1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad HV Battery, Recently Replaced 12V, Now, not even starting...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kay-Kay, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a recently purchased 2005 Prius- Mileage-150.3k having several lights on the dash: ABS/VSC/Engine Check/ Brakes, etc. See attached screen shot. Initially, I got into the shop and had the codes read out several codes. In all, I was informed the root cause was a bad 12v and bad hybrid batteries. By this time , the car was still moving, though not very smoothly. however, less than a week thereafter, the car couldn't start again.

We decided to replace the 12v first, hoping to get it back to start but it wouldn't. I've checked the fuses in the engine compartment as well as on the steering column- all okay. I've checked battery voltage, it's now at 12.3v. When I try to start, the Ready light would simply flash for 2-3 seconds before going off. I've rechecked battery connections as well as the brake controls by the 12v battery- all well tightened.

My question now is: would the bad HV stop it from getting into a Ready state? Are there other issues that could be wrong with it? How do I go about this? What else do I check?

Attached Files:

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your new battery checks out at 12.3V, that is a sign that it needs charging, and is far from fully charged. Also, make sure all the connections are tight, especially the bolt to the body on the negative lead, which can get loose and rusty.

3. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it was about 12.6 or higher but as I continually tried my hands on different checks/start attempts, it gradually went really down and I had to connect another battery to it-using the jump starting procedure. This charged it up to that 12.3. I guess I'll have to boost up the voltage again to a higher value then. On the battery negative lead connection and bolt to the body of the car, yea, I checked that, its quite tight.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What has likely happened is that you have run down the HV battery (which is the battery that starts the car) to a point that it can no longer spin the MG's to start the ICE. The only way around this is to charge up the battery. This can either be done by Toyota Dealer or contact PC member ericbecky for more info.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you post all the codes from the car?

6. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After replacing the 12V, the following are the codes I pulled using my Innova 3100f OBD 2 scanner: P0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery), P3000 (Battery controller , I guess, not too sure) and B2799 (??) . Perhaps more codes could be pulled using a shop scanner...

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What state do you live in?

8. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible to completely drain the HV yet still have one red bar on the battery indicator? (Please see attached screen shot on post #1)
    (However, they are times that red bar wont show and 'twill all be plain without any battery indicator bar shown-although this would often change back to one bar .)

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try to disconnect the negative terminal on the 12v again, reconnect after 10 seconds. Put the keyfob into the key slot of the car, then try to start it again.

10. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="What state do you live in?"[/QUOTE]

I'm not in the US- in Nigeria although the car was originally owned and used in the US by the previous owner. So, I know my options may then be limited as I cannot call or drive into any of the reputable workshops mentioned here on PC. Nevertheless, required spares (HV, etc) shall however be imported from the US as we do not currently have the hybrid spares readily available even by the toyota shops around here.

11. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JC:
    Just did that- disconnected for about 15 sec and got it back yet no change. "Ready" light still flashed twice and was gone. Still not starting.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well there seems to be an immobilizer problem with the car, it's not detecting the key. Also your HV battery needs to be replace/rebuilt. Parts to fix this problem would not be very difficult to find in the USA, but where you are at, I'm not sure what options you have.

13. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks JC but what's an "Immobilizer Problem"?

Plan right now is to identify the issues as well as the most cost effective/dependable solution providers there in the US and make an order accordingly. So, please feel very free to offer recommendations on required spares and checks.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what's an "Immobilizer Problem"?

Your car's security system is not recognizing your key. So it won't let you start the car.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nigeria -- Wow
    I'll guess the traction battery is run down. I don't know how to recharge and reset it from home. May need to invest in a tech-stream or similar device.

16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder how long the car has been sitting around, first at a compound in the US, whilst waiting to be shipped, sitting on the boat to Nigeria, sitting at customs, sitting again whilst being sold and now the HV battery is flat. Also, is the key fob battery now flat too?

Isn't it a main dealer visit to get the low HV topped up? I would also be curious how the OP jump started the car!

Without the right backup, a Prius can quickly become an expensive paperweight.

17. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hv battery chargers are available. Probably more of a shop tool because a home user would only need to use it once. They work for gen 1 and gen 2 prius.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Put a battery charger on the 12V battery to bring it back up to full charge.
    2. You need to figure out how you are going to purchase a new traction battery assembly.

19. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="JC91006, post: 2018133,

Your car's security system is not recognizing your key. So it won't let you start the car.[/QUOTE]

How would this be? The smart key is still activating the security system- still locking and unlocking the car as its used to. Would it activate the security system and not be functional in starting the car? I may be wrong, just need a bit more clarification.

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After replacing the 12V, the following are the codes I pulled using my Innova 3100f OBD 2 scanner: P0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery), P3000 (Battery controller , I guess, not too sure) and B2799 (??)

Maybe Patrick can help you more with B2799, which is an immobilizer error. The immobilizer will prevent the car from starting.

Right now your major concern is the HV battery, it needs replacement.