1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Average Miles per Tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bbridgewater, Feb 5, 2004.

1. bbridgewater

bbridgewater New Member

This may be a dumb question since everyone seems to be getting somewhat varied mileage and filling up with sometimes just a few gallons, but has anyone kept track of how many miles you're getting per tank of gas? Anywhere close to the published 500? or is it more like 300 as in a typical car?

Beth

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've brought this up w/ the dealer - they're still giving me the bladder BS.

I explained that I have an '02 w/ a very similar designed tank and I can easily get much better "range".

-Rick

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I 'pushed' to just over the 400 mile mark (413 to be exact) with my last tank--that was with the last bar flashing for about 45 miles! I was able to add 9.4 gallons to the tank at fill-up (and that was with the nozzle mostly pulled out and nursing an extra 1/3 gallon).

Thus, the 'push' was more my psyche than the Prius' limits. I'd feel very safe going 400 miles when getting near my current average 44 mpg, 450 should be safe, but I just can't watch that thing flash for 100 miles! I suspect 500 is realistic in the summer when the bladder should hold more volume and mpg should improve significantly.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since this topic is rapidly evolving into a new misconception, I've come up with a canned response that (hopefully) addresses what the actual situation is fairly well. And since I'll end up using it over and over again to keep the misconception from getting out of hand, I'd obviously like some feedback on it...

There are a number of people that believe the hybrid system will deliver increased travel distance. That simply isn't true. Range is actually similar to what many people traditionally get.

That gauge was setup to provide indication of fuel-level for 9 gallons of non-emergency use. You drive until the "Add Fuel" message is displayed, then refill the tank. That provides an expectation, based on the MPG shown on the Multi-Display, of roughly:

40 MPG = 360 miles
    41 MPG = 369 miles
    42 MPG = 378 miles
    43 MPG = 387 miles
    44 MPG = 396 miles
    45 MPG = 405 miles
    46 MPG = 414 miles
    47 MPG = 423 miles
    48 MPG = 432 miles
    49 MPG = 441 miles
    50 MPG = 450 miles
    51 MPG = 459 miles
    52 MPG = 468 miles
    53 MPG = 477 miles
    54 MPG = 486 miles
    55 MPG = 495 miles

So basically, you are getting distance potential comparable to that of a traditional gasoline-powered automatic-transmission midsize car.

Expecting more has become a new misconception, due to the misleading EPA estimates for MPG. Though, you really do have reserve capacity beyond the 9 gallons. But it varies based on temperature (due to the bladder inside, used for evaporative emission reduction) and how gas is physically pumped into the tank. So don't plan on routinely using it. "Think Nine and You'll Be Fine."

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could provide the source for that information John? Albeit the bladder capacity changes and that must be accounted for, but if the capacity changes then the 'add fuel' will also indicate at a different point (i.e. more than or less than your quoted 9 gallons) when it shrinks or expands beyond the calibrated point. Also, it seems quite odd that we'd see a flashing bar with no estimation of remaining capacity at what should be 1/4 tank volume.

I traditionally fill my tank at or just barely below the 1/4 tank mark, so a suggestion to fill at that point is welcome, but I also want a visual (not some estimate I'm required to calculate) estimate of actual usable fuel remaining to help me determine when I really need to fill the tank in those occasional situations where it is desireable to go past the 1/4 tank mark. My expedition has a good old mechanical guage (could be digital and it wouldn't make any difference). It indicates when the tank is 1/4 full. When the car is actually LOW on fuel and it is important that I fuel up very soon or risk running out an additional 'low fuel' light comes on. I realize the bladder thing complicates the issue, but I think it's incumbant on Toyota to find a work around for this problem--at least a second indicator based on weight of fuel, a splash sensor, or something that surely the geniouses that designed something this advanced could come up with.

I realize you're the A-#1 cheerleader for the Prius, but the misconception is NOT exclusively due to misleading EPA estimates. It's also due to Toyota's exploitation of those misleading estimates in their advertising as well as in their dealer/salesman training. People didn't just make up these numbers and facts. Look at how the Highlander's range is being touted already and we don't even have EPA numbers yet!! This is Marketing by Toyota that's led to these misconceptions, the EPA stuff is the skapegoat.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > I also want a visual (not some estimate I'm required to calculate) estimate of actual usable fuel remaining

You have one, the gauge itself.

But rather than refueling at the 1/4 mark, you wait until it begins to flash.

Reserve fuel is still available, just like it was with your traditional vehicle. The only actual difference is 1/4 now reads as a flashing block, a simple cosmetic change making the indication of when to refuel easier to notice.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to get patronizing...did you read the rest of what I wrote or what I wrote at the top of the thread? When the last bar flashes on my car I can only get a MAX of 8.3 gallons...that's almost a THIRD of the tank left and there is no visual means of determining how much fuel is left, none--zilch--zero. At that point one must resort to calculating with no visual feedback. I've personally owned 8 different cars in my life and not a one of them required me to do math, calculations or rely on faith to determine if I could continue to drive or needed to fill immediately.

