1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-braking when turning into a slippery corner?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by armoredsaint, Mar 6, 2013.

1. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's kind of weird, when I turn into a corner that is packed with snow - my traction control light kicks on like it does, but it feels like the brakes are being applied.

Anyone else experience this?

eta: on a side note, when i am fully stopped i press the brake pedal further and it beeps and the traction control light turns on - is this a secondary braking feature?

2. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yes, the brakes are being applied.

When you push the brakes harder, you are probably activating the "Hill Start" function. The Prius tells you that this is on by beeping and turning on the traction control light (in a situation where it could not be traction control). Using the same light for both functions was not a great idea as it has confused an awful lot of people.

If a car just has a standard differential and no traction control, then when either drive wheel completely loses traction and spins freely, the differential also spins (slips), no power is delivered to the other wheel, and motive power is lost.

"Traction control" works by sensing when a drive wheel spins and braking that wheel enough that it no longer spins freely and some power continues to be delivered.

Another way to avoid loss of traction when one wheel slips is to provide a limited slip differential.

armoredsaint likes this.
  3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is the VSC activation to keep your car from sliding sideways by applying the brakes to each wheel independently.

armoredsaint likes this.
  4. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks to you both +2 likes:D