1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are they expanding the PIP availability?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by filiberti, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same with me, once the free service is over I go to a local mechanic for minor service work as I live 50 miles from my Toyota dealer, but I have a 2103 Lexus RX450h and I am so spoiled by their service, plus I have 4year/48000 miles.
    I almost bought a Lexus CT200h just for that reason, Lexus service spoils you.

2. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly, I have RX450h too, (golden) and Es300h they have spoiled me as well

iPhone ?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As much as people desire a simplified answer, we know that isn't really the case. We know that Toyota has set the goal of cost as a high priority. Why sell a vehicle making only a marginal profit when waiting will yield better results? We also know that Toyota choses to let the "superiors" battle it out first. Why not avoid the niche fallout when the aim is mainstream consumers anyway? Lastly, we know that Toyota knows what the next generation has in store. Why not let the those with strong interest seek out the vehicle instead, especially when that worked out so well with the Classic model.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Free to the owner. Toyota pays the dealer for the service. As to after the pre-paid 25K service, not everyone is a mechanic, and while anyone can change the oil, when it comes to the EV/HV systems, isn't specialized training and test/repair equipment something that nudges one toward a dealer's service department for those things?

5. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, we know a *lot*! ;-) There is nothing simple about the answer I posted: it involves emissions credits, and fractions of emissions credits, and multiple state laws. If you prefer to believe, against the evidence to the contrary, that Toyota doesn't dislike BEVs and is instead just being *really smart* (which apparently involves falling behind in the necessary technology), go ahead. Just remember that when you cheer-lead for Toyota, you lose some credibility, especially among those who have been following this issue.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    don't feel bad
    ... last time I checked, the electricity used to run those gasoline refineries came from coal too. So using coal as an excuse to not run electric is as lame as it gets. Or maybe those Ohio folks thought gasoline refinery power came from the laughter of little children.
    ;)

drash, finman and markabele like this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I added reasons, saying it was all of the above influencing the decision. Don't just dismiss or ignore this others.

It's just like when people quote only a single reason for purchasing a Prius.

8. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't expect them to try and expand sales in winter especially northern states. I know when it's zero out and a foot of snow I think about going to a car lot not. What must the EV range be on the demo models in New England be this winter 6? 8?

Southeast Toyota is a franchise and run their own show. Sales margin, money and volume, may be to small for them to want to mess with. Gulf States may be the same.

Searched through maybe 200 dealer sites. Certain dealers like Carson and Russel have lots full of PiPs. A few dealers have a few most have none. Russel may have more than all other MD and Va dealers combined. Few advanced and no ATP models.

Searched 20 some dealers in AZ, a rollout state, and only 4 even listed the PiP on their site. 3 of these were using the same website model so even this might have just by default. None had any listed in inventory.

Search sorted by highest price first and included Prius HB in case they were mix together. Interesting that there are so many unsold/new 2012 Prius HB pkg v with ATP available at $5k to $7k off msrp.

The resale devaluation, think insurance here too, do to all the rebates and credits available only in certain states make this a tough sale in those that don't offer them. I lose $10k just by signing versus the net value of a Calif. PiP.

9. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I live in north central Ohio and my EV range this winter has been staying in a range of 12.6 to 11.8 miles consistently.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...well WV had the very best PiP state tax credit at $7500 for those who struck gold before the party ended last year. I think CA has the best PiP credit now at $1500, PA has a taxable $1000, MD $600...that's about it...smaller credit in CO. The HOV access in CA is a big deal there, and PiP's will lose that later this year it looks like.

I am thinking CA PiP sales might take a hit when the last CA green sticker goes out. So that may be part of it.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With all the negative press articles that came out with previous Fall rollout... and no apologies or even mention later for not having identified the MPG being well below "advertised" afterward... waiting until at least Spring is a sensible choice. People were led to believe Prius under-delivered. Then when MPG shot up due to the warm weather, they pretended that never happened.

Anywho, we see lots of misinterpretations of how the system actually works and it is indeed compounded by the effects of Winter. Notice how the entire industry slipped in January?

Earth Day is the obvious time to set focus. Until then (the month of March), we just have to tough it out. For me, that means dealing with the -14°F temperature right now. Blah!

12. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Warming up nicely! Enjoy! :)

13. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The EV range of the PIP we test drove last Spring, in 80+ degree weather, was zero. Despite my asking them to charge it first, it wasn't charged at all. With Toyota's sales staff so uninterested in the car, I don't think time of year will make a huge difference in sales. Gas prices have a much more direct impact.

14. GTE

GTE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They are not sold inMinnesota normally. One dealer I know got a few some time ago from another dealer. I got mine in California

15. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm sure it's different in each region but in the Mid Atlantic region the dealers weren't transferring holdbacks or factory rebates or whatever profits Toyota assigns to dealers so it turned out not to be very economical for me in PA to get one from another state. The dealer would have but it would have cost me several thousand extra dollars.

16. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you do what I did , I went to a CARB state and bought mine thre and thus was eligible for the incentives offered in Maryland. 0% financing and $1000 cash back for financing.

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A few months from a year of ownership and have yet to see another PiP in person besides my own (that means on the road, dealership, or otherwise).

18. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saw 2 driving down the shore yesterday.

19. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Something I considered. At the time the 2013 Prius had a better technology package so I decided I would stick with that. I was also concerned that my dealer wouldn't be up on PiP maintenance (although it's probably very similar to standard hybrid).

I expect in 5 years or so when I'm ready for a new one I'll give it a stronger consideration. Assuming that hydrogen fuel cell engines aren't more mainstream.

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never noticed many Prii here in oil country before I bought mine, except for the taxi cabs. Quite a few cab companies have adopted the Prius because of it's low running and maintenance costs.