1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Argh, greasy handprints.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChapmanF, May 20, 2016.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I think they came from the Firestone guys, but it's not like I took 'before' pictures of my headliner and A-pillar trim to be able to prove it. I took it in there to sign up for their lifetime alignment checking arrangement (learned about from Bob Wilson!), and it looks like they climbed in and out of the car by grabbing the driver-side grab handle with one hand (four greasy finger outlines on the headliner), and the A pillar with the other.

Of course both the headliner and the A pillar trim are this fuzzy stuff that I'm not guessing will be easy to lift grease stains out of.

Anybody have any tips?

Thanks,
    -Chap

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whatever you do, don't try scrubbing it with a brush. Been there, done that. Leave's a nasty scar to say the least.

If I had to do it again, I would try a foam cleaner and a micro fiber cloth and attempt to blot the stain's up rather than scrubbing and or rubbing.

I usually use Tuff Stuff, but had bad luck trying to remove a mud stain from the headliner. Probably not as bad as grease, but I think you will get my drift. :oops:

3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    dawn dishwasher detergent/
    works for me/
    you don't want to soak everything, just a little bit on a slightly wet rag//

4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What about the screen on the display. looks awful.

5. MDNHW11

MDNHW11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Certain types of brake cleaner work very well. Test first in an inconspicuous place.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Was picking up a new 16 model 4, it of course needed to go back in the shop to get "re-calibrated", came back to me, grease here and there and everywhere, waiting for the toyota questions about my buying experience, I have two words "Insanely Unprofessional"

7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dawn in warm water and soft cloth and rinse should remove it. Dry, then wax to protect afterwards. (y)

8. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oxy foam. Apply and lift dirt off with another towel. I merely tried one area to see what all the fuss was about and straight away realized even wiping the headliner causes issues in the grain of the material.

LG-H901 ?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have to say I've never thought of waxing a fuzzy headliner. Wouldn't that give it the sort of James Dean slicked back look?

-Chap

10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're right, not a wax, but I mean a fabric protectant like Scotchguard.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you try contacting the place? Maybe they would spring for an interior detailing service?

The manager might even appreciate the call; if they're on the ball they'll want to hear about negative experiences, remedy the problems.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately IMO the cloth trim in The Prius is not the most durable. It's frustratingly thin.
    So I would agree with trying Dawn...and using the gently blot method.
    A wet/dry shop vac, that might allow you to blot, and vacuum straight out, might be helpful.
    But I would also not recommend heavy scrubbing.

If it was grease, oil, dirt...you might have better luck with Dawn than you think. It should be cleanable.

Pretty unprofessional of the Firestone tech.
    You could complain, and they might be willing to accept responsibility and do "something".
    BUT...I think I'd try to fix it myself first, as I wouldn't necessarily trust what they might try to do. Too strong a chemical or too aggressive an approach and you can make it worse.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's kind of where my thinking ends up, too.

Plus I've always been cursed with this sort of oversized sense of fairness, where unless I can be absolutely positive those spots weren't there before that appointment (even though I'm pretty darned sure), there'd be limits on how much stink I'd be comfortable making....

-Chap

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Chap,

IF you do DIY, remember don't rub or scrub. Blot ONLY. Otherwise there will be a scar.

Good luck!

15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    THIS.

If someone did that to my car, I'd demand they have the stains removed by a professional cleaner at their cost or I'd see them in court.

Heck, I've blacklisted a state inspection center because of how much a mess they made while inspecting my car (and worse).

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I've ended up blotting with white napkins soaked in isopropanol and soda water.

Unexpectedly, the front pillar trim (which seems, if anything, even fuzzier than the headliner) came really clean within my first two passes.

That left just the headliner, which I'm taking a break on for now. It's definitely a lot better ... you have to look closely to see that I'm not done yet.

Had I had some 'before' pictures to prove it was those guys' doing, I'd have made more of a scene. Note to self ... lots of pictures next time before any kind of service appointment. I hate having to think that way.

I probably will stop in and show the manager my before-cleanup photos just so he knows it happened.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did not work any more on the headliner today ... put down grass seed instead (no, not in the car).

Headliner might not be perfect but a whole lot better. Pillar trim came out pretty much perfect. I hope I never have to do that again.

-Chap

head_schm.jpg
    head_rein.jpg

apil_schm.jpg apil_rein.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.