1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-on headlights for v2 and v3

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by mudmanrv, Dec 2, 2012.

1. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I installed my OEM fog light kit as seen in the other thread here...and discovered how toget the auto-on headlights. Not DRL but the auto-on lights. the wire is in the harness and the photocell is on the dash, it's just that the lights switch only has 3 positions instead of 4....as on the v5. So, to do this... you can make it permanent or add a switch to the switch bay, wire one side of the switch to ground. remove the steering column lower cover and tap into the switch harness - pin 19, green wire. when this is grounded, the auto on feature is active and will override the headlamp switch. it uses the photocell on the dash, when the ambient light is low enough, the dash dims, and the head and tale lights come on.

TheTewks and Bob-blehead like this.
  2. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm kind of suprised no one replied to this ... thought more of you would like to have the auto-on headlights...
    I know there were a lot looking for the DRL ... if I find out anything there... will post as well.

C.E. Saunders likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're lucky the wire from the sensor to the ECU is there. The gen3 hatchback guys need to install a wire from the sensor to the ecu harness as well.

I'm going to install a wiring harness with some relays and fuses to get DRL functions at 50% power on the high beams, like other Toyota vehicles in our Prius hatchback.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since I never DON'T want other drivers to see me, I always have my headlights on. (you never need to turn them off, they go out automatically. It is owner selectable: 0 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds)

As such, I have no interest in Auto On.

Bob-blehead likes this.
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The thing that bugs me most about leaving headlights on is the display dims when the headlights are on, and the light sensor on the dash isn't active to compensate for the display brightness. At least the gen3 hatchback is this way.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you know that the display will still go to full brightness if you push the dimmer dial past the first stop until it clicks. But the light sensor still isn't active. At least that was how my 2010 worked, the 2012 does make some use of the sensor.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On my v3, the display remains bright until early twilight when it dims.
    On my Gen 2, you can push the dial to full bright, but need to adjust it after dark.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It definitely sounds like the dashboard light sensor is compensating for the display brightness on the v.

10. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don't like how it beeps when you leave the lights on, even if they are set to shut off after 30 seconds... I really liked how my Gen II automatically turns the lights off when you open the driver door.

And leaving the lights on during the day does require turning up the display brightness or pressing "Day Mode" in the display settings. I find it quicker and easier just to turn the nob, but it's annoying either way.

11. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My v5 turns on the headlights sooner than it dims the interior display. It's not
    simultaneous.

12. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you set the auto-off delay to zero, the lights turn off as soon as you open the door with no beeping.

Soylent, JimboPalmer and Chazz8 like this.
  13. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Oh awesome. I thought the zero meant they would never turn off. Thank you!

14. suland

suland Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wouldn't it be better if we just replace the whole light switch with the one that has the AUTO from the dealer? All the wires are connected, right? If so - I am going to do that. I don't care much for DRL, as I can just put the driving LED lights through the ignition.

allroadusa and Soylent like this.
  15. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That's what I was thinking... The light sensor is already there. It probably just needs that switch

16. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I thought so as well.... my discovery was that the wiring is there ... it's just that the switch is 3 position instead of 4....so ... I priced a switch from my local dealer.... they came up with two parts, but couldn't pinpoint which was which.

they started at $135 and went up ... I might add a small toggle to an open switch bay by the fog lights, and dash dimmer...then spend the 135 on the factory stick.

17. Soylent

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The other problem may be that it doesnt enable the dimmed, lower voltage daytime lights or use the light sensor. I wonder if the switch is really the only component required...

18. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I hooked up my foglight kit - I pulled the wiring diagram that I had access to. Without going in too deep .... I'll try to explain a few certain things...

1) On the V2 (that's what I own, not sure about the v3) ... There is a relay slot in the fuse panel for DRL daytime running lamps - however, there are no terminals in the box - as there is a harness missing...for it.

2) The light sensor - in the case of the headlights - runs the dash lights dimming and the auto-on headlight feature...

3) as with most all new automotive products - everything is powered... it's the ground that is switched. they do this to use smaller switching components - since the current in the wire is used up by the load before it reaches the switch.

They also do weird things with control modules. for example - when i hooked up my fog lights, I wanted them to be "Armed" with the parking lights, not headlights... so I could run just fog and marker lights ... the wire source for the parking lights is a 5v computer signal....
    the wire for the headlight feed - is actually a ground. which is why they tie the foglight relay to it.
    If I were to tie to the parking light wire - i would have a 12v feed coming from the fog light (heading to ground) feeding into a 5v output of the body control module ... which would be a very bad thing.

I temporarily wired the wire i mentioned above in the op for auto-headlights to ground ... per the wire diagram i was looking at... and low and behold - if i cover up the photo sensor... the headlights and tailights come on...and the dash dims....when i take my hand off - they shut off.

so for the auto headlight feature - the wire is there ... .but the headlight switch stem - doesn't have the position necessary to switch it. on the v2 it's a 3 position switch off/park/headlight ... on a v5 its off/park/headlight/auto ...
    or a 4 position switch. when i priced that switch - the dealer couldn't tell which was which but listed 2 and they were both around 135-150 bucks.

i could either hard wire it, or put a mini toggle in one of the switch bays next to my fog light switch to allow arm/disarm (for drive-in as an example) ... a lot cheaper than i could buy the factory stick.

I personally like the auto-on headlights... as I'm one of those that tends to get lights flash, for forgetting to turn them on - since I usually have the parking lights on at dusk.... not full headlights. and in my old car - it was nice because i couldn't foget to turn them off. with the prius - opening the door disconnects the HV batt circuit breaker... so it's not an issue leaving them on. -- just turning them on.

TheTewks likes this.
  19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What I'd like to see is a wiring diagram and picture instructions that enables both the auto lights feature and DRLs with the five's stalk switch.Wife's Avalon has the auto feature and I love it, she doesn't. But what I really want is LED DRLs for safety.

I bought a three and added leather and am now kicking myself for not getting a five but even then I'd be missing the DRLs.

20. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So, just to be clear, if I find the correct 4 position switch to replace my 3 position switch (I have a v Three with the off/park/headlight switch), then all I have to do is change out the switches and auto-on headlights should work without doing anything with the wiring? The only thing missing is that the 3 position switch doesn't turn to that 4th position for the auto-on feature? Am I understanding you correctly?

TheTewks likes this.