1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you a Black Friday Shopper?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Nov 22, 2012.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well I'm not but I know some can't resist and may already be waiting in line. I hate standing in line and waiting. I'll be glad to pay a bit more or buy on line to avoid the hassle and stress. Besides, the wasted gas and time looking for a place to park is frustrating enough. Your thoughts?

sdtundra likes this.
  2. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish we had this in the UK. We have sales but no way near Black Friday prices!

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Picked up a used, IBM Thinkpad, $98 at 9:05 AM . . . no crowds nor rush. Soon as I swap the drive, it will be running Debian Linux and I'll 'excess' my last corporate provided laptop. Thanks 'brain dead' IT Security departent!

But is also means this will become an 'infrastructure' system. We'll run our G4 USB stick and configure it to be a stealthy, personal WiFi hotspot . . . possibly permanently in our Prius. This will be a lot of fun. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Buy what the masses don't or can't.

We went to Sears. Arrived at 7:50pm, doors opened at 8pm. There was a long line, so we sat in the car and waited and talked. When the doors opened and all the crazies rushed in we were just in time to see people running up the down escalator. Physics had the best of them and the policeman and the top and bottom took them away...

Went in to get a Fridge, saved over $2800 on a brand new Fridge with free delivery, hookup, and installation. Meanwhile there was a line wrapping around the building for the 4am deals (at 9pm...). They had 4 TV's per store at a great price, albeit crappy TV. And hundreds of people. Someone can't do math.

Walked in and out in 30 minutes, $2499 poorer, but with an awesome top of the line fridge being delivered Monday. Talked with another lady who also bought the same fridge. We were both debating between the same 2, both decided on the same one, except mine in stainless steel, hers white. I would hate to be in the electronics section.

5. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Black Friday shopping has to be one of the odder mob behaviors. Who would want to battle overweight high school dropouts for parking and cheap imported plastic products that they don't need paid with money they don't have.

Black Friday is a WalMart marketing scam and it works on the Walmart clientele.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to Best Buy last night around 12:30am to buy a few of my favorite Blu Ray movies, nothing big. It's what I do every year and has become a tradition amongst myself. It's especially funny to see crazy people buying huge things they don't need (and possibly that they can't afford), meanwhile I'm standing in the checkout line with my lowly movies. Hah.

I don't mind the waits in line. It's midnight anyway.

7. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Spoken like a true elitist!

My wife and daughter went to Target and couldn't believe how many people had multiple TVs. They had some special which was $149 for a 32" TV. My wife said that the checkout lines were at least an hour long. They were back in 45 min.

8. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have in the past... got a Sears washer & dryer for 1/3 of what I paid for the set in this house I am in now...

Hmmmm...

Come to think of it... the daughter down the street has those cause I left em there when we got to move back out and into our home again.

I will probably go out tonight... with my son...

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OMG! OMG! OMG! A TV for $149!!!! OMG! I'm typing this as I sit in line at the jammed shopping center freeway exit. I've just got to have it!!! It's cheap!! I must have two!!! I must have three!!! I must have it NOW!!!!

10. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just keep digging ... I think your reputation just went even lower! :sneaky:

11. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I thought your imaginary friend in the FedEx truck getting cut off by Prius's all day long was the PriusChat "low" point or funniest Thanksgiving troll post, depending on one's point of view.

Prii cut-off Trucks? | PriusChat

12. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

13. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let me guess...Zendaya CD's were on sale along with the TV's and Kustom Kitchens at Target?

Free FedEx delivery from your imaginary neighbor who gets cut off by Prius?

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A Glimpse Of The Apocalypse: Walmart Customers Fight Over Phones On Black Friday | TechCrunch

No. I don't bother visiting and waiting a long time out at B&M stores for Black Friday. I think I did that once years ago. I didn't arrive nearly early enough and I don't recall getting the first choices of items I wanted. I don't even recall what I got anymore. Problem is, if you're at one store, you can't be at another for their deals.

These days, there really isn't much of anything on sale that I really want and want to wait in line for. If some place had quality 1000+ watt inverters (esp. pure sine wave) for a bargain price, I'd want that. I skimmed a bunch of ads last night and didn't see any.

15. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    black friday brick and morter shopping way off

17. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man call it whatever bro. I always find myself holding a video camera watching and recording these events. Black Friday baseball bash! :eek:

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dateline Nov 30, 2013.

6 years ago, before so much Black Friday shopping had moved to other days, or to on-line methods.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanksgiving spirit bro. ;)

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At some level, I am not a shopper. within the last 5 years I bought one item in a store, a refrigerator. The wife wanted to spend locally.

I buy off Amazon, eBay, and Newegg a lot. In 1988 I moved to Elko NV to work at a 'nearby' gold mine. 290 miles to SLC, 290 Miles to Reno, 280 miles to Boise on a road that was not all paved. 420 miles to Vegas. I did quite a lot of shopping mail order and online as Elko did not have a Walmart, did not have a Sears, did not have a K-Mart, etc. (It had a JC Penny) So it was a 4 hour drive each way to by in a store. (actually 5 hours one way and 3 hours the other due to time zones)

So yes, I have placed over 150 orders on Amazon in 2019, I spent over $100,000 on eBay one year*, and Newegg was a favorite until I retired as a Computer Guru.

But I buy what I need, not based on sales.

* the Dot com bust was in full swing, I bought a server room: 2 Sun Ultra 4000s for Production and a Ultra 3000 for development

8 400 Mhz CPUs, 8 gig of RAM. 36 9 gig SCSI drives via fibre channel with 24 meg of NVRAM to speed up Disk I/O. Not bad for 2000.