1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery discharge by headlights when vehicle stopped

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Junglegym, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Junglegym

Junglegym New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to the Prius, so please forgive this very basic question. This evening, long after sundown, I found myself stuck on an unmoving expressway with no sign of traffic starting up again (the radio reported a vehicle fire ahead, all lanes blocked). Time dragged on, and I started worrying about the possibility of the headlights draining the 12V battery , assuming that they do indeed run off the 12V battery. In a conventional car this wouldn't have been a problem because the idling engine would have maintained enough battery charge, but of course here the ICE wasn't running. So I turned off the power button to shut down the lights (it's a Canadian car, so there's no way of turning off the headlights with the power button on). That was safe in this particular situation because there were plenty of stopped vehicles behind me. It definitely would not have been safe if mine had been the last vehicle in the lineup.

Was I worrying unnecessarily? In other words, would the ICE have started up if the system had sensed that the 12V battery was getting too low?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the ICE cycles on and off automatically to maintain the high voltage traction battery, which in turn maintains the 12v auxiliary battery.

People have even camped/slept in the Prius overnight with the Prius in Park/Ready and the AC on. ;)

SCH-I535

#2 xliderider, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just leave the car in Ready mode. The traction battery will keep the 12V battery charged, and the ICE will start as needed to charge the traction battery.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are better off to leave the car running as it takes care of all you are worried about. The ice will start if the pack needs charging. The 12v is taken care of by the big pack. The 12v basically takes care of the PC's. H

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There isn't an alternator run by the engine like a conventional car, the 12v battery is instead charged by a DC-DC converter that runs off the HV battery (which is charged my the motor-generators in the transmission and the computer makes sure it stays charged). So don't worry about it.

6. Junglegym

Junglegym New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks, folks. That's very helpful and reassuring.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And yes, all the 'Normal Car" stuff is 12 volt. The A/C compressor is 201v AC, and the Motor/Generators are 550 v AC, but pretty much everything else is 12v DC.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually there are -two- alternators. MG1 and MG2. And they are turned by the engine (if running). But it's a different system than an obsolete type vehicle. As partially explained above.