1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone interes in a custom Prius Gen III (or"v") "pinch weld" jacking adapter for racing floor jack?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I made and tested a few of these late last Fall. I went through nearly eight prototypes, before I finally got it right. They are four inches long and are especially designed for the Harbor Freight aluminum flat top racing jack. I believe that they can be used on some other floor jacks with a small top plate.

The photos are shown with the pinch welds on my 2012 Prius"v"

PriusChat members; tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. mellowjd

mellowjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These don't look too bad but I am planning on using the HF jack stand rubber pads at $8/set.

3. ou812

ou812 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A seller on eBay is selling hockeypucks with a groove cut down the middle.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Enjoy the "hockey pucks."

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't like it since its not using the pinch weld as a point to push up, but its using the outer part of the pinch weld as the part you jack up, which I don't know how stable that part of the pinch weld is. I for one would use the recommended jacking point for the Prius as you can bend the pinch weld if jacked in the wrong spot.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Your opinion is welcomed, but it appears to be both arbitrary and capricious and without explanation.

The OEM scissors jack is designed to bear upon the sheet metal in this area. My adapter is spread the load to more three times the surface area of the scissors jack.

The adapter, while made of a thick age harden aluminum 6061-T6 alloy, is designed to bend, instead of the sheet metal. A heavy load would allow the two "wings" to bend until the pinch weld "bottoms" on the adaptor.

Basically, the supporting area and points will exceed the OEM supplied equipment by 3-5 fold.

7. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see, just wondering how it works. I would like to see a video of it, is that possible?

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No video needed. I've uploaded the photo of the official Toyota jacking diagram.

They recommend rubber blocks. Mine are aluminum.

Attached Files:

9. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    we know the jacking points. I rather see a video if you're trying to convince us if we're interested, just my Opinion.

10. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't ever use a jack in those locations, I always jack from the front or rear locations. I do use jack stands in the locations you are referring to however.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I guess you don't ever use the scissors jack. Just look under your car.

12. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Looks great Mike, What would the cost of this be with shipping to tropical Buffalo NY 14051?

Mike500 likes this.
  13. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No patience for the scissor jack ;) . I always use a floor jack in the front/rear middle locations shown in the diagram you posted. I can get both wheels up an on jack stands in no time.

14. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank for your interest.

The first one will be $19.50 delivered, with $18 for each additional ordered and shipped at the same time.

I'll have to check how many I have. I have to keep the prototype and test article, if I want to make more in the future.

15. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're going to jack it up at the pinch weld, where would you put the jack stands if that's where you're suppose to be putting the jack stands?

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have two jacks, which I use for rotating tires.

I'd jack up the car using the front or back jacking point and use this adapter between the top of the jack stand and the jacking point.

Anyway, I would got under the car under any jack. I prefer ramps and use stands only if I have to work on the suspension and have to remove the wheels.

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tried them, already. They were awkward. The fit was poor. The "pinch weld" sat teetered on the center bottom of the pad like a knife edge.

18. mellowjd

mellowjd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think there is an opportunity with the jack stand adapters... and I would be interested in some that wouldn't have the potential to mar the surface area around the pinch weld and also make as good of contact with the jack stand as it does the pinch weld. With this current version it seems the stand would only meet the jack stand adapter at the two small highest points. Also maybe there is a way to add some rubber into the design and create a better fit to the jack stand...

19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Jack stands have not been redesigned since the days of car frames and solid rear axles. I remember them to be the same as they had bees when I bought my first pair in 1969. I either place them under the rear axle, the front cross member on a rear wheel drive vehicle of the shock mount on a heavy A frame lower control arm.

A good jack stand might be one with a flat top and a 3/8 inch wide slot cut 7/8 inch deep down the middle.

These jack stands could be easily modified without weakening the top structure.

That way; it would accommodate a pinch weld and also a solid axle or a flat place on a frame.

In my design, I paid more attention with the "contact" of the jacking point on the car than that of the jack stand. Car has been taken that the adaptor maintains full contact with the inner and outer surfaces on each side of the pinch weld. The jack stand acts like a fulcrum or pivot point as the angle of contact changes with the car being raised.

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Mike,
    I'd like to get a set (one for front and one for rear jack point) if you decide to sell them.
    It will make tire rotation easier by using two jacks simultaneously on the same side.

Thanks... Rob