1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

April 10, 2014...The GM recall deepens...

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Mike500, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm of mixed feelings on this.

A) I'm disappointed in the number and breadth of the issues.
    B) I'm am very happy to see GM is digging to 'clean house' and fix any issues they can uncover.
    C) I'm relieved my GM had no ignition switch or ignition key lock to be broken ;)

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In a few years, the steering column lock and the mechanical key will be gone from all automibiles.

The steering column lick is there only because it is mandated by the government.

In the age of computers, ultra low 0-5 volt digital signals, full high amp ignition switching will fade away.

Mechanical switching at full voltage on TV tuners and on-off switches disappeared years, ago due to unreiability.

Remember how bad the picture got, when the tuner contacts got dirty?

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It does tend to boggle the mind how long some take to adopt "new" technology though.

Prius back in 2003 had a fob and a screen on the dashboard. How many vehicles still don't? Heck, the backup camera (priceless in the dark, even if some vehicles don't have visual impairments in the daylight) won't even be a standard until 2018 and that required a mandate. Other things, like airbags, had drawn out acceptance too.

Oh well, the cleaning house now and sucking up the expense is better than the alternative of not taking responsibility.

Hopefully, the "new" will be easier to embrace now. After all, what led me to Prius back in 1999 was disappointment with the unreliable nature of automatic transmissions.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Adoption is pretty slow in much of the auto industry.
    Although this customer decided right after experiencing a rear view camera that I would never buy a car without it.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had a 2006 HHR, and it already had a twist and release ignition. While I'm sure nearly everyone held the key turned to start until the engine was fired up, it wasn't necessary. The ignition switch was safe on that car. My father owned before me, and he has a key ring full of stuff. Plus, the car had the flaw in the automatic shifter in which an internal switch might not engage. You could shift through all the gears without pressing the shift button when this happened. It also meant the ignition wouldn't release the key when it was in park. You had to push the manual release button underneath the steering column to get the key out.

What is costing GM money on this recall is lazy paper work. An updated ignition design was approved in 2006, but it used the same part number as the faulty one. Many of the cars coming in for the recall may not actually need it, but there isn't a paper trail to determine if all the accidents were cars with the old design.

GM Begins Repair Process in Ignition-Switch Recall | Fox Business
    In defense of GM: Its risk assessment about the faulty ignition switch may have been reasonable.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In the long run, the cost of electronic would be actually cheaper than the mechanical stuff they would replace.

I'm not talking about the Smart Key "RF" type of system.

An electronically coded key like that of a "Smart Card" with a push button "start-stop" button would be all that's needed.

Inserting the "Smart-Card" into a narrow 3/4 or one inch slot down into the console would be easy and positive.

Hotels have been using it for years, and it's cheap.

The mechanical steering when lock is heavy, bulky and expensive to make. At least three pounds can be saved.

Once inserted, the "Smart card" key will keep the steering, brakes and air bags activated.

Like the Prius, the start-stop button could do all the Accessory, Start and Stop functions. Everything can be built as one chip on the board of the ECU.

The GM situation will make this happen sooner, than later.