1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Hybrid Battery/Independent Mechanic in Northern Virginia? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jonsmilburn, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jonsmilburn

jonsmilburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen this posted before with little or no response. Northern Virginia/Washington DC has one of the highest concentrations of Prius' in the country. I can't believe I can't find a good non dealer shop. My 05 is at the dealer with a bad hybrid battery and they are quoting me $4,100 for a new one. I have seen reconditioned ones and used ones for $400 to $800. Need a recommendation please. Thanks much!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2 people like this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ADVICE MAY BE HAZARDOUS. 200+ VOLTS OF DIRECT CURRENT IS DEADLY AND MUST BE RESPECTED AND APPROACHED WITH CAUTION AND PROPER PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT.

With that in mind, I say fix it yourself. There are numerous posts on here that detail the procedure. All of my research says its usually one or two cells that go bad. I see them on Ebay all the time for about $40 per cell (sometimes cheaper). It will probably require a lot of time and effort on your part but, the potential to save about $3500 (in your case) exists.

You can also order a complete battery from ReInvolt for way less and do it yourself. This will probably save you about $1000.

I don't know what your situation is but if you have a garage and some tools, (and are confident you can observe the safety requirements associated) this may be an option.

This link http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/84017-nhw11-traction-battery-autopsy.html details an autopsy on a gen 1 battery. I know you have a Gen II however, I would bet the process is very similiar. I would also bet these guys would provide advice if you asked them.

I have two Prii with over 100,000 miles and if either have traction battery problems, I intend to fix it myself.

1 person likes this.
  4. jonsmilburn

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the tips fellas. Here's the update. I found a ReInvolt installer in Ashland, VA about 60 miles down the road from me, so I yanked it from the dealer (They got to do my recalls for floor mats and water pump) and had AAA tow it down to Ashland. Hope this works out. I have trust issues with mechanics, especially dealers. I have been using the same mechanic for 27 years, but he doesn't work on hybrids.

It will be good to have a non dealer source reasonably close to the Washington DC area (one of the largest concentrations of Prius' in the country.

I will post the results when I have them. Pics too.

5. jonsmilburn

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 229,000 miles on my 05. Bought it new and it has been from Washington DC to San Diego and back twice. Hope you get as far or farther with yours.

6. Beelzel

Beelzel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Little late into the mix... but I have had great success and no complaints with a place called Stevens Auto clinic, out on RT1 in Alexandria. He has never done me wrong in the various jobs he has performed. Battery replacement/work on a Prius, might have to ask him... but I doubt that he would turn you away.
    And hopefully you avoid the Toyota dealer, wont directly mention names, on RT29 Fairfax city. Worthless, their best attempt at any problem is to disconnect the battery and reset everything back to factory. Routine maintenance, reset... request for specific problem, reset. Never really address a problem just gloss over it. Needless to say I have become very good at turning off the backup beep ... every 5K miles

1 person likes this.
  7. jonsmilburn

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK folks, got the Prius back Saturday with a new Re-Involt hybrid battery. Battery plus installation ran about $2,200. Car is running great. Averaging about 2 MPG better than is was. 80 mile trip right after averaged about 54.5 MPG. I'll keep you posted now that it's colder. Work was done by Mac's Service Center in Ashland, VA Mac's Service Center - expert auto repair - Ashland, VA 23005 804-368-0213. Mac is very nice and professional. He details all cars after every service. I even got a follow up phone call on Monday. Feel free to contact me regarding this service. For DIY, he did say that replacing pairs of modules would be dicy, Since balance among all of the modules is key. And it's really bad to let a hybrid battery lay around i.e. salvage battery. Also, he said that most batteries don't need to be replaced, that it is usually terminal corrosion. I had that plus several burned cells. I can provide much more detail/tech specs if anyone wants.

292f4b7a-bfef-4a48-b01a-c87e0765f0f8.jpeg

b75a27e0-eabb-49e2-a305-b6a3f6877ccb.jpeg

ddbc9c89-70e9-4259-bd7b-a8cef4cca2af.jpeg

Doxie4 and wjtracy like this.
  8. jonsmilburn

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Forgot to add that this work was done after 223,000 miles. Like the lady in Connecticut said in her post: About the same money as buying tires (<1 cent per mile). Course I don't like buying tires twice and not all at once, but I DO like getting 50+ MPG.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you Northern Virginian's are still out there, do you think the places in Asburn or Alexandria would be also good at 100k miles service such as checking the Prius fan for clogging etc? In other words, are they Prius experts? I have actually been happy with my dealer Miller in Manassas but would like to keep costs down and still get good quality. Also going to need new water pump but want to delay if poss.

10. RYH

RYH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I notice the last post was in 2010, hopefully you get this reply but I was wondering how your battery was doing after 2 years. I am also considering ReInvolt. Did you deal with them or directly with Mac's from the beginning? Thanks!

11. Early Fan Nora

Early Fan Nora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's another vote for Mac's Service Center in Ashland, VA. He saved me $2,800 on a $5,000 dealer estimate for an inverter for my Gen I. I got absolutely excellent service -- AND he also guarantees his work for 36k miles or 36 mos! That's where I'll be going from now on, even though he's about 90 miles away from my home.

usnavystgc likes this.
  12. Widget

Widget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've just spent a couple weeks searching for this info, the best option that I found was a guy who refurbishes batteries in Ashland, VA. He was definitely cheaper than the reinvolt option.

I drove down yesterday to have my gen II battery replaced (so far so good but its only been a day). He sells on ebay with the ID solar-glass-wind, has good reviews.
    (HYBRID BATTERIES)
    His phone # is eight-O-four two six four seven one seven one, email solarglasswind at hotmail dot com

He has a mobile van, drives out for installation (he's willing to come up in the DC area for a fee) and can refurb your battery or just sell an existing charged one. He has a 1 year warranty on his refurbed batteries.

While he had everything opened, we checked out the fan, etc. as well.

rahboogie79 likes this.
  13. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  14. Widget

Widget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At the time of this post - He (Todd) sells the batteries for $999, $200 for installation, -$150 core refund, + extra fee for driving long distances.

I think it took less than 2 hours for him to replace mine, but I was badgering him by making him explain and letting me take pics.

[​IMG]

rahboogie79 likes this.
  15. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds like a good price. Just north of Richmond. Good find! Thanks.

rahboogie79 likes this.
  16. OnleySmart

OnleySmart New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just used prius hybrid repair in annapolis with great results. He comes to you.

17. Grampienva

Grampienva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try Steve in Upper Marlboro, 240-508-1219. He is the installer for a West Coast firm, GreenTec that offers fair price. Good luck...

18. Widget

Widget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like greentec is about $1345 + $500, but then there is a core that has to be returned to get teh $500 back and shipping paid for, etc. How much does it all end up total?

19. aechewni

aechewni New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    , post: 1800737, member: 111117"]At the time of this post - He (Todd) sells the batteries for $999, $200 for installation, -$150 core refund, + extra fee for driving long distances.

I think it took less than 2 hours for him to replace mine, but I was badgering him by making him explain and letting me take pics.

Hey Just wondering how Todds work held up. I'm comparing him to Mac's and the price difference is quite drastic. Did Todd just replace certain cells?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

JTM2955 likes this.
  20. Widget

Widget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He replaced the entire battery with a remanufactured one... It's been 2 years, I've probably gotten around 50k miles at least on the battery. He honored the warranty when I had a problem.