1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"B" shift position for braking.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Hankth, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hankth

Hankth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've found myself using the B setting for braking a lot. It takes some practice to know just when to shift to B, but after a while it eliminates braking with the brake pedal a lot of the time. Is there any speed at which you should not shift into B? I have done it at highway speeds with no noticeable problem. Also you have to remember to shift back to D at a stop or the gas engine stays on. Love this car!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why? You actually lose some regen potential by using the engine as an air pump. Should only really be used down a long steep hill, early on.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Gently stepping on the brake pedal switches the car to regen mode, with the friction brakes being applied only at very low speeds in normal use (the friction brakes are applied immediately in a panic stop regardless of speed).

Using the brakes also has the advantage of turning on the brake lights so you don't get rear-ended quite as often :)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Use B when you would use L in a 'normal' automatic, almost never.

There is not upper limit to when to us B, as it does not use lower gearing, it just uses the engine as an air pump, so the brake fluid does not boil going down long steep hills. Below 24 MPH, the engine braking is useless, so B is not spinning the engine.

Use B for safety, from the top of long hills, especially when fully loaded. Otherwise, forget you ever had a Gear to confuse other drivers by slowing without brake lights. (at least in my Gen 2, it confuses me as well, you can't go into Cruise Control in B)

What we all want to say is we bought our car for mileage, and B is not a mileage gear, it is a safety gear, for when mileage is not as important as not overheating your friction brakes.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There have been a few icy driving conditions where the another source of non-wheel slowing has been helpful... which is where the design of the shifter itself comes in handy. If you blindly paw it, guess what the system shifts to.

6. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. joeruo

joeruo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone know of a fix so that when you release the B, it will automaticly go back to Drive . I often forget to do so and its a nuisence.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you "release B"? Simply put into "D" or if your parking, "P" or if you shutdown, it will be "P".

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Shifting back to "D" at any time will do the trick.

It's basically just telling the system to use the engine normally, rather than intentionally pumping air to help slow the vehicle. So, it's not like anything is actually shifting.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks John, I know how to get it out of or "release" B mode, I was just wondering how joeruo did it. Perhaps he doesn't know and a quick User Guide read would help.

11. joeruo

joeruo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Guys, i guess i was missunderstood.. I know how to get it out manualy. Just wondring if there was a mod for it to go back to drive by just releasing the b lever