1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Baffler

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Apr 2, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ^ I have carefully read about turbo-fan jet engines on How Stuff Works dot com, and I just can't get my mind around it. The concepts of burning gas and thrust are all well and good, but I can't figure out how an engine that's basically open at both ends, with fans at both ends, can avoid having the thrust come out at both ends so that it pushes both ways and just stands still.

But you did answer what would have been my next question, which was why not use a turbine instead of a reciprocating engine. Cost would do it. I'm glad that commercial planes have turbos, though. I've been told they're much more reliable.

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once the fans are turning the air is driven in one direction. The compressor fan stages successively compress the air denser & denser, driving it with immense force into the combustion chamber; combustion is essentially continuous, a steady roaring fire whose path of least resistance is WITH the already established flow, further pulled aft by the turbines (that extract energy; they don't add to it; they drive the compressors) - and finally out the nozzle which is shaped to marshall every molecule of hyper-accelerated air straight back. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Same sequence as a four stroke recip, only all in one straight line.

You don't want to be anywhere near a jet engine running at high power. The noise alone would permanently deafen you, but that'd be the least of your concerns: even off to one side the suction into the front is so strong it'd yank you off your feet into the engine (it's happened, more than once), and the blast out the tailpipe would blow you into the next county.

Considering their power & expense, they're incredibly "fragile". Put a single #10 screw on the tarmac in front of a jet engine and it'll get sucked in and destroy the engine, ricocheting off all those hundreds of blades, breaking them, dinging them, throwing them out of balance so they impact the shrouds and tear them up, further wrecking the blades - ten million dollars or more shredded in an instant. Look at what a couple soft pliable ducks did to Sullenberger's Airbus engines. FOD (Foreign Object Damage) is a SERIOUS concern on airports and ALL the ramps & taxiways and runways are patrolled and policed rigorously to keep them clear of FOD. And you can't put screens in front of the intakes - they'd block too much air.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I understand that Boeing (many years ago) managed to get 737's certified for gravel runways with the use of gravel deflectors for the landing gear.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you know what they say about different strokes for different folks....:p

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know this.

Okay, this is the part I don't get. Since the turbines extract energy (to drive the compressors) I don't see how they can act to "further pull" the gas toward the back. If they are extracting energy, they are retarding the backward movement.

And the crux of my problem is that if the turbines are extracting enough energy to run the compressors, it would seem to cancel the effect of the push, because the burning (expanding) gas is pushing outward against the compressors as much as against the turbine.

I know it works. I just cannot conceptualize how the compressors, driven by the turbine, can counteract the effect of the gas, which is pushing outward with equal pressure in all directions.

This happened once on an episode of Firefly.

And yet, commercial aircraft are statistically much safer than private planes.

6. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I found this video it might help you Daniel to understand. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Iu4q6_9iw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Turbojet Turbofan Turboshaft Turbo - YouTube[/ame]

Aloha,

ED

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

1 person likes this.
  7. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No - and the fault appears to be inadequate schematic diagrams of turbojet interiors.

The front of the combustion chamber forms a wall between the combustion and the compressors, so the expanding gas goes where there's least resistance: into the turbines.

So, you ask, reasonably enough, if there's a wall separating the combustion chamber from the compressors, how the blazes does the compressed air get into the combustion chamber?

Through holes in the sides of the chamber, specially shaped and arrayed to create just enough turbulence to properly atomize the mixture, even sending some of the compressed flow forward into the front of the chamber to form a swirl called a "tore" that makes the mixing of air & kerosene more efficient.

This was written in 1949, and while jet engines then were a long way from the hyper-efficient machines they are today, the basics still apply:

The analytical design of a turbo-jet combustion chamber.

It was the only thing I could find (within a reasonabe amount of time spent searching) that explains in detail what happens inside the combustion chamber.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the explanation and the video.

I guess that makes sense. Sort of. (I cannot find a head-scratching emoticon...)

