1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else ever have Heater Core work done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by greengecko, Dec 27, 2012.

1. greengecko

greengecko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I smelled coolant in the car today driving my 04 around. Drove a junker with a bad heater core in college and boy did the smell bring back memories... but I digress. We are prepared to trade in this car next major repair. I'm hoping to find out how much this cost others so I can get my brain around losing this old friend, or not. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think this is a common repair. It may cost you into the low four-digits if you use a new part and Toyota dealer service. If you use a salvage part and an independent then you may pay a high three-digit figure. Good luck.

3. greengecko

greengecko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, turns out it was not the heater core, which, btw the dealer estimated would cost $1400. I thought I knew the smell of coolant, but this was a rodent nest next to the fan. So the reputation of Prius heater cores remains intact.

Now I need to figure out what kind of soap to mount next to the air intake and how to mount it.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you for updating! Search for the thread "mouse proofing the Prius" for some interesting discussions. Good luck!