1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Appropriate Replacement tires for 2012 v five? (p215/50 R70 90W)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by santam, Oct 3, 2013.

1. santam

santam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a flat tire, that got damaged on the sidewall after some driving. The tire shop where it took for flat repair said that tire is not usable, and he suggested buying a pair as a replacement instead of one.

The original Toyo tires from the dealership cost $285 each, which sounds way too steep for two.

Any suggestions on how to go about choosing replacement tires for the right fit, fuel economy, treat wear, etc.? I am considering a Michelin or Bridgestone brand from Costco...don't have specific details on them.

Not feeling so good for having to replace two tires for a year old car, and non-OEM. your suggestions will be appreciated! Thx!

This is what Michelin website recommends only one tire.
    Pilot® Sport A/S 3

Ultra-High Performance Sport

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You can have high MPG or high tread life, take your pick.
    I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't Michelin, but that's me. The Defender is best for tread life, and the Energy Saver A/S is best for MPG. You may be limited by the 17" wheel size in some areas.

3. santam

santam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure that i am not doing anything wrong by choosing alternative to Toyo. just need to check if Costco has those.

4. wmh37

wmh37 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Santam,
    I buy only Michelin, and have for years. My v has Bridgestones on it, and I believe my first Prius, an '06, did, too. Those didn't last very long. I don't remember which Michelin my tire shop recommended, but I went with the recommendation. I would really recommend an independent tire shop, over Costco, as you will get personal attention, your records will be in their data base, so rotation time will be easy for them to retreive. Maybe Costco offers the same kind of service, but my understanding is, the tires they carry are a lower rung tire than those which specialty shops carry, but I have never verified that. I know that Costco's Michelins are generally lower-priced than those my shop carries, and volume buying accounts for part of that.
    As to which tire to buy, in the Michelin line, I went to the Michelin Web site, and entered a '13 v with Level 3 finish, and a list of eight tires came up. The Energy Saver Pilot Sport A/S 3 was on the list, but it's only rated 7 out of 10 for Wear Life, whereas the Primacy MXV4 rates a 10 for Wear Life, Fuel Efficiency and Comfort, and 9 for Handling and Braking. That's my tire, when the Ghost needs some.
    V. resp'y,
    WmH37

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Assuming they are still available when the Toyo's wear out, it will definitely be Michelin MXV4 tires from Costco for our Prius v Five. The MXV4's I bought at Costco in 2010 for my Lexus LS have almost 40,000 miles on them and still have between 6 and 7 mm of tread left - they will probably make it past their 60,000 mile forecasted life which is incredible on my LS. The longest any tire has lasted on this car was 40,000 miles and the shortest life and most expensive tire lasted only a bit over 20,000 miles.

The MXV4 has to be the best combination of ride quality, noise level, handling and wear I have ever experienced - I hope Michelin makes this tire model forever. I'm thinking that MXV4's on our Prius v will improve the ride quality and lower the noise level. Costco has become the only place we buy tires but we always wait for their tire specials and sometimes purchase tires a year or more in advance of when we need them - bought 12 tires at once in 2010.

6. wmh37

wmh37 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well, so much for the theory that Costco tires are inferior to independent tire dealers. Thanks for the information. That is great to know. It certainly confirms what I know about the MXV4. And I like your practice of buying when the price is right, and not necessarily when you need the tires. Duly noted, filed for future reference.
    WmH37

7. santam

santam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes sense to go with 60k mile warranty & fuel economy, but which ones to choose from MXV4 below? Not sure how these specs compare to the original 215/50R17 90W. Since Michelin's website shows only A/S 3 Pilot Sport (Tire Size: 215 / 50ZR17 XL95W) for 2012 v Five by default, I wonder if they are safer to go with...

MXV4 Tire Size: 215 / 50R17 91H
    MXV4 Tire Size: 215 / 50R17 XL95V

Just want to add that I am buying at Costco, replacing only two tires from original Toyo tires, and road noise in my car is bothersome compared to my 12 year old Camry.

rdgrimes, wmh37, offline - thanks for all our comments!!!

8. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only MXV4's I have experience with are the H-series (130 mph). I had to sign a waiver at Costco when I bought them since V-series (149 mph) came on my Lexus. V-series tires are certainly not needed on a Prius and I've found that they are usually harsher riding and wear out quicker.

I would not replace only two tires! The handling characteristics could be too different to be safe and you will be limited in how you can rotate your tires. Frequent rotation is the key to making tires wear evenly. Rotate more often when tires are "young" and every 5,000 miles or so until they are worn out. One great thing about Costco is that they rotate for free and there usually is a short wait time with no appointment necessary.

9. santam

santam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Offline, Replacing all sounds ideal, but is a bit of a stretch for me! I am replacing two tires because I have one flat. :( It definately sucks.

10. Cape Codder

Cape Codder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  11. santam

santam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Thx.

12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This web page from Tire Rack provides information about this question: Tire Tech Information - Mixing Tires&

I doubt that mixing tires on a low power car like a Prius would be nearly as dangerous as on a high performance vehicle that is driven vigorously. Per the Tire Rack article, my recommendation is to buy one Toyo tire, rotate your tires often, and replace all four Toyo tires when the three oldest one wears out. That's what we did and are doing after my wife trashed one of the Toyo tires on a curb.

It is unfortunate that the Prius v Five has these 17" wheels. I would have rather had similar 16" wheels and slightly higher profile tires which would have provided a softer ride and have sidewalls that are harder to damage on curbs.

13. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think most people would prefer 17" over 16" wheels, so you should be able to find someone to swap 17" for 16" wheels here on PriusChat (PC), or locally on Craigslist.

I blame the Toyo tires over the 17" wheel for any sidewall damage. There are a lot of Toyo tire damage stories here on PC.

14. Hale

Hale New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just installed a set of Goodyear Assurance FuelMax 17" on my 2012 Priusv five, and the improvement in feel and handling over the OEM Toyo tires is significant.

15. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone tried the Michelin Premiere A/S? I have the Toyo OEM 17" but don't want to buy these as replacements due to the high cost. I think they are overkill for a car that's supposed to be "ECO Friendly".

I have a set of Premieres on my 98 Accord and I can say they are very quiet, smooth riding, and have great traction (on dry pavement anyway.....I'm in southern CA and it doesn't rain here). I just haven't heard anything about how they may affect MPG.

Costco recommends either the Michelin Premieres or Pilots.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Johnny Zero swapped to premier a/s (from OEM Yoko?). I believe mainly positive, but taking some hit on mpg.

17. iflutist

iflutist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Do anyone know about wear with the Premiers? I hear they only come with 8.5/32 instead of 10/32.

Can't decide between Michelin Premier A/S and Continental PureContacts...

18. edawg

edawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

19. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither of those choices is particularly LRR in nature. But I'd be surprised if you get more life than you will with the Premier. I'd rather have better MPG and replace the tire a little more often, but then I rarely have a car long enough to wear out tires.

A tire with deeper tread is just telling you that the tire wears faster. It also increases RR.

20. iflutist

iflutist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Thanks rdgrimes. I understand they are not the 'true' LRRs but they do say they are low rolling resistance of some sort and I am trying to find a set that will still give me good wet/hydroplane performance. Would these be good choices knowing that?