Thanks for finding and posting that. I can't read that fuzzy scan, though. I mean, I can read it, but it hurts my eyes to read more than a page.

Your explanation above of how the air gets into the combustion chamber is much more useful.

I've never been mechanically inclined. Another one that baffles me is the Stirling Cycle engine. I have two working model Stirling engines, and I've read the How Stuff Works article on it also, and it's totally beyond me. But they're cool. One is supposed to operate from the heat of your hand, but my hands are too cold, so I use the toaster. The other operates from a tiny alcohol lamp.

9. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're perhaps wondering the same thing I did after I wrote the explanantion: how does the compressed air get through the holes if the combustion pressure is greater than the compression (which it must be, else why bother to combust). In other words, how does 600PSI manage to flow into a chamber at 2000PSI?

I think the answer there is Bernoulli. Bernoulli discovered that increasing gas's velocity decreased its pressure. It's the principle exploited by airfoils: curve one side to "constrict" air passage across it, thus forcing it to speed up, and pressure will drop on that side, moving whatever has the airfoil shape toward the reduced pressure. If the thing with the airfoil shape is a wing, curved on the top, the wing will move up, and take the rest of the airplane up with it (if the attach bolts are secured properly).

Likewise, the jet engine's combustion chamber is open aft at the turbine inlet, the easiest exit for the expanding combusted gas. Since the gas escaping in one direction creates a velocity in addition to pressure, the pressure itself decreases. Logically, therefore, the PRESSURE inside the combustion chamber, especially along its inner walls, MUST be less than the compressor pressure, so the air can get in - and the high velocity of gas escape into the turbines achieves that.

Any jet expert on this board should check me on that, as it is pure surmise - and I haven't been able to find any documentation that addresses this particular point of engine design.

Leave it to Daniel to ask an EXTREMELY pertinent question that none of the rest of us was smart enough to ask.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That makes sense, though I would not have thought of it. Of course the gas is moving in complicated ways. But for someone to figure all that out and realize you could use it to make a propellerless plane was pretty smart.

Awwww... Thank you. :redface:

11. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Speaking of propellors, it's a sad commentary on our simplistic nature that we recognize the Wright brothers' achieving self-powered launch and sustained flight first (at a time in history where being first was more chance than otherwise, as several inventors were very close, most especially Curtiss & Bell), but fail to more broadly acknowledge their much more profound achievements: understanding and inventing the means to CONTROL flight, inventing the wind tunnel, and perhaps most significantly, understanding and inventing the propellor. The Wrights were definitely the first to grasp that an air propellor had to be radically different from a boat propellor, and radical in which ways - namely, that it had to have a high aspect ratio, slight pitch and high RPM. Their fundamental design has endured right to the present day.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Wright Brothers were bicycle men. The bicycle is a fundamentally unstable vehicle, requiring constant attention and manipulation to maintain control, but in return for the fundamental instability, it gives a high degree of maneuverability.

Their flyer, with its "canard" design, was similarly unstable, but maneuverable. As bicycle men, this did not bother them, it probably seemed natural to them. But wider adoption of flying machines required a control mechanism that was more stable, allowing sustained flight without unduly tiring the pilot. Thus nobody afterward adopted their control design.

Being first is so important to us, that people will do many things that are utterly pointless if they can be the first to do them. In the case of the Wright Brothers, they demonstrated what some folks thought was impossible: manned heavier-than-air flight. It was a significant achievement, even if others were close on their tail and their design was ultimately rejected.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unstable at rest, maybe, but the gyroscopic effect of rotating wheels make a significant difference once it's moving. It's even more apparent on motorcycles, with their heavier wheels and greater speeds. Some vehicles are more difficult to control than others, but they all require constant attention, even if it is from an autopilot.