I don't accept that they couldn't calibrate some system that suggested adding fill at approximately 1/4 tank but then gave a continuing visual estimate of how far you could go with a secondary alert when you were reaching a critical low level. Basicly, I want 2 bars on the scale beyond the point that the last current bar begins flashing so I know, when there's one and only one bar left on the guage then I need to fill immediately or risk running out.

Currently when that last bar flashes one could easily have another 100 miles and likely as much as 200 miles to go. The destinations I drive to are rarely more than 100 miles away and thus a guage I could rely on would allow me to continue to my destination without an unnecessary stop along the way. I'm just saying that the current margine of safety, IMO, is too conservative. By your arguement, if the bar started flashing at 1/2 tank that would be the point to fill.

I realize that there are technical barriers making implementation of an accurate guage difficult, but I don't accept that they can't be overcome. And I don't think I'm asking too much for that to be implemented.

8. bbridgewater

bbridgewater New Member

So can I make the assumption that when my Prius gets here, I'll still be buying gas at about the same time interval that I do now with my '97 Explorer? Albeit I'll be putting 9 gallons vs. 17 in the tank...

Assuming I commute my regular distance to work and take no out-of-town trips, I fill up about once a week. And assuming the current Tulsa gas price of about $1.46 per gallon doesn't change (ha!), then at 17 gallons a week for 52 weeks, it would cost $1290.64 annually for fuel in my Explorer. At the same travel pattern and conditions, the annual Prius fuel cost would be $683.28 - roughly half that of the Explorer.

Sigh...I've gone and talked myself into continuing this blasted wait. Maybe they'll have that bladder infection problem cleared up by the time I get mine....

Beth

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :lol:

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > I can only get a MAX of 8.3 gallons

If you are only getting 42 MPG, that provides a range of 350 miles.

So I ask the same question I did on the other group: "Why do you feel Prius should deliver a refill distance greater than a traditional vehicle?"

I got 50 MPG in my classic Prius throughout last summer. So it is quite realistic to expect at least that with my 2004. Your 8.3 gallons would provide 415 miles. Why is that considered bad? My Taurus could only travel 300 miles before draining the tank completely drive.

And of course, if you achieve mid 50's like some of the southern owners are currently reporting, you'll get darn close to that 500 mile range.

Please provide a reason for wanting more and we'll pick up the discussion from there (since everything else has already been hashed out on Yahoo).

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reason #1--Toyota Promised it to us in their ads and people expected that prior to purchase
    Reason #2--Because the vehicle is capable of delivering it but we're restricted from taking advantage of that solely because of a fuel guage that makes it impossible to know how far you can actually, safely go
    Reason #3--Because the Prius shatters so many other limits and dispels so many other myths and breaks so many other barriers that the ability to go twice the distance (or close to it) is within the ability of the vehicle without going to an extreme of creating an oversized tank.
    Reason #4--Because it would be nice to have and make the vehicle that much better than it already is.

"your it"
    --evan

12. cybele

cybele New Member

There is some evaporation that takes place during refueling, so going perhaps 20% further on a tank means that I can reduce my evaporative refuelling emissions by 20% ... I'd say that's reason enough.

I refuelled over the weekend because I was on my last bar (before it blinked). I didn't know how far I'd gone because when I took my car in for its body work they disconnected the battery and I lost my current tank info. I put in a whopping 4.4 gallons.

I'm used to the car "reserving" a little fuel, in my last car I never put more than 9 gallons into it (it held 11) even when it went below E. But I kinda wanted something a smidge more accurate. But if I had a choice, I'm glad it's conservative.

13. glade

glade New Member

i still think toyota blew it not to add more fuel capacity on the prius. i think the psychological value of being able to travel great (greater than traditional car) distances on a single tank is huge. also, there's the very real value of not having to constantly stop at gas stations. 300-400 miles per tank is simply average, not spectacular. not everyone is concerned about evaporative or other emissions. some people just want to go a long ways (and hopefully do so with only a little bit of fuel). i think the extra weight of 2-6 extra gallons (and the slight reduction in fuel economy that would result from this) would be worth it. i doubt people would care as much about the less-than-advertised fuel economy if the range was markedly better.

14. charlieh

charlieh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's still not clear to me that anyone actually knows how much fuel fits in the '04 tank. If the gauge is simply inaccurate, then driving extra miles beyond the flashing bar would be okay. If the tank/bladder is holding less, then my routine fill ups at 6.5 gallons when the bar starts flashing would be prudent. Imagine this kind of dilemna in a 747 somewhere over the Pacific...

My '03 is consistent, at least, and I routinely go 500 miles on a tank. I am refueling my '04 at around 340-360 because that's when the light starts flashing.

