1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery-Maker Exide Files Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by gliderman, Jun 12, 2013.

1. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Battery-Maker Exide Files Bankruptcy
    Well-known marine battery maker Exide Technologies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Monday in a Delaware federal court.

Court documents indicate the company has $1.9 billion in assets and $1.1 billion in liabilities.

"In recent years a number of factors have contributed to a decline in Exide's earnings and liquidity position, ultimately making this Chapter 11 filing a necessary step for Exide to de-lever its balance sheet," the company said in court documents.

Those factors included rising production costs that cut into margins and the lingering downturn in Europe, which accounts for about 51.2 percent of the company's revenue, court documents showed.

Loss of Walmart's business, result of intense competition in which the giant retailer signed an exclusive agreement with Johnson Controls, Exide's major competitor, resuled in a $160 million annual loss to revenue.

Based in Milton, Ga., Exide operates 13 manufacturing facilities and employs about 3,600 people in the United States.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's shocking!

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How reVolting... ;)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Texas doesnt accept companies that are out of compliance any more than SC. A poorly run company is not going to survive anywhere, except when backed by the Federal Government, using taxpayers money.

massparanoia likes this.
  7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, it took a private contractor like Eric Snowden to take his oath to protect Government secrets seriously.

He became prosecutor, judge and jury on what was appropriate to release to the public.

8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Same was true of Ronald Ridenhour.

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm....
    Just bought two Exide marine batteries at BJ's last week for the boat.
    Wonder how they'll (BJ's) handle warranty issues in cases like this if Exide goes out of business?

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exide is in Chapter 11, not Chapter 7. Chapter 11 is reorganization, not liquidation. They will still be in business.

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah- I understand they're in Ch 11, I'm wondering what happens if things go down hill from there and they go under. Back in the 80's I worked for a co that went ch 11, a little over a year later they went completely out of business. I have to take a look at the warranty on the two batts I just bought last week (haven't installed them in the boat yet) if there's a 3 year warranty I'm going to question the Cust Svc people at BJ's this weekend to see what their policy is in such situations. I might end up returning them depending on their response.

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    From my experience, basically, battery warranties are worthless, anyway. Usually there is a on or two year full replacement warranty and the rest is pro-rated.

If a battery last a year, it would more likely than not, last at least 3-4 or even more.

I hate pro-rated warranties.

If you bought a battery with either the Sears or WalMart brand name, they would have to honor it.

When K-Mart was in almost every town across the US, I bought from them. When I lived in Houston, I took a trip to New Mexico. The battery went South. I got a replacement at the local K-Mart.

That's why I now prefer to buy the WalMart brand. The warranty is worthless, if you can't get a local replacement.

13. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Friend in the battery business told me that most all batteries from a manufacturer are all from the same line, no difference in 2 or 4 year batteries, for example. You are only paying for warranty. Nobody knows how long they will last, some 2, some 6 years. So the warranty is just a sort prepaid replacement policy. With diminishing value.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if the fed has any bailout money left? think of the lost jobs...

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my current boat batteries are from Sept 2007, so they lasted 5 seasons- I think they're still OK, but I don't feel comfortable going out on the LI Sound with two six year old batteries.
    I'm concerned that if one of them fails within the two year non-prorated period and Excide goes belly up- I'm basically SOL at that point!
    Funny thing is- our local BJ's shares a parking lot with a WalMart.. so I may just return the two Excides and buy replacements at WalMart.

16. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sad news. I dont use the Exide flooded cell batteries, but I do like the Exide Orbital, a spiral cell AGM clone of the Optima battery. I have a dozen that are 10 + years old and still strong. I have not bought an Optima red top starting battery for years, because the Exide orbital was as good performing and $20-$30 cheaper. Now Optima has taken a big price jump. Last I looked a few months ago they were(red top) $185 at Sams club, while the last Exide Orbital I bought was $150.(2-3 years ago, so they also may have seen a price increase.)

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The biggest killers of batteries is heat and deep discharge (even for those designed as "deep cycle). I had a friend who had two 12 year old Optimas on his boat. For the first couple of years, he didn't put a maintainer on then during the Winter. They left us once stranded on the Chesapeake Bay. I taught him how to "rope start" the outboard.

For the next 10 years, he put a battery maintainer on them. I made sure that he got weak ones that never went above 12.5 volts, although some are specially made for AGM batteries that went.

When h sold the oat with the 12 year old Optimas, they were still good.

I recommended the lower voltage chargers, because overcharging creates hear and boils away the water in the electrolyte.

I'm NOT an expert, but I know what works.

18. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips. Yes, I use 4 battery charger / maintainers that say they are specifically designed to be safe for AGM batteries. I rotate them through my fleet of equippment in the off season (about 25 units) so they get a few days on the charger / maintainer about once per month.

Mike500 likes this.
  19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're very welcome.

If you fully discharge a battery, recharging it with the 60 amp alternator in a car doesn't help to preserve battery life, either. A fully discharged battery is best charged slowly at 3-5 amp rate.