1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Basic vs Advanced

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by evebill8, Feb 21, 2012.

1. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I paid around 36,500 out the door for a Base PiP. This included a $500 discount off of MSRP, so figure $37K for you. I had no extra options other than floor mats and door trim guards. If the dealer is quoting you $40k for a car with no options, then it sounds like they are charging a markup for an orphaned car. Is a nearly 10% markup worth it to you to get it now?

2. kstitt

kstitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would shop around. MSRP for the basic is just under $30K, and allowing roughly 10% for tax and license plus just under $800 for freight there is a lot of extra profit in there. Try one of the "certified" dealers listed on PC. I believe they have been quoting $500 under MSRP.

3. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    MRSP on a Base PiP is $32K plus $760 for delivery/processing.

4. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I can sure empathize with you about trying to choose which one- I preordered the advance package plug in, and am not sure if I made the right decision- it is supposed to arrive next month.

I tend to like bells and whistles and my current prius is the basic no frills package, and I miss my former prius that had all the bells and whistles- so that is why I ordered the advanced package plug in - but then I wonder if . . .

Are there any dealerships nearby where you live that have both the basic and the advanced that you cal take a look at, and test drive?

Best wishes on your decision :)

5. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is only preorder so I have not seen the actual or either. I just do not like the MSRP on the website is so much lower than what I found it in the dealer. If the car is that expensive and I am ready, I will pay. If the price will only surprise on the check out, I do not like it. I feel very embarrassed if I walk without buying it.

6. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Your dealer is Messing with you and you should contact the Toyota Rep for your area.

7. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    If you pre-ordered through the online ordering system, you should have come to an agreed to price with the dealer at that time. You should be able to log on and print out your order summary. If you are pre-ordering as a walk-in customer, then you are at the mercy of the dealer as I suspect any open inventory will command a premium for a while.

8. janie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I still haven't made my final decision on the pre-order that I am waiting for- I am considering cancelling my plug in prius order, and then purchase a fully loaded Camry Hybrid instead . . .

9. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Camry hybrid looks good too, but I want the 13-15 miles pure electric mode to cover my wife's daily commute.

Indeed, I am just silly trying to be the early adapter for the PIP without paying the extra money. Hey folks, enjoy your PIP if you get it with a reasonable price. I may join the PIP family 6 months later.

10. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you actually pre-order a PiP via Toyota's website? Most, if not all of us, pre-ordered our PiP's via Toyota's website and got at least $500 off of MSRP.

11. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I did not order it from the website. I just walk in to the dealer that I used to buy my Prius and the salesman told me the price.

12. janie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Which dealer did you go to? I used to live in San Jose, about 8 years ago . . .

13. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Never mind. In fact, the dealer gave me a good deal before. I was just naive that they would offer me another good deal on the new models. I understand they have to make money when the demand is high. I will just wait for a little while.