1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there automatic lights on the Prius C III?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by meehow09, Mar 14, 2012.

1. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I know there are daytime running lights, but is there a setting to turn on the headlights automatically at night using light sensors? I noticed that there was a light sensor on the front of the dashboard in over the speedometer, to the left of the windshield air vents. It is a small round ball.

This same ball light sensor was on my Hyundai Veloster and Toyota Celica which both had automatic headlight, but I cannot find a way to turn it on in the Toyota Prius C 3.

Can someone tell me for sure if the Prius C3 has it?

If it doesn't that what is that light sensor for on the dashboard?

2. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I am pretty sure automatic lights are not an option on any level Prius C...my guess is the sensor you are seeing is for the automatic climate control..

-M

3. LizKauai

LizKauai First PriusC3 owner on Kauai!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Haven't found any auto lights either. And I turned my running lights off.

4. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How?

5. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    heck no:mad:

6. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah did your dealership do that for you? I absolutely despise daytime running lights, and I don't really have a reason, just hate them :p I gotta have them removed.

7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, dealer most likely. It's a configurable option (as is the seatbelt beep reminder).

8. LizKauai

LizKauai First PriusC3 owner on Kauai!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good question.
    I got into the setup menus. Will need to go back to the car to look but it's probably in the manual too.

Let you know tomorrow.

9. meehow09

meehow09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    On my light switch to the left of the steering wheel, the daytime running lights (DRL) can be chosen to be turned on or all lights off. I don't think that the dealer needs to turn it off. Just don't put the headlights to the DRL position.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right where you normally turn your headlights on, instead of turning them forward for on, you turn them back one for daytime running lamps off. I was surprised they allow that seeing Toyota is so focused on safety.

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah seriously, DRLs do nothing but improve safety, and they are powered by LEDs! Why would you ever want to turn them off?

12. gini21

gini21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I am purchasing a Prius C 4 this weekend, I was wondering if anyone knew if the 4 models have automatic headlights. I drive a 2010 Matrix S right now, and I've gotten used to the auto headlights:)

13. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    got my model 4 couple of weeks ago , no automatic headlights,

any one know of a aftermarket product that we can add?

14. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    auto-on headlights are available on the Prius Four and Five liftbacks only, so if Toyota's specs on their site are correct, no c models have auto-on. Hell, none of them even have auto-off, which comes standard on the Prius Two+Three…

15. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My now dead 2001 Prizm has auto on headlights. I really like the feature. When I drive my 1997 Prizm or our 2007 Fit at night - I often drive for awhile before realizing my lights are off.:( Did I say I like auto on lights??

16. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At night while jockeying cars in the driveway, I don't need to be blinded by headlights. Parking lights are all I need to see where I left the other car.

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm sorry but have you actually seen these lights in person?

they are NOT headlights. they are separate LEDs (I believe 5 on each side) that have a nice cool glow from the bottom of your bumper.

18. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    ok, on my three, they are not available. the only nice thing is that if you forget to turn your headlights off and open the door, you hear a very loud, continous beep, which gets your attention to turn them off. the drl are interesting. if you see them from the side they just are barely noticable. BUT coming straight at you they are very very bright. can you use them at night. HECK no! so, the only thing i have to remember is to turn on my headlights at night. i have not had to do that in many years. even my harley has auto on headlight. oh well...

19. CladMonitor

CladMonitor Hybrid Reality

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We just bought our Prius C four and made sure we purchased it with every option. The first night I felt stupid when my fiance reminded me to turn on the lights, but thought "It must need to be in the On position all the time to be automatic" (because I saw the Light indicator as well on the dash). But when I got home and turned her off (the car), she exclaimed "Turn Lights Off".

The next day I contacted the service center and they broke me the bad news that we suddenly have been transported to 1985 where a photo sensor in vehicles was a luxury item. Lets just say I was less than pleased considering my last 3 <$15k Corollas all had this as a std feature.

Not sure why they left this out but its sure is a bs move for a $25k vehicle.

Mabarking likes this.
  20. Bill Lohman

Bill Lohman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have been known to make stuff which I want, but that doesn't exist yet. For a while now I've been seriously considering making a couple of breadboards for my lights to make them auto (with the switch in the DRL posltion). My thinking is that (in my case with a PC1) the DRLs are just a lower voltage on my high lamps (which my LED replacements hate). I can use one relay for the main lights at a higher voltage, and shoot the low voltage through a photo-eye and back to a lower voltage relay with a snubber. The higher voltage relay would break the ground to the low voltage relay (i.e. when you turn the light switch on) and bypass the whole setup. I'm just not too sure about the high beams w/o having to actually turn the lights from DRL to ON. Anybody have any thoughts on that?