1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Audio advice for 2013 prius 2 audio upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by primal_G, Oct 4, 2014.

1. primal_G

primal_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi all, i just picked up a 2013 Prius 2 today and I'm trying to plan a new audio system but i'm relatively inexperienced in car audio, I want to keep the stock HU. Right now i'm thinking of picking up an alpine mrx-f35 amplifier and replacing the front speakers with infinity 9632cf speakers in the front and maybe some infinity 6032cf in the back. I also want to try and put a shallow mount sub and amp in the space under the trunk above the spare. Can the stock battery handle two amps? Any advice on a shallow sub? I'm talking $120 or under, nothing incredible

2. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no real reason to upgrade rear speakers, and even less reason if adding a sub and/or on a budget. That Alpine amp could be used to run fronts and sub meaning less demand on your electrics and more $$ in your wallet.

3. primal_G

primal_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the advice, do you think the 125 bridged watts at 4 ohms would be enough work decently with a kenwood xw1200f with 350rms peak single coil 4ohm? also has anyone actually shown steps to running the new speaker wires through the door after adding an amp?

4. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    just curious why you chose this alpine amp?

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Regardless what equipment you choose, I have run my 900W D amp for almost 4 years with faults. Will check the fuse size later.

#5 frodoz737, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. primal_G

primal_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i wanted 4 channels for speakers and one bridged for an amp, i trust alpine and its not very expensive on amazon, I'm also interested in trying a class d amp

7. BillyBuerger

BillyBuerger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a similar setup to what you are talking. Alpine MRX-V70 5-channel amp in the hidden compartment alongside a Pioneer TS-SW3001S4 12" shallow mount sub. Currently just have a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.9i in the front doors but have plans to add rear speakers at some point. Mostly just so anyone in the back isn't getting just the thump of the sub with the front speakers being blocked for them. It's working great and I've very happy with it. I don't see any reason why the two amps would be any different really than one 5-channel amp. Other than having the space to mount both of them and the sub. My single small amp plus sub take up the entire space.

I've taken some pictures of what I needed to do to run new wires to the doors but I haven't finished all of my install and haven't taken the time to write it all up. It's been over a year now and who knows when I'll actually be done. :) I really should write it up and just update it when/if I do finish.

primal_G likes this.