1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery life - concerns?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DZD, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DZD

DZD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning to purchase a 2010 or 2011 Prius - when I mentioned this to a few friends some of them mentioned that I should not as I would be stuck with what seems to be a large cost of replacing the batteries. I did some research (and used the Search function) but could not find any issues regarding this. So - any concerns regarding the batteries? Is there a different warranty for them? Have any of you had to repair or replace them? If so, what was the cost.

Thanks everyone.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you should replace your friends.;)

kenoarto and telmo744 like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In a decade, when you need to replace your battery, costs will be lower than now.
    The car will be 12 years old, why would you buy a new battery, there are plenty of used batterys. (More folks wreck their Prius than have kept one 12 years)

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your friends are just repeating a bit of the large amount of FUD, Fear Uncertainty Doubt, surrounding the Prius.

You should also not purchase any other vehicle because the you would be stuck with the large cost of replacing the transmission when it goes too.

The batteries in the Prius are warranted for 100K miles or 8 years in non-CARB states, and 150K miles or 10 years in CARB states. That doesn't mean they die at 100K or 150K, it means that if it does die, you get a new free one. Just like your tranny is warranted to 60K miles, it doesn't just explode at 60,001 miles.

Some people have had replacements under warranty. Some people have had failures just outside of warranty. In most of these cases Toyota has stepped up under no obligation to do so and cover all to most of the cost. Others have 400K miles on the vehicle with the original battery and showing no signs of weakness. It is a part with a failure rate like any other part, but the "average" lifetime that us around here guess is in the 250K mile area.

A salvaged battery is a battery pulled from a wrecked car. Most Prii that are totalled are because of accidents not breakdown. The battery is perfectly fine with a couple tens of thousands of miles on it. You can buy them for a couple hundred dollars from a junkyard. If you want a rebuilt solution from a reputable shop, you are looking around $1500. If you go to the dealership and just say "fix it", be prepared to write a cheque for about $2500.

Now $2500 USD over 250K miles is pretty darn good and that is the most expensive option. What normal transmission has 0 problems at 250K miles? What's the average cost to rebuild or replace a transmission? About the same.

On top of this, the Prius has no synchros or shifting gears to grind away over the years like a normal transmission. It has no torque converter. It has no starter motor to go bad. It has no alternator to go bad. It has regenerative brakes which means most peoples' brakes look almost new at 150K miles on the clock. The Prius is one of the most reliable and mechanically sound vehicles ever built with a combustion engine in it.

Jeffrey Jessup, boppo, bigrin and 3 others like this.
  5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is truth so elusive, and lies so pervasive?

I have a 2004 with 111,00km, and I have yet to replace any of the batteries.

Haven't done a brake job yet, either.

6. DZD

DZD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the detailed and logical response - you're right - it's just like any other major part of any other vehicle except with a better warranty and lower replacement cost. :cool:

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Making your way here was the biggest step in finding the truth. I used to listen to all that stuff on other sites, but then I decided to find out on my own that it was all BS. Unfortunately, the falsehoods still persist. :rolleyes:

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The batt is warrantied for 8yrs/100000miles or 10yrs/150000 miles in CARB states, so that's one reason we like Newbies's to fill in the location (state) in the profile so we can see where you are.

If you check out Consumer Reports annual auto issue, you will see Prius has been one of the most reliable cars on the market, and that includes the battery. That's not to say none have failed, but it has not been a factor.

My 2006 has 125000 miles and blue book value according to my VA state tax man is still $8850. I don't think any other car retains its value to well, if so let me know, I won't buy it since we get taxed annually on the residual in VA.

9. bigrin

bigrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    EXCELLENT POST. I know of Taxi Drivers who drive the Prius who have over 300K miles with same battery.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    200,000km on mine without issue.
    Change the transmission oil every 100,000km (60,000 miles)
    Replace the inverter cooling pump at 160,000km (100,000 miles) and rest easy.
    Otherwise follow Toyota spec servicing.

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To replace the engine in any manufacturers car is expensive, so is the transmission. Do you stay awake at night worrying about replacing those? No you don't. The same is true of Prius drivers.

Some people may get stung with a new battery in a Prius (that may be outside warranty) but many people get stung with replacement transmissions with other cars. Don't lose sleep over it.

patsparks likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How's the battery holding up? Notice any slight differences in it yet? Mine's at 80k miles (and is no longer used as a cab) and does seem to cycle a little quicker than it used to, but then some days it's fine. Saying that, I only do 3k miles a year now instead of 3k a month :)

13. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't Worry! Be Happy! Don't Worry! Be Happy!

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't seem no different to me.
    The driving style has changed and a subsequent increase in fuel consumption because I now live in a small town, my partner drives the Prius to work because I have a company car. Short trips or highway driving all the time now where I used to drive 40km each way in urban traffic in 60 and 80km/h speed limits. Still get 4.3 L/100km when I drive in the city though so no change in the battery I suspect. We are still putting about 20,000km on it per year. Drove itr today and it has about 206,000km on the clock.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.