1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you going to be cut off by the DNSChanger virus on July 9?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday - Yahoo! News
    DNSChanger posts on CNET
    PSA: Thousands of DNSChanger malware victims could be knocked offline next week | The Verge
    July 9 could be 'Internet doomsday' for some (so check your PC or Mac) - Technolog on msnbc.com
    FBI — International Cyber Ring That Infected Millions of Computers Dismantled

I wouldn't be surprised if we all hear of a friend, acquaintance or family member that "loses" their net access on Monday due to this.

So many computer users are clueless and have also fallen prey to scareware/fake anti-virus and fake anti-malware apps. Unless ISPs redirect DNS requests to the formerly infected servers to known clean/good DNSes, their support staff is going to be SLAMMED on Monday...

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me do my usual test for viruses.

I look at the upper left of my screen. I see there's a little Apple icon. I then am secure that no, I do not have this virus.

TonyPSchaefer and finman like this.
  3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If somebody with infected machine was connected to your home Wi-Fi, the router settings could have been changed without you knowing, and that has nothing to do with your apple logo.
    Hope you are not affected.

- Alex

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    xpcman likes this.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Considering the only person on my password-protected Wifi is me (and yes, I do check every once in awhile to make sure that's the case, especially when the network is being slow), I doubt if that happened.

Nope, it didn't happen.

Yes, I realize it's possible for a Mac to get a virus. I also realize it's possible for Rush Limbaugh to dance in a tutu on live national television. Just because they're possible, I'm not worried about either of them happening.

alekska likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Google-Search Appliance box that is running as a router actively monitors all connections and traffic live. It automatically blocks access and denies silly requests. It also sounds like a jet engine!

It would be pretty simple to instead of just switch off both DNS machines to just forward all DNS requests to the FBI page stating your DNS is wrong. Use the $_SERVER IP of the person to determine which ISP they are on, and give them a list of the correct DNS servers to use for their region and ISP. This of course assumes they would even know how to update their routers' info or override their native OS's DNS settings. Both unlikely.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would almost say this is one big hoax virus

-Htc Tapatalk ( sorry for auto spell correct )

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DNS Changer inspection page
    Good news:
    Your DNS settings appear to be ok. Your computer or router is most probably not infected with DNS changer malware.
    No further action is required.

How about that!
    My $200 HP netbook continues to be as MALWARE free as the $1,000 Mac products!! :)

I get to save money....use a free OS....AND be smart enough to drive my own 'puter all at the same time!!! I'm looking to break into the tablet world soon, and the new Google box seems to meet my needs in that realm as well.
    Great OS (also Linux based, IIRC)...
    90-percent as 'purty' as Mac product.
    30-percent of the cost. :)

Actually....I'm a pretty big fan of Mac products. There can be no doubt that they've fundamentally transformed the mobile computing industry. All I have to do is wait a few months for trickle down technology to reach the great unwashed masses that don't have to have the latest-greatest-purtiest hardware.
    As JFK once put it (about trickle-down economics, IIRC)
    "A rising tide lifts all boats..."

All kidding aside....if you're wondering if you're infected by the DNSChanger virus, and yes Virginia, Mac weenies can be affected by this too, here's another link to verify that you're in the clear:
    FBI — Check to See if Your Computer is Using Rogue DNS

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You talking about the Nexus 7 tablet?
    Yeah, pretty sweet indeed.... quad core processor, multi-touch Corning glass, GPS, accelerometer, magnetic compas, front camera, Bluetooth, 9 hr battery life, etc..
    The major knock against it so far is it's lack of SD cardslot. Well, not to worry- the good folks over at XDA have already rooted it and have confirmed that the tablets micro USB port does indeed support OTG-USB so you will be able to use that USB port for file transfer to and from the tablet with your current USB flash drives connected to the tablet with a $2 Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter (Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories).

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Yeah...that's the one.
    I'm a working class guy, and so I don't have enough disposable income to go run out and buy the latest "cute-ware" that comes out every 6 months or so. I have a Harley, and so I've already checked the "buy an overpriced product because of brand cachet" block on my bucket list.
    I came close to a Samsung G2 in a 7" format, but 350 bones for a cute little toy was out of my depth band. The Nexus 7 has a camera, and as you pointed out, the lack of an SD card-slot is easily overcome.
    At $200, it's as cheap as a Fire, and almost as capable as a "real" i-thingy----without all of the Outer Limits inspired - "There is nothing wrong with your "i-thing". Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission..." aspects of Mac ownership.

As far as the DNSChanger malware...hey. It's not like nobody warned us about it.
    Malware and viruses are part of the internet landscape.
    High quality protection is free, and if you get zapped, well....I'm not sure that I want you stumbling around on the internet (with me) anyway... ;)

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info, I ordered one last week. I had to cogitate about it awhile because of the lack of an SD slot (who do they think they are, iPad?). I decided I could live without the SD slot and hoped there would be a work around soon. I did spend the extra $50 for the $250 16GB version.

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Prius101

Prius101 Paid off Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anybody hear about anybody being turned off? (Obviously the ones affected wouldn't be mentioning it online!)

16. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Biggest hoax ever.
    Even got the FBI to believe it

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  18. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If did something different that may have similar protection - I installed Linux on my old desktop for the 1st time....it it may run faster than my notebook (my main tool) with a faster CPU, twice the RAM (8GB), tuned with Win 7.

Stev0 likes this.
  19. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Never fear that some don't understand Mac. I fought the conversion to Apple for a long time, myself. Just as some will talk about our Prius. They will one day see the light. Not everyone can afford to purchase the finest machines nor do they see the value.

None of the Macs in my home were besieged by this virus. Nor has any other virus befell them. There are two Macs in particular that I do worry about getting hit with virus. That would be because both also have Windows 7 upon their drives.

iPad ? HD

20. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a smart thing to do
    This also effect and there are tons of Apple virusses around
    But then again how smart is it to by a pc ( apple ) Because they look nice.........