1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody try the Venice Hybrid Tech grid charger for their Gen 1 Prius?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mr_I_Want_More_MPG, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Mr_I_Want_More_MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a discharged traction battery and haven't gotten any help from 2 Toyota dealers. I was considering an Elcon grid charger but they are pricey at $575 and they seem really busy and can't tell me when they can build one for me. Another place has them for $400+ but again won't have them ready for another month. Venice Hybrid Tech has one on ebay for $285. My battery is one year old and I ran it down due to engine problem. Need to charge it to fix my car. Haven't seen too much discussion about grid charging as compared to charging individual cells.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A couple of questions:
    • Where are you located?
    • Do you have a bench or place to work on the battery?
    • What sort of power supplies and electronic instruments do you have?
    • What sort of Prius-aware scanner do you have?
    • Are you under a time constraint?
    Bob Wilson

3. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wallingford, CT
    Yes
    No electrical supplies but I do have a friend with some stuff. He is an electrical engineer and he flies remote control electric planes.
    Don't have a scanner but again, a friend of a friend has a shop.
    Wasting $200 a month on fuel when i drive my truck as opposed to the prius.

A dealer said they can get Toyota to charge the battery for $267 but want to diagnose the car to make sure battery is ok. Another $97. And a tow - $100 minimum around here.
    I'm pretty confident that once the battery is charged I will be able to get the ICE running. We found water in the fuel after I ran it down pretty low. The idea of a grid charger seems like the perfect solution but haven't seen anyone use it on this forum. Seem more popular with Hondas. I'd rather not do the individual cell charge if I don't have to.

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it have HV battery cooling circuits included? If not stay far away cooling the HV battery while grid charging is critical to prevent cell overheat vent/ballooning.

5. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what they say:
    "These chargers do not require the cooling fan in the vehicle to run while charging as these are very low current chargers( 300 – 350 mA ) and as such are safe for charging for longer periods."
    Otherwise what specific charger would charge the individual cells? And how much do they cost. Of course I'd need some kind of multimeter, etc.. and it would take a fairly long time.

6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The slow controlled overcharge of the cells is what rebalances the battery pack. As the stronger cells reach full, they convert the charge energy to heat. The charger must continue to run in order to finish charging the weaker wells. A quality Grid Charger runs the HV battery fan and dissipates the heat. If the battery is not carefully 'overcharged' in this fashion, rebalancing will not occur.

If the heat is not evacuated, cell damage is very likely to occur. Even at only 350mA, the cooling fan operation is critical. We have tested cell charging w/o cooling fan and significant temperature increases and have seen 160-180 degrees F cell temperatures.

It's a matter of getting what you pay for: Hybrid Automotive chargers use positive lock CPC connectors, quality 500 volt DC high voltage wiring, PET sleeving, and self-cooling metal charger cases for maximum safety. We only use quality Mean Well internal power supplies which are hard screwed to the charger frame. We use brand new metal cases with built in self cooling capabilities. In addition to keeping your IMA battery cool, the grid charger self-cools to ensure maximum life span. The 04-09 Prius system will list for $399. The 1st Generation is going to be more due to more labor & parts required to complete the system, somewhere between $499-$549 initially, but we want to reduce that number as quickly as possible. Our ME is already working on a pre-fab enclosure that will significantly reduce production costs.

7. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmmmm, what to do, what to do?

8. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a 2002 with the HV at 20% that's been sitting in my driveway since last spring. I'm watching this development with great interest as that battery is going to have to be charged up, if not replaced. I'm in NM where there is a shop in Santa Fe that can charge the battery for $300 bucks if I remove it from the car and haul it up there to them. So for $200-300 bucks more I get a tool I use as well as share with other Gen I owners. Now if Hybrid Automotive can figure out how to combine the Gen I and II in one unit, it will be a really great day, not just a great day!

9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the kind words. The 99-03 Prius Grid Charger *is* compatible with the 04-09 Prius - but not the other way around. If you have both generation cars, or want to share with someone who does (we are happy to support this with extra car harnesses for whoever wants them) get the 1st generation unit as you will be able to use it on both cars.

flxcon and yotatoter like this.
  10. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't wait any longer and ordered the Venice Hybrid Tech charger. It was rather unimpressive looking but it WORKED!!!! Got my car started and have some hybrid codes - triangle and car with exclamation point but it RUNS!!! You go Prius. Anyway, car will drive but I have further work to do. F%$@! off Toyota dealerships. They were worthless.

Technigogo likes this.
  12. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am officially declaring my car fixed!! No codes. Runs perfectly. All due to water in the fuel. Thanks Raj at Venice Hybrid Tech. While his charger looks like a home-built unit it worked as promised. As for cooling while charging I did it overnight in a 35 degree garage. Quite relieved that I was able to get it fixed. I do have mixed feelings about the Prius now. Seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong as these cars get older. And certain problems can be compounded by having a battery discharge. I am at least a bit wiser now and know where I stand with Toyota dealers (and it isn't good).

Andy Aeschbacker likes this.