And while it may not be a major issue, the Toyota ads and descriptions of the '04 routinely mentioned a 600 mile crusing range. My mileage is nowhere nearly that good (I get 50-52 REAL MGP out of my '03 and the best I can do in my '04 paying VERY close attention to how I drive is around 50). Not complaining, mind you, just not what I had been led to believe.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > mentioned a 600 mile crusing range

All the advertisements I've even seen for the 2004 said "over 500". 600 is not correct.

Perhaps you mistyped the number.

16. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The furthest (sic) I've gone on one tank of gas is 542 miles. The average per tank for me is 460.36 miles after 25 tanks.

I did run out of gas on one of those -- not the 542 miles -- but I did it on purpose to see how far I could go and what would happen.

As to how much fuel fits in the tank...

On three occassions I have forced the issue and put more than 11 gallons into the tank. The most I've ever put in the tank is 11.575 gallons.

:naughty:

17. glade

glade New Member

just a quick thought for you folks that like to tempt fate and top off your tank after the pump has automatically shut off. when you spill over even a cup of gasoline, you are dramatically increasing your emissions on a sulev car like a prius (that is, relative to the amount a sulev emits, a cup of gasoline wasted and evaporated is huge). so, if you really care about emissions, you might want to reconsider topping your tanks. the small increase in range probably isn't worth it.

18. cybele

cybele New Member

I am totally with you there. And I'm glad you bought it up. I couldn't find any info on the net about how much of our VOC pollution is due to refuelling evaporation, but I can only figure that it amounts to some measurable percentage - and most of that is probably something that can be controlled by careful refuelling. It has been one of my concerns with trying to get more gas in the car and is the reason that I can't put more gas in the tank - I'd rather not have a spill over.

I was very skittish about trying it yesterday so when I filled, I held the pump handle instead of using the auto feature and had it on a trickle and even then only tried once after the auto shut off to get more in. I figured if it didn't want more after the first try, I wasn't going to argue.

But I have to wonder why I've never been able to put more than 7 gallons in my tank, even when it tells me I'm low on gas.

Either the bladder is limiting my capacity to 9 gallons or so (figuring that it beeps the first time when you have a quarter of a tank left) or it's got far more gas in it when it says it's on empty.

For a car that is supposed to have a range of 500 miles, and I'm only getting 240 - that's twice as much refuelling evaporative emissions than I had planned for, without spills. Obviously my range will improve as my mileage does - but even at an optomistic 50 mpg, I'd only get getting 350 miles to the tank.

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm still running on a tank that 'gave back' some gasoline due to over-filling.

This time, I matched the 130-or-so miles that it took to have the first bar on the gas gauge go out on the free tank I got from the dealer. This implies that *they* filled it to the brim and maybe beyond too.

I'm no environmental purist, so if they offer a tank under warranty with no bladder and a seal around the opening that doesn't hide these overfills when using broken fillers, I'm going to get in line to have it installed...

20. dumaiss

dumaiss New Member

According to Toyota, the tank capacity is around 45L (I'll translate the units in Americanese at the end, sorry :D ) in the Canadian Prius. The quoted combined consumption is 4.1L/100Km (according Canadian Resources Ministry tests) but I expect around 5.0L/100Km.

This means that I should expect to travel 900Km from totally full to totally
    dry. That's pretty far from the 600 odd Km (400 miles) you're talking about. 300 Km is like 1.5 to 2 weeks worth of travel in my case.

For me, this means I have to fill up at about the same rate as I did on the old car. I expected that one great advantage of the Prius would be to be able to take advantage of lower fuel rates when they come by. In the Montréal region, gas prices vary greatly (sometimes $ 0.10 CAD / L in a single day). And we don't pay $ 1.50 USD per gal, it's more like $ 0.71 CAD to $ 0.85 CAD per liter. So, yes... I would very much welcome a more precise and less "conservative" fuel gauge.

And it's not that the car cannot deliver a "better than conventional car" range, it's just that we feel unsafe doing so. At worst, what could happen is that people become accustomed to the "early alert" and actually do go out of fuel because they don't know how much more they can travel.

Between you and me, don't you think that Toyota can come up with a solution to this issue? I think it's not super important (I'd like to see disk breaks in the back more than a better fuel gauge for eg.) but I don't think that it's too much to ask for.

PS::
    Americanese units:
    45L = 11.89US Gal. = 9.9 Imp. Gal.
    4.1L/100Km = 57.53Mi / Gal
    5.0L/100Km = 47.07Mi / Gal
    900Km = 559.23Mi
    300Km = 186.41Mi
    $ 0.71 CAD / L = $ 2.69 CAD / US Gal.
    $ 0.85 CAD / L = $ 3.22 CAD / US Gal.
    $ 0.10 CAD / L = $ 0.38 CAD / US Gal.