1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any advice on defogging windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JohnSNY, Nov 23, 2012.

1. JohnSNY

JohnSNY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My windshield keeps fogging up in the mornings or when the temperature drops fast during the day. I don't want to turn on the defogger because it starts up the ICE. I have heard that getting the interior glass very clean will reduce the fog. I have already tried Blue Magic Never Fog Towelettes. They reduce the fog, but don't eliminate it. I read that Rain-X anti fog is useless. I live on Long Island, and park outside.

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wipe the windshield by hand with windshield wonder, it's listed on amazon and ebay:D

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i put the air flow to defrost/foot and turn the fan on. if you can stand the cold on your feet, it works pretty well. when it turns to frost, i'll probably have to run the ice for heat. all the best!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the cleaner the inside of the windshield, the slower it will fog up. very small inperfections, microscopic dust particles, etc. is what the water forms on.

the way RainX works is by polishing the glass and removing those surface irregularities. this allows water buildup to move forming by natural beading process into large drops which we can easily see around (plus gravity will slowly roll them down the glass out of the way) instead of a million microscopic drops aka fog

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from an amazon review: works as advertised...but read the cautions from other users...there are problems. NEVER repeat NEVER use Rain-X INSIDE your car windows or INSIDE on the windshield. Fog, streaks, misty appearance, blur, and it will NOT come off unless you use an abrasive cleanser

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    correct. not suggesting that you use RainX on the inside. its not as bad as all that but its not good for inside due to chemicals used. bad air and such.

there are products including ones made by RainX that you use for inside of glass. its just both work on same principle. called fogX i think...something like that but you dont need all that. any good window cleaner is fine. even ammonia and water will work.

as far as getting RainX off your windshield. just use windshield wipers. natural dust and grime will grind it off in no time.

7. Usually some sort of air flow will clear the inside of the glass, however turning on the fan can and does turn the engine on ( sometimes). This morning sitting in my car around 8:30 and suddenly the outside fogged up, what? That has never happened to any car I owned. I figured it out later, I was charging just outside of a fitness club and that was warm air from the pool. Oh the problems we have in CA. But, back to your problem, usually cracked open windows help. I was able to clear my problem with a very new technique that fortunately came to mind...........Windshield Wipers.

8. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had something called Diamond Fusion applied to my windshield when I bought my PIP. The dealer re applies the stuff when it wears off (water no longer beading) free of charge for as long as I own the car:D

9. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the inside?:whistle:

10. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the OP's topic was how to get rid of fog on the INSIDE of his windshield.:D

11. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my situation I drive down the side streets at 25mph or slower, wiping my windshield with windshield wonder, stopping the car if I have to. I'm only 2.7 miles from work so it works out fine for me:D

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my engine has never come on when i turn on the fan. i know, we've discussed this before.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This isn't rocket science, just open windows.

A tiny sliver of a crack on the passenger front and the driver back will prevent/clear humidity.

markabele likes this.
  14. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have moisture trapped inside the car, such as wet floor mats, or a wet towel that gets used to wipe down the inside of the windows? Or a damp rain jacket or umbrella that stays in the car?

If so, try to remove them from the car. Take them into the house to dry out, them return them to the car. Repeat daily for several days. Then repeat frequently throughout the cold wet season.

markabele and priuskitty like this.
  16. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another good idea:D

17. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    God why are you guys making it so complicated. Also the "crack a window" trick has never worked quickly enough in most situations, usually when the window fogs up it's because it's really humid outside as well.
    Anyway, set the temperature to LO, set the vents to foot+windshield, and turn on the fan. Do NOT press the front defrost button. If you follow this procedure, engine will NOT come on. Have used this multiple times personally. Do wish there was a way to choose JUST windshield vents though so that I didn't have to freeze my feet. Generally running it for 5-10 seconds is sufficient to clear it up though so it's not too bad.

18. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, from http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47818U/pdf/sec_03-01.pdf, pages 5 and 9 (362 and 366 in the printed manual):
    Defogging the windshield
    The air conditioning system control operates automatically.
    (The gasoline engine may operate during EV mode driving, depending on vehicle conditions.)
    Recirculated air mode will automatically switch to outside air mode.

Window defogger feature
    ●Recirculated air mode may automatically switch to outside air mode in situations where the windows need to be defogged.
    ●When the outside air temperature is low, it may take a while for the condensation to clear from the windshield.
    ●When is turned ON, the gasoline engine may operate depending on driving conditions. After that, even if is turned OFF, the fan does not stop and a state in which it is easy for the gasoline engine to operate continues. After defogging the windows, press as necessary to turn off the fan.

19. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Rain X Anti-Fog for years in the SW and Mid-Atlantic. Rain-X® Anti-Fog - Rain-X. Best used on new absolutely clean glass and mirrors. Only problem was the liquid water pooling at the bottom edge of the glass surfaces. I have not had good experience when using on older glass. Maybe one of their newer cleaners fixes this problem? Over spray of Armour-all cleaner will ruin your treatment. Reapply after cleaning your plastic dash parts.

I used the regular Rain-X on all exterior glass, car and house just to try it. Could clean the dust (SW) off with just a little water. The only issue I had was it worked to well. It could be raining quite hard at night and you wouldn't know it because the water beaded up and blew off the windshield so wipers did not seem to be needed. That is until the oncoming headlights lit up all those little beads of water leaving me with no visibility. Wipers clear the glass so you can see but will wear on the coating over time.

Hvac is still the best way to go as it vaporizes the thin film of water and blows it away.

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Set the climate control temp to Low, make sure the Defrost light is Off, then push the Mode button to direct air to the windshield and turn on the fan. Press the AC button and you'll defogger quickly. If the engine starts, set the temp to low, make sure the Defrost light is Off, turn off the car, then turn it on again.