1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Engine Knock and Very Little Power / Using Lots Of Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ErikH, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ErikH

ErikH New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been moving recently and I am/was using my Prius to do this. I'm moving about 1000 lbs of stuff per trip, i know this is more than i should be hauling, and I'm driving through the Appalachian mountains. I have 130,000 miles on my Prius and it has been using about 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles which I thought was high but this last trip I used 7 qts in 2000 miles. Most of the oil was consumed after I got into the mountains on the last trip. At the top of the first big hill I stopped at a rest area and when I started the car back up it was knocking (sounded like a valve knock), as I got back on the interstate the battery ran down very quickly and the car lost most of it's power. I got about 14-15 MPG after that for the next 700 miles. I can't find any info on why the car would do this.
    No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil.

When oil fill cap is removed I am getting a lot of pressure coming out of the hole.

2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    7 quarts in 2000 miles?!?!? Knocking?! :eek: Dear sweet god... I think at that rate, I'd be looking for a hole in the block.

Have you looked underneath the car for leaks? Any telltale blue smoke out of the exhaust? To go through 7 quarts in 2000 miles you'd absolutely have to be seeing either blue smoke or a puddle underneath. Something is definitely NOT right. You need to get that car safely up on ramps and start by doing an underbody inspection. Is the oil filter tight? oil plug leaking? Crack/hole in the block? I'd be looking for oil on the underbody.

After that, a compression test is probably in due order.

3. ErikH

ErikH New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a slight bite of oil residue in the muffler but not enough to drip. It doesn't smoke, at least not bad enough for me to see it from in the car. Some oil under the engine but I attribute that to me spilling oil down the block while trying to fill it on the trip.

Compression test in the morning but I thought I'd check on here tonight.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...sounds like something blew.
    Service in order ASAP nearest Toyota or Prius capable mechanic?
    Probably tow it in to save further damage.
    As far as pressure in the oil, is that when car if off or on?
    Keep in mind bad knocking is really pre-detonation - strong explosion, possible mechanical damage to pistons, valves etc. Going up mountains with loads and stuff that's a good day to try Premium octane gaso but I am not suggesting that would have saved the day.

PS- I will head over the same mountain range tomorrow

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Now all of a sudden she started to knockin'
    And down in the dips she started to rockin'
    I looked in my mirror; oh sweet Jesus
    The cops was after my Hot Rod Prius"

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. You may have the 2nd Prius that I remember losing/burning oil. The other one wasn't anywhere close to your amount. It sounds like you managed to destroy an engine. I hope I'm wrong. The Prius is not a good bootlegging car.

7. ErikH

ErikH New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fact that I can tell you that it will/would run 108 will tell you that I may not have driven this Prius the way it was designed.

I was hoping someone would say, "Oh ya, you just have to change this $20 sensor and it will clear right up!!!"

8. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :confused: :LOL:

Im afraid todays not your day then... and tomorrows not looking good either! lol

9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    sounds like ring/piston damage. might be time to look for a new car or a used motor...