leaf and the Volt have larger (and thus more expensive) batteries, greatly driving up their costs. $32,000 for an electric car is still baffling since electric motors and components should be cheaper than gas engines and components.

But i think toyota made a relatively small battery capacity on purpose (13mi EV range), in order to reduce costs. Toyota generally doesn't include R&D costs into their cars, and tries to keep them low and affordable in order to saturate the market. I mean the Gen I prius was sold at a loss.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    In stead of anticipating a release date for the PHEV price - I'D just be happy for a firm date on WHEN they'll release a date that they SAY what the release date is.

:p

3. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Currently, batteries are still too expensive and full of deficiencies to even worry about "breaking even". But that's really not an issue for the people who will be getting these first gen vehicles! For most of us, the standard Prius (and equivalents) is and will be the best choice for a few more years. 5 years down the road maybe a kit will be available for under $2000 that can give the G3/4 a 40+ mile range!

Base model, $28,950! Just my guess!

4. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wait to test it impatiently and maybe pass from Prius III to PHV.

The relief where I live is not appropriate to the PIII. It cnsomme still too much in the small courses.

I will have expected better results.

5. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

bisco,

Just put my money down today on a Prius G3, model IV (2010). I wanted the sunroof, and sortta got talked into having the solar (as well).

Pick up next week after prepped and cleaned. can't wait.

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused: from factory it only comes with solar roof

I think this is on time an aftermarket roof is a no no, since you cannot get a sunroof same as factory, I belive it would-ve effect -the resale factor

7. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

factory: sunroof + solar.

I mainly wanted the sunroof...

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!:cheer2: i think you made the right move. what have you been driving?

9. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Jeep SUV.

In addition to no premium, the (almost) 2.5X better gas mileage of the G3 will mean much smaller transportation cost for me.

Also, substantially lowering my carbon foot print is also a thing I wanted to do...

Can't wait.

10. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cool! Just realize it takes a while to get used to the Prius and get the most out of it! Heck, I'm still trying new techniques to see what happens!

11. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

.... have people noticed a drop in MPGs with their Prius in the late summer because of the ethonol-gas mix now at the pumps?

12. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    10% ethanol is pretty much the standard mix year round now, but it does impact mileage quite a bit... by almost 10%!

13. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I could be wrong, but I thought that only applied to major urban areas with high smog levels?

"Year-round Reformulated Gasoline Program: Since 1995, the CAA requires reformulated gasoline (RFG) year-round in cities with the worst ground-level ozone (smog). RFG is oxygenated gasoline (minimum of 2 percent oxygen by weight) that is specially blended to have fewer polluting compounds than conventional gasoline. At this time, about 30 percent of this country’s gasoline is reformulated gasoline, of which about 87 percent (PDF) (6 pp, 30K) contains MTBE. Refiners have chosen MTBE as the main oxygenate in RFG in cities outside of the Midwest primarily for economic reasons and its blending characteristics. Unlike ethanol, MTBE can be shipped through existing pipelines, and its volatility is lower, making it easier to meet the emission standards."

The cities/urban areas impacted are shown in this link:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/oxy-area.pdf

14. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do not know, I live in upstate New York, except for one small brand company they all sell 10% ethanol!

15. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tried non-ethanol gas and did not see a great increase in MPG.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here.
    There are several stations locally that happily charge 10-15 cents more for the alky-free stuff.
    I haven't seen a measureable difference in my fuel efficiency when I've tried it. I can maybe believe about 2-MPG in a lab...no more. There just isn't that much more of a difference in energy density between the blends....and I drive on real world streets. If you have to look for the difference with lab equipment and a wind tunnel.....there's no real difference!

Most of the specuguessing about the evil effects of E-10 is the same sort of FUD that we have to deal with (other) uninformed rants about battery failures in hybrids.
    99.44% fertilizer.
    Once the PHV emerges from its elephantine gestation period, it promises to be an even better Prius than the garden variety G3---ethanol notwithstanding.
    How much they will charge for it is anybody's guess...buuuuut.... they're almost certainly going to be priced out of my depth band anyway.
    However (comma!) the technology will eventually trickle down to more humbly optioned Priuses (or some unnamed competitor) and then I'll be allllll over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich! :D

Trickle down technology. :cool:

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FuelEconomy.Gov estimates the price of the Prius PHV as $27,000 - $34,000.

18. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, that is what my friend in Japan says the car magazines in Japan has for the price as well.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's before the $3,000 tax credit since it also lists Volt's price before it's $7,500 tax credit.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe 2mpg in a Prius ... but NOT 2mpg in a Suburban. It'd only be about a 0.076 mpg improvement in that huge of a vehicle.
    ;)