1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto climate control stuck in recirculation mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jbpersmail, Jun 16, 2014.

1. jbpersmail

jbpersmail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    had the car for a few years now, and AC worked great under auto mode where it would go into recirculation mode first if needed and then return to fresh air mode. it also return to fresh air mode after car is powered off.

lately it always goes into recirculation mode and will not automatically switch to fresh air anymore. even after the temp is cool enough that the system switches from blowing air using the vents on the dash onto my face and chest to blowing air using the vents under the dash onto my legs, it still wants to use recirculated air.

I can still manually switch to fresh air. Any ideas?

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You need some confirmation from other owners of the same model.
    I do not remember EVER having a car that will automatically change from fresh to recirc. or vice-versa, including my present C.
    The one exception is turning on defrost which also turns off recirc.

3. jbpersmail

jbpersmail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am very sure that is how my gen3 worked for the last 3 yrs. When the AC is first turned on, if the cabin/outside is too hot relative to the temp I set on the AC, it generally turns on the recirculation mode to speed up cabin cooling, then after sometime it will switch to fresh air mode. I thought all cars with automatic climate control does that. At any rate, below is a link from a Gen2 owner who seems to confirm his Gen2 does exactly the same - although he doesn't seem to like it but I do - and I am not sure why it stopped working on my car. Recirculate/Fresh Air Behavior | PriusChat

another person with similar view want to disable automatic switching between recirc and outside air mode | PriusChat

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just to add a small note.......
    After sitting out in 90 F sun for very long, the temp inside the car can reach 140 or more.
    It will cool slightly quicker if the intake air is from the outside (90) than from inside (140).......for the first few minutes.
    It also helps to have a window cracked open a bit.......or even better the sunroof if you have one to help exhaust that super-heated air.

NR427 likes this.
  5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1

Leaving the door open a few seconds lets a lot of heat out. Also, opening all windows for a minute (even just halfway) after starting the car helps the AC a lot.

ibmoses likes this.
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You do not say where you reside or what your current temperatures are. That would help.

My 2010 stays in Recirc mode in Auto until the cabin temp gets almost to temp setpoint. With the temps in the 90's mine never comes out of Recirc mode even with a 25 mile commute. As Easy Rider says above, after sitting in the sun all day at work and inside cabin temps reaching 115 to 120F, the cabin temp only gets down to about 78F by the time I get home. That is with heat shields, windows cracked open a little and riding a couple of miles with windows open to let the heat escape.

I want mine to stay in Recirc mode in order to cool the cabin temp down quicker. If you go to outside vent you are pulling in hot outside air that needs to be cooled which takes longer. Even in Recirc mode you are still pulling in a small amount of outside air.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It seems you didn't fully grasp the point.
    For several minutes after you first start the car, the inside air is HOTTER than the outside air is.
    You get better performance at first by NOT having it on recirc.
    That also helps exhaust the super-heated air faster.
    THEN after a few minutes, close the windows and switch to recirc.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did fully grasp the point, thank you.

I have found that by monitoring the cabin temp that when I have it on Recirc an ride with windows down, then close windows that the Cabin temp will reduce faster.

Give it a try.

9. jbpersmail

jbpersmail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in CA has I haven't moved since I got the car, (summer) weather hasn't changes in terms of temperature. I would expect the car to behave the same, but it is not anymore. Thanks for all your input on how to compensate for this malfunction. I am going to ask the dealer next time I am in for my oil change. Having to hit the button to go into fresh air mode is clearly a malfunction as far as I am concerned since the car used to control that automatically for the last 3.5 years, and it only started to happen in the last 3 weeks. thanks again.

10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    By that do you mean having the windows all open all the way......or nearly so ??

If I am in a position to have all the windows open, I don't worry about whether it is on recirc. or not........until AFTER I close the windows.

11. Dave14Prius

Dave14Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you in ECO mode? If so, that is the way it is supposed to work.

From another post on this site.......

9. ECO MODE CONTROL

(a) Under the control of eco mode, the A/C amplifier restricts the air conditioning system performance under specified conditions, thus improving fuel economy.

(b) Eco mode control is activated when the ECO MODE switch provided inside the integration control and panel sub-assembly is pressed, and then restricts the air conditioning system performance as described below.

#1 Inside/outside Air Switch Control: Automatically switches the air inlet port to internal air circulation mode when the outside air temperature is equal to or higher than a predetermined temperature and reduces the power consumption.

#2 Blower Level Control: Sets the blower level in AUTO mode lower than normal, and suppresses the power consumption. (

#3 PTC Heater Control: Stops the operation of PTC heater assembly and suppresses the power consumption.

#4 Heating Restriction Control: Changes the air outlet temperature by turning the ECO MODE switch on and off during heating and increases the amount of engine-off time when the ECO MODE switch is in the on state, thus improving fuel economy.

#5 Compressor Speed Restriction Control: Restricts the maximum speed during cooling and reduces the power consumption.
    =============

hope this helps

Dave

jbpersmail likes this.
  12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Windows all of the way open to expel the hot air quickly. Yes with the windows wide open it does not matter with Recirc or not.

I just leave it in Auto, which is in Recirc, leave the windows all of the way down until the cabin begins to cools down and I start feeling cool air from the AC vents. Then I close windows.

13. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW, it appears to me that the ECO mode and Auto AC puts it in Recirc mode whenever the outside temp is HIGHER than the set temp on the AC.

It doesn't appear to measure internal temps for this purpose. If outside is higher than set temp, it's on recirc. If outside is lower than set temp, it's on outside air.

I'll pay closer attention, but this is what I've noticed. It's why I start the car with my driver door open, lower the windows half-way, and leave them open for a minute after I start driving off. By then, the excessive internal temps are equalized with outside air and I can close the window and let the AC do what it wants.

14. jbpersmail

jbpersmail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Dave14Prius. That was it. Not sure who turned on ECO mode and I didn't even notice. As soon I turned it off, climate control is back to normal. Thanks

15. Dave14Prius

Dave14Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are welcome. Glad it worked for you.