1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ATF change needs computer monitoring of transaxle temperature?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AllenZ, Sep 25, 2014.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I just went to the dealer to buy ATF fluid for my 2010. They said the Gen III is different from II, it needs to change the fluid at certain transaxle temperature, so DIY is not recommended. They also said if you DIY, there is a chance that some air will be trapped into the transaxle, causing underfill.

Have you heard anything about that?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Totally untrue. Maybe there's another car in Toyota's line up needing this (hopefully), but not the Prius. This is an excerpt from the Repair Manual. Try another dealership, if that's practical?

3. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Allen: I would go a little further than Mendel: Run from the first dealer and make SURE you find a different dealer...........total BS

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had they same thing happen. I told them there wrong, and they said they were trying to help me and prevent damage to my car cause I didn't know. I told them I had the Toyota repair manuals and knew what I was doing. Once they knew I have seen the manuals they said o ok. Well get you the fluid and washers.

5. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have an exact copy of this document in my hand, it does not address ''temperature of ATF'' anywhere. This is showing ''LAST MODIFIED:9-3-2014' DOC ID :RM00000419L01HX. This was printed off for me by ''Stevinson's Toyota'' in Lakewood, Co while getting my car serviced while on vacation. He also said they recommend to all their customers in the area to change the ATF every 60,0000, I will change G/F's at 52,000 this week-end,, and mine also at 10,500. Several members here have changed ATF at 10,000---15,000 and reported that it was fairly dirty.

6. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ironically, they said Gen II is OK to DIY :)

Also, I was surprised that they can NEGOTIATE price on the ATF fluid. They initially said $9+/qt, but finally agreed to sell at $6.50. I stocked a case of 8.
    The trick is, don't go there just buy, call them asking for a quote first. Call a couple of dealers, and you know the price is very different.