From our perspective of a-hundred-and-something years later, the Wright Flyer almost looks like it's flying backwards. Still, I've seen canards on airplanes built long after 1903. Twisting the wings to enable turning was a great idea - modern 'flaps' are pretty much the same thing, in principle.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have proven to my own satisfaction on numerous occasions how unstable bicycles are. Eventually, I became satisfied that the proposition was well-enough established that I quit performing the experiment. :(

The difference between a car and a bike can be seen in the length of time I can let go of the steering wheel before the car veers off from a straight flat road, vs the length of time it takes a bike to fall over and dump me onto the pavement after I let go of the handlebars. This is not changed by the fact that some riders can control a bike without hands. They are still maintaining a much greater degree of active participation than needed by a car.

Similarly a modern airplane vs the Wright Flyer.

15. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    True - but try riding a thin-tire road bike alongside the Erie Canal for 30 miles on that evil gravel-coated pathway and the bike's intrinsic instability will command your undivided attention the entire distance. That was my 3rd worst day of long-distance cycling, the 1st & 2nd a toss-up between 80 miles of 30MPH headwind in South Dakota and 80 miles at 15F & snow uphill in Alaska. Come to think of it, keeping the bike upright those days was no picnic either.

1 person likes this.
  16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding turbines- their fuel control system is much more sophisticated and complex then ICE's too. With turbines running very close to meltdown temps in normal ops, it's very easy for rookie pilots to do major damage during "hot starts", and over-torquing, improper use of APU's during startup, fuel contamination, etc.
    Startup procedures are very exacting and require monitoring several gauges simultaneously while also controlling the throttle, fuel cutoff switch- while also being prepared for an instant abort start procedure in the event of an impending hot start. You have 2 seconds to abort in the event of a hot start!!

Starting a $150k small turbine is not for the faint of heart-
    Here's the startup procedure for a typical single engine turbine helicopter:

1 person likes this.
  17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ^ Cool!

"Never attempt ANY helicopter operation without proper individual instruction."

Well, DUH!!! ;)

There are two hiking lodges I like where access to the lodge is by helicopter. (Once there, the hiking is out and back from the front door of the lodge.) I never realized how critical the starting procedure is.

OTOH, when I worked on the farm I drove a tractor that started on gasoline and then ran on diesel, and its starting procedure was a bit complicated as well:

Set compression lever to low, fuel switch to gasoline, spark to ON.

Press and hold starter button and wait for engine to catch. It would turn over VERY slowly until it did catch, and then horrid dirty smoke would spew out.

Wait 5 minutes for engine to warm up, during which time the smoke would more or less clear up.

SIMULTANEOUSLY turn fuel switch to diesel, move compression lever to high, and turn off the spark. Now the blackest, filthiest, stinkiest smoke imaginable would spew out like a pipe from hell.

Wait another 5 minutes for the engine to warm up even more, during which the smoke would clear to "normal" diesel stink-filth.

Drive.

The tractor had no power steering or cabin. The seat was just a shaped piece of metal on a sort of spring-metal blade. Not too bad, really. After a day of wrestling the wheel your arms felt like they were going to fall off. :(

(Sorry for the digression.)

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now think of the same procedure- but with twin turbines :eek:

I had the pleasure of flying for NY Helicopters several years ago.
    In addition to the single turbine Jet Rangers, Long Rangers, A-109 and several AS350 A Stars- we had several twin turbine helicopters including a few AS355 Twin Star's and three Sikorsky S58's that had been converted to twin turbine. As a young (25yo) co-pilot I remember being extremely nervous starting the twin turbine models (always under the supervision of a seasoned captain).
    All our aircraft had a red lamp keyed to the TOT gauge that would illuminate (and stay illuminated) if you over-temped or hot-started. It was infamously referred to as "the lava light". It was pretty much common knowledge that if you brought a ship home with the lava light on- you could just clean out your locker upon landing- and don't dare show up to collect your last paycheck!

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess that's why when I fly Horizon, first they start one motor, and once it's running, then they start the other. Never both at the same time.

(Horizon flies twin-engine turbo prop planes on short routes like Spokane to Seattle.)

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, here's an interesting development: a jet engine with no moving parts!