1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

are stone chips a problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by autopc, Feb 2, 2012.

1. autopc

autopc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Soon to be new Prius owner. Are stone chips a problem for anyone. Where are you getting them? Are most on the plastic bumper skin, any on the metal hood? Just wondering if chips are a issue due to paint quality or the shape of the Prius? I have had 3M Clear Bras on other cars which help a lot. Anyone feel the Prius need a clear bra?

Thanks

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got quite a few stone chips on the front plastic bumper, so if you don't want to see any...then get the clear bra. It is, however, only noticeable when I'm hand washing. (they are very small)

3. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems there are many people on the forum with rock chip issues, but after 12 months of driving on salted and/or rural/highway roads there's not one single chip in the paint anywhere on our Prius.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3M clear bra on my Honda Fit, and I think all aerodynamic sloping hood vehicles can benefit from having clear bra.

About a Year and 1/2, and my hood is almost perfect. Saves me a lot of time with touch up paint.

Prius owners can probably be more specific about total coverage recommendations. (Which I'd like to hear as well). But in general? If trying to maintain a good looking vehicle is a priority? I think clear bra is a good investment.

I was mixed when I first purchased, The Fit was the first vehicle I ever had a clear bra installed, but now after over a year? I've been convinced...good idea.

5. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know this is a gen III thread (I own a gen III now!), but my 2005 was absolutely shredded from stone chips. Now, I drove it for 7 years and put 100k miles on it (mostly highway). But when I traded in my '05 a few weeks ago, the the lower plastic bumper looked like it had been sandblasted. The lower half of my hood had tons of stone chips as well.

I had a 3M clearbra installed professionally when I bought my new 2011. If it even saves HALF of the stone chips, then it will have been money well-spent. Especially considering that both of my local body shops wanted about $900 to remove and repaint the front bumper of my 2005. My 3M clearbra only cost about $550 for a complete front-end install. Hope that helps!

6. autopc

autopc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess the Prius is no different. I have had clear bras on my last 8-10 cars. All of them looked pretty much like new after several years after I peeled of the plastic film. I guess I am going to do the front bumper, part of the hood, mirrors, door edges on the Prius. Any issues with chips on the side rockers or rear lower bumper?

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd say it depends largely on your area and the routes you take.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i recommend a clear bra. i don't have one but i have a lot of little marks taken on the front of my car. this is partly why i chose silver.

the great new is that those little chips won't really escalate beyond being little chips. most of the exterior of this car is either plastic (bumpers) or aluminum (sides, hood, top, hatch)

make sure to wax yearly!

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking back I would have also covered the first 18"of the roof. I have a number of chips in that area.

$550 is cheap for a clear bra, curious how good the job is. Mine was $850.

MB860 ?

10. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any comments on clearshield ?
    There is an authorized dealer who did auto tinting on all my cars for the past few years, he said he would do the clearshield bra on my 2012 prius for $500.

He also showed me the work done on his new camaro and it was pretty impressive.
    Is clearshield inferior to 3M clear bra?

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stick with the major brands. I have not heard good things about clearshield. Stick with 3M, XPEL ultimate or Nanofusion. Make sure the installer uses the XPEL patterns (best coverage with fewest seams) but does custom pieces for the mirrors.

MB860 ?

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had VentureShield film on my 2006 & the 1st trip the 2010 took was to get shrinkwrapped. The film has prevented some damage to the bumper cover on the '06 and the right mirror cover on the '10. Don't forget to cover the top of the rear bumper & the cups behind the door handles.

The environmentally friendly paint formula isn't as durable.

13. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Two years not a problem! I have a strip on the edge of the hood only helps with Bugs in the summer! I always tell my wife to BACK OFF the semi trucks on the freeway! Get a touch up paint stick at the dealer works great. Take care

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know how well Blizzard Pearl touches up? I know some colors make touch ups look terrible :(

Mike

15. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Not to get off topic but had a body shop guy tell me white is one of the hardest colors to match.One or two chips not a problem! But a Prius Plus body kit sprayed at a body shop could be a nightmare the factory has a hard time getting it right!!
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...5952-bumper-color-mismatch-sandy-beach-v.html

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhh, :confused: does that mean BP will be a biotch to touch up when I get a stone chip?

Mike :p

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends a lot on the sort of roads you travel, construction in the area, and so on. That said, if you don't tailgate, stone chips are pretty few and far between.

1 person likes this.
  18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the car will only see summer driving ;) I stay as far from big trucks and Bubba's with their pickups as much as possible.

Mike

19. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I was about to make same comment. You can really reduce the chances of debris flying up and scratching your car by keeping enough space between the car/truck in front of you.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only problem driving a Prii is many a-holes cut you off for some unknown reason :(

Mike