1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone notice the feel of a different car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Aug 20, 2014.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have driven a number of cars and some feel a lot different. In a Prius, the pedal pressure is a lot lighter than in a BMW or Mercedes - i.e. push harder to do the same thing and just seems a lot less efficient.

Don't think it's just me.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Many vehicles now use electronically controlled throttles as apposed to the cable/butterfly of past which had mechanical feedback. Feel computers and force transducers (that's what we call them in aviation at least) are used to electronically "simulate" the effects of the older designs. The calibration of said "feel" is designed in by manufactures/engineers to regulate control for safety and to give a desired or perceived effect. That's the short answer, though there are likely other reason in play.

If I understand your post correctly...

#2 frodoz737, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the first things that I loved to hate about my Prius was the Xbox-360 steering.
    The throttle doesn't really bother me since I use CC for probably 80-percent of my driving.
    If I drove my Prius recreationally it might bother me a little more.

Every car I drive is different.
    Back when I was working in a bigger office with 3-4 company cars in the lot (all same-year Chevy Cavaliers) they each felt 'different' to me.
    I'm not a pilot, nor do I play one on TV but I'm thinking that feedback is a very non-trivial issue when you're dealing with control surfaces....
    American Airlines Flight 587 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unlike my Prius, when I press on the accelerator pedal in my Corvette, I suddenly feel immense amounts of pressure between my back and the surface of the seat. :eek:

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Even mechanical systems will have different feel to them based on the design and how they are adjusted. I didn't like the family Luminas because they had a very soft brake pedal and stiff steering. Like the steering team was going for sporty performance and the brake guys for luxury comfort. When driving the wife's Sable, I have to remember it has a V6 with over twice the displacement and no turbo lag of the Sonic when applying the gas. Sometimes stiffer, less efficient feel of the control inputs allow overall better control of the vehicle.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen2 Prius likely produced more torque, and was no slouch off the line when pushed, but accelerating with that Duratec in the Sable just feels more enjoyable. Other aspects, like the suspension, play a roll, but I can't describe what exactly makes it feel better.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As it applies to aircraft it is critical. I would speculate various forms of this technology is used on your previous "transports" as well.

8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    More than 428 lb·ft (580 N·m)?

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.
    It was both much easier and harder to deal with a loss of control surfaces...jammed stern planes drills used to scare the CRAP out of the nukes! :eek:
    All they could tell from back there is that we had a 20-30 degree down angle and a shaft spinning wildly in reverse trying to compensate.
    We had time to deal with casualties, but it takes a lot longer to correct 10,000 tons of boat that's not going where you want it to.
    Good times.

We had room (and money) to put in a lot more redundancy and we had 100 crew members and (usually)no pax.
    Pretty much everybody knew what to do and when and where to do it when bad stuff happened.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was comparing the Prius to the Sable if it wasn't clear.:)
    The gen2 MG2 put out 295 lb·ft @ 0rpm, while the Sable's Duratec had 200 lb·ft @ 4400rpm.

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a 500+HP (performance cam/headers,etc..) loud, shaking, runs like shite in 1st gear... Challenger from NJ to LI last weekend via the GW bridge. Used 1/4 of the tank go go 70mi :(
    Only a 70mi drive, but with a 6 speed manual tranny and all that stop an go traffic- my left knee was killing me by the end of the three hour trip! Did get a couple of thumbs up on the way home- never got that in my PIP or Volt.
    Was glad to get back to my silent/smooth as silk Volt operating in all EV mode...

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the past, I've mentioned driving experience can influence how you drive. In a Prius, a number of things influence driving efficiently:
    • Huge digital speedo instead of a small sweep dial
    • Lots of other info on the dash
    • Low to the ground to sense the speed better (as opposed to a pickup)
    • Not as insulated to noise as other cars
    • Very good visibility, notably the rear hatch where you can see tailgaters. :p
    The feel of the accelerator is something I've noticed. On a BMW or Mercedes I'm putting more pressure than on a Prius - feels like I'm using at least twice as much gas which is accurate.

13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like a horrible car. Why were you driving it?

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a favor, it needed to be relocated for a family member... and I know how to drive a stick- so I drew the duty.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. My Prius can't get rid of a problem that my old CL600 could.

With both of them, when I get up to about 80-90mph, there's an annoying red-and-blue flashing light in the rear-view mirror, and sometimes a strange "woo woo" sound behind me. In the CL600, if I pressed the accelerator, the noise and the light would fade away, but with the Prius that doesn't seem